US Postal Service COVID-19 Restrictions

Purchased a record from the USA. Recieved an email from the seller this morning, explaining The US Post Office are not allowing him to post to a foriegn destination. I accept the seller is an genuine upright guy. The question is, no one knows how long this will last, will my PayPal protection be extended? I have tried asking PayPal but it's a brick wall.

Social source share

I had to mail a few letters and asked about this at the Post Office. I was told there was a list of countries that

are not accepting mail from the U.S.  The clerk asked me what country I wanted to know about - I said England

and she told me the U.K. was not on the list. So.. I don't know if your seller is confused or if the state he's in is 

a Corona virus hot spot and they aren't allowed to ship overseas.  

She did warn me that if I shipped overseas, there would be big delays. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I would have thought it prudent to think hard about shipping from anywhere in the world right now. I haven't bought any records at all in the last ten days, and the last two I did were from Europe. Both would have arrived by now in the normal course of events but I'm still waiting. I imagine they will turn up but delivery times are going to be longer than usual, and that's even assuming they can be posted in the first place.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’m waiting on a package from Spain that was posted 11th and just arrived in the UK today. I have a guy in Paris who has been unable to post as the p.o. has not been accepting packages for weeks, so patience is the key. You have 180 days to make a PayPal claim

Edited by Sutty
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Soulgalore said:

Just been advised by US seller that "because of the COVID-19 virus situation the Post Office has denied shipment to the UK and most European countries until further notice".

i get the below statement viaa the below link found on the front page

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

Priority Mail Express International guarantee suspended to certain countries

Due to airline travel restrictions and cancellations, the U.S. Postal Service has temporarily suspended the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International destined to China, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. These suspensions will be in effect until further notice. The Postal Service is taking all reasonable measures to minimize impact to our customers.

any USA dealers like to confirm/expand? 

Social source share

Oh well, that just makes it official maybe... Somehow. It's been like so for almost 10 days for some parcel on my side; frozen USPS tracking. Patience is a virtue. I am and I'll just live with it fine like the confinement. The situation is bad enough. Still this goes to show that they just don't know how to handle this pandemic in coherence. That is seriously lacking. Even before day 1 !

This goes to show how bad and unresilient this modern economy (and = political) model of "ours" (imposed on us: the world) is. Only those responsible for this man made mess do benefit from safe havens like the the pharmaceutical laboratories, industries and Chinese (French and USA mainly accomplices, others silent witnesses) authorities in the large and broad sense.

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

i get the below statement viaa the below link found on the front page

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

any USA dealers like to confirm/expand? 

Just spoke to a dealer friend of mine and he said

"That concerns the guarantee on International Priority shipping, not the shipping itself": 
suspended the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International destined to China, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Social source share

For my part, I have simply stopped buying records at this time from overseas as I'm not sure how likely they are to turn up.  An LP I bought from the Czech Republic has still not arrived and was apparently - and I have no reason to think it wasn't - posted just over three weeks ago.  I have never before not had a record arrive from Europe. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Just spoke to a dealer friend of mine and he said

"That concerns the guarantee on International Priority shipping, not the shipping itself": 
suspended the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International destined to China, France, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

yep, that was what I was saying

there is no mention of any other restrictions on their website

concerns a temporary suspension of the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International feature dated 23rd March

Priority Mail Express International Notice

As of March 23, 2020, USPS has temporarily suspended the guarantee on Priority Mail Express International service items destined for the following European countries:

France,Great Britain, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

any usa based dealers out there confirm/expand further?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Johndelve said:

For my part, I have simply stopped buying records at this time from overseas as I'm not sure how likely they are to turn up.  An LP I bought from the Czech Republic has still not arrived and was apparently - and I have no reason to think it wasn't - posted just over three weeks ago.  I have never before not had a record arrive from Europe. 

Think there is a bit if a lag everywhere.  I had one from Sweden last week which took about 10 days.

Hardly buying anything at the minute mind. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Think there is a bit if a lag everywhere.  I had one from Sweden last week which took about 10 days.

Hardly buying anything at the minute mind. 

There must be a postage lag here from the UK as well as I posted (international tracked and signed for to USA) 9 days ago (LP) and it left the UK on 31st March (Langley) but nothing since

Social source share

18 hours ago, Mike said:

any usa based dealers out there confirm/expand further?

I am a Detroit-based seller on ebay and discogs.  shipping is VERY slow at moment, even shipping within the USA is delayed.  I'm assuming the near complete cessation of commercial flights is to blame.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I mailed a few things overseas just before we closed the shop. One 45 got to the States in 6 days but another, shipped a day or two before has been stuck in Chicago airport facility for over two weeks. I suspect I'll end up refunding.

The other around: a record on my way is stuck at Chicago International facilities since 10 days now. In your shoes I'd expect the buyer to be understanding in regard of the global situation not to issue a refund procedure. At least I am that both ways 😉

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

The other around: a record on my way is stuck at Chicago International facilities since 10 days now. In your shoes I'd expect the buyer to be understanding in regard of the global situation not to issue a refund procedure. At least I am that both ways 😉

He seemed annoyed that a £12 record hadn't been set tracked. We state clearly that international orders over £20 are sent Tracked and Signed but below go standard unless we're specifically asked.

In the context of having our shop closed over Easter, when we live in a popular seaside holiday destination, plus huge uncertainty over Record Store Day, a refund for a £12 record plus shipping isn't a huge deal :(

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I shipped out 3 this past week to the u.k with no issues.. Also just as a fyi...Tracking numbers have not been working either...Even within the states....I'm in maryland and a buyer is in NY and has been messaging me that tracking is showing nothing..

Edited by Chess1458
Social source share

mine stuck somewhere ????

Due to the coronavirus emergency, deliveries may be delayed.

Dispatched
Step 1 - Completed - Dispatched Wed 25 MarWed 25 Mar

In transit
Step 2 - Exception - In transit

Out for delivery
Step 3 - Upcoming - Out for delivery

Estimated delivery
Step 4 - Upcoming - Estimated delivery Wed 22 AprWed 22 Apr

Tracking details

USPS tracking #LZ647011435US

2 Apr 2020

9:28pm

Processed Through Regional Facility

MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

31 Mar 2020

12:00am

In Transit to Next Facility

27 Mar 2020

7:37am

Arrived at Regional Facility

27 Mar 2020

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

27 Mar 2020

3:36am

Arrived at USPS Facility......................................................one can only wait 

Social source share

Domestic mail very slow here, have a package been on the road from Georgia to NYC for over a week, says it's due tuesday.
Likewise going out. That may be just because it's NYC I don't know.

Not sure about international now, I haven't sent anything to UK for a month but it did alright then.
Down the line it doesn't look good though

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/492377-trump-threatened-to-veto-stimulus-package-if-it-contained-bailout

https://www.kltv.com/2020/04/10/us-postal-service-says-it-will-run-out-money-by-september/

Social source share

On 10/04/2020 at 13:16, Steviehay said:

mine stuck somewhere ????

Due to the coronavirus emergency, deliveries may be delayed.

Dispatched
Step 1 - Completed - Dispatched Wed 25 MarWed 25 Mar

In transit
Step 2 - Exception - In transit

Out for delivery
Step 3 - Upcoming - Out for delivery

Estimated delivery
Step 4 - Upcoming - Estimated delivery Wed 22 AprWed 22 Apr

Tracking details

USPS tracking #LZ647011435US

2 Apr 2020

9:28pm

Processed Through Regional Facility

31 Mar 2020

12:00am

In Transit to Next Facility

27 Mar 2020

Arrived at Regional Facility

27 Mar 2020

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

27 Mar 2020

3:36am

Arrived at USPS Facility......................................................one can only wait 

mine are in Miami too. i guess it's all the Carolinasoul one's heading to the Uk?

Social source share

Just to add on from this . My package of 6 x 45’s got delivered here yesterday. All find and no extra duty. 

Not really any longer than normal but just as with all parcels delivered, make sure to wipe down all packaging and wash your hands after . 

soul 6958ED0D 8BB4 4B51 9DCC 6A268AFBF2C9

Social source share

In London am getting

• things trickling through very slowly (ie weeks) from UK sellers.
  • 'Shipped' notifications from US sellers
  • one or two shipped from European sellers with comms acknowledging delivery likely to be slow

Have avoided buying from worst-hit countries in Europe.

I see no reason to worry about things not turning up. They will eventually. You can get a good idea of track record with online sellers and they aren't gonna suddenly turn dishonest for short-term gain. Mail services will clear backlog and return to normal eventually. (And let's face it, most of us BITD have sent cash in an envelope to the USA in hope that something may arrive 2 or so months later!😄 )

Only mickey-taker I have had so far is some fella in London who claimed because of the crisis he didn't have time to get to a Post Office but suggested instead, me and him each spend two hours walking (he insisted on walking) there and back, breaking social-distancing instructions so he could hand over a record in person...Heaven knows what was going on there!

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

10 hours ago, Joesoap said:

In London am getting

• things trickling through very slowly (ie weeks) from UK sellers.
  • 'Shipped' notifications from US sellers
  • one or two shipped from European sellers with comms acknowledging delivery likely to be slow

Have avoided buying from worst-hit countries in Europe.

I see no reason to worry about things not turning up. They will eventually. You can get a good idea of track record with online sellers and they aren't gonna suddenly turn dishonest for short-term gain. Mail services will clear backlog and return to normal eventually. (And let's face it, most of us BITD have sent cash in an envelope to the USA in hope that something may arrive 2 or so months later!😄 )

Only mickey-taker I have had so far is some fella in London who claimed because of the crisis he didn't have time to get to a Post Office but suggested instead, me and him each spend two hours walking (he insisted on walking) there and back, breaking social-distancing instructions so he could hand over a record in person...Heaven knows what was going on there!

He didn't propose meeting on Clapham Common did he !?! lol

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I ordered 19 records from a seller in New York on Discogs on the 10th March, the last tracking update was 29th March that the package was at Chicago Distribution Centre. I have just received a new update email that the package has arrived today at Chicago O'Hare Airport. Phew🤦‍♂️ It's a longer waiting game now I suppose, hope this will put a few of you who are waiting at ease a little. Now to find out whereabouts the three ebay ones are 😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Wiggyflat said:

I think the depots are heaving.....just got a cracked Tony Owens from a UK seller....could not fault the packaging either !

soul cracked record 2

If there is nothing wrong with the packaging, will the Post Office pay out ? as I HAD to show photos (of the Packaging) on my claim recently

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

He sent it special delivery.I am sending it back to him in the original packaging and i have taken photos so i think he is covered.I can only imagine the warehouses are knee deep as people are buying everything online and the packages are being trampled on.. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Wiggyflat said:

He sent it special delivery.I am sending it back to him in the original packaging and i have taken photos so i think he is covered.I can only imagine the warehouses are knee deep as people are buying everything online and the packages are being trampled on.. 

I know it's not a Don Gardner like John Manships Cheatin kind sorry tale, but what a shame for the seller and you

Social source share

I've been waiting a month now for one from the states it is tracked. According to the tracking it has got as far as Chicago. I'm not overly concerned, the seller is aware of it & seems ok. When do you say, "I've waited long enough" & press the claim button? These are unprecedented times.

Social source share

FWIW I live in Manhattan  NYC, we haven't got any mail since Friday and other areas in the city are the same
I went down to the local PO to see if they had a package there that was held up, fortunately they had and the guy was willing to go dig around for it.
He said their casualty list was "extensive", especially in mail carriers and I would assume it is the same in most major US cities / mail hubs. They have sorting guys etc out trying to do the rounds
They are having to scrabble around for their own  masks, gloves etc.
I've had very slow mail going out of the city too.

They all get a round of applause from me, and if it's still being tracked at all I'd cut them huge slack

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Records arrived from Carolina Soul yesterday that had been thru Miami and another that came via Los Angeles. Still waiting on a record that's been in Chicago mail hub since March 22nd, according to tracking update on that date is 'In Transit', with a Covid notice on it, so it looks like generally stuff getting thru albeit much slower and dependent on the route.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Bazm said:

Records arrived from Carolina Soul yesterday that had been thru Miami and another that came via Los Angeles. Still waiting on a record that's been in Chicago mail hub since March 22nd, according to tracking update on that date is 'In Transit', with a Covid notice on it, so it looks like generally stuff getting thru albeit much slower and dependent on the route.

OK, would you be so kind to tell me if  the tracking from Carolina Soul from Miami to your doorstep showed the progress or did it remained frozen since and once it arrived at the Miami international distribution center ?

Social source share

Ive had 2 package from States that took a week longer than normal. a package which has been sitting in Miami for 8 days & is now at Heathrow   . More worrying is my tame postie told me today that parcelforce have cancelled all overtime!! They had been starting at 4am , going to the main sorting depot and getting their van full then sorting back at local depot.  He says its worse than Xmas  , the only way you'll get anything is if its tracked  as thats a premium service .

Social source share

14 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

OK, would you be so kind to tell me if  the tracking from Carolina Soul from Miami to your doorstep showed the progress or did it remained frozen since and once it arrived at the Miami international distribution center ?

Quoted as being in Miami, then 'in transit' for an unusual length of time, checked every day, no change, then just turned up yesterday and tracking changed to delivered...still wating on records from different (well known) source that according to tracking has been 'in transit' since 22nd March, not panicing though, unusual circumstances and there's probably a backlog now....

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!