Recording Bloopers

Kenb

this topic may well have been done before...if so sorry

with 14 days of lock-down i've got to the point where i'm throwing any records at my turntable i haven't played for years.

i noticed on LP TML 11070 Diana Ross & The..... 'Live at Talk of the Town'...(i've not played this since about 1970)

at Side One, Track 5, there is some preamble from Diana about the conductor, and then just a second or two before the song kicks in Diana says "Here is a nice sweet soft ballad from West Side Story", when in fact it is 'You Keep Me Hanging On'.

I guess she did a West Side Story song at one of her shows when contracted to appear at TofTT and the engineers have just missed it. Oh how the QA at Motown would have jumped on this, had it been their's.

what's your recording blooper memory.

Social source share

How about the "Carresors-I can't stay away"  , the Harley hog that can be heard driving off up the street because they left the studio rear door open on a blistering hot day .... ?

( As told to me recently by a very knowledgable collector , as opposed to some powder-addled freak at 3am in a dark room )

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

How about the "Carresors-I can't stay away"  , the Harley hog that can be heard driving off up the street because they left the studio rear door open on a blistering hot day .... ?

( As told to me recently by a very knowledgable collector , as opposed to some powder-addled freak at 3am in a dark room )

Not lucky enough to own one of these. Have had a listen to the ones on YouTube not sure if it's my ears or because I am listening on phone i can't hear it 🙉 .

Any idea what time in the record you can hear it? 

Thanks mick

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Not lucky enough to own one of these. Have had a listen to the ones on YouTube not sure if it's my ears or because I am listening on phone i can't hear it 🙉 .

Any idea what time in the record you can hear it? 

Thanks mick

Gets kicked into life about 1:56 ... :shades:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 05/04/2020 at 12:21, Greedy Mick said:

Ha. Just streamed it through my tv and sound bar. Can certainly hear a deep grumbling noise.  Would never in a million years known what it was.  

Once heard , never forgotten ... good job it wasn't a scooter or it'd never have been noticed ... :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Bum note on Salvadors just before they start singing.  Jackie Lee, Temptation walk, 1.17  he comes in too early, no idea why this was overlooked it`s been obvious since the 1st time I heard it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I'm impressed by the hearing skills you lot have!

I would have missed them all.

Having said that I still cannot identify where 'lend a hand' is said in 'Lend a hand'....

I must be mutt and Jeff.

Ed

The backing singers start with the deep "Lend a hand" immediatly before Bobby sings " to this lonely man " ... if folks still can't hear this after endless plays then a trip to the otolaryngologist is definitely in order ... :rolleyes:

Social source share

14 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

The backing singers start with the deep "Lend a hand" immediatly before Bobby sings " to this lonely man " ... if folks still can't hear this after endless plays then a trip to the otolaryngologist is definitely in order ... :rolleyes:

A whatologist? I need to get my ears tested. 

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

Wish I'd never picked up a pneumatic jigger pick and bolt buster in my formative years....

Amazing how anybody can pick up those backing singers.....in deef for sure.

Ed

Social source share

Listen to Larry Allen - Cant We Talk It Over, about two thirds of the way in. The bass player gets totally lost and the piano is feeling its way back into the song !... the band are clearly just running through the song but someone decided that the take was fine.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Also if you listen to the ‘Get Ready’ break in Big Maybelle’s Quittin Time, again the bass player loses the plot  and goes for a bit of a walk. It was such a good take though, they had to use it!

I think I notice these as I play bass myself. Baby Boy will appreciate this... is he still on here?

Edited by Soulstu
Social source share

11 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Wish I'd never picked up a pneumatic jigger pick and bolt buster in my formative years....

Amazing how anybody can pick up those backing singers.....in deef for sure.

Ed

It`s the very 1st thing you hear after the intro music and the HEY HEY, a bit of twangin and lend a hand TO THIS LONELY MA-AN.

Social source share

I always thought that David came in way to early (about 6 seconds in) on this track.

The Temptations - Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Not a mistake by the musicians but whoever edited or transferred the tape left the count-in and someone, Clarence? coughing on the master tape. Could be mis-labeled tape or the engineer doing the mastering slipped up . Anyway I always quite liked it but can't see a radio station wanting to play it like this.

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

Drum intro to Edward Hamiltons  'im gonna love you' 

i think the drummer hit a dustbin lid,  instead of the snare drum 

EDIT:     sounds like band leader twatted something on the 4, to bring the rest in on 1 ?       it does it a few bars later as well ?   hmmmm

Edited by Ian Parker
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Ian Parker said:

EDIT:     sounds like band leader twatted something on the 4, to bring the rest in on 1 ?       it does it a few bars later as well ?   hmmmm

Sounds like a whip crack to me , continues throughout the track sporadically.

The more I actually listen to these records the messier they become which makes them all the more endearing , at times the drummer seems to be bashing away to a different tune entirely  , certainly no polishing on most of these tiny , motown wannabe , one take wonders ... :)

Social source share

2 hours ago, Ian Parker said:

Drum intro to Edward Hamiltons  'im gonna love you' 

i think the drummer hit a dustbin lid,  instead of the snare drum 

sounds like a kangaroo on meth amphet  I would think that might be Melvin Davis on drums. that can be easily established I guess 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

sounds like a kangaroo on meth amphet  I would think that might be Melvin Davis on drums. that can be easily established I guess 

Another drummer getting carried away is  on The Prophets I Got The Fever especially during the break in the middle 

Social source share

Kenny,bless him,by his own admission had a tendency to sing flat at times-there's an interesting  ,if brief ,documentary on Kenny on You Tube. He made some nice records,though.

Kenny is my home town of Sydenham,South London's contribution to Northern Soul -he was living  in Holmshaw Rd.( demolished in the early 70's) when he made 'What Love Brings'  'Ain't No Soul' etc  as well as his Psychedelic gem with The Cats Pyjamas on Direction in 68'

Social source share

J Jocko 'I'm Gettin' Over'. Superb record. I think it's got more than one drum track -like a phased drum track or loop that you hear from the intro, then recorded live over that including the drummer playing along. Hard to explain but anyway, around 3.11 to the end, definitely sounds like there's a second drummer who keeps coming in and out, going out of sync with the main drum pattern. 

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

One that springs to mind... 

Falcons - Love you like you’ve never been loved. 

One second in, sounds to me like a weird electronic bleep. 
Sounds like a right old error. But, like a wart on the nose of your beloved child, just makes you love the thing all the more. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!