Murder On The Dancefloor?

Winnie :-)

Having scanned through some of the previous topics, I realise this may have come up before, but it is a permanent bee in my bonnet.

Why do people constantly put talc on the floor? Are leather soled shoes a thing of the past? Most floors these days are fine without, is it just a traditionalist type of thing.....Is there a how to be a soulie book that I'm unaware of, that instists the use of talc is mandatory?

What really does my head though.......someone comes along, chucks down a bucket of talc dances once, then wanders off. The same person will tut at me because I put something down to slow the floor, surely it should be live and let live. In general I dance most of the night, so feel I shouldn't be maligned for making a small spot on the floor comfortable for me.

Any thoughts?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As you know Winnie, you and I are as one on this and we can often be found at the back of the Plinston dealing out swift justice to those that partake of the powdering of floors, only to then walk off and leave us to tip-toe through dance moves!!!! Some floors do need talc to shuffle on etc but in the main (halls) most do not so please stop doing it!

Social source share

Having scanned through some of the previous topics, I realise this may have come up before, but it is a permanent bee in my bonnet.

Why do people constantly put talc on the floor? Are leather soled shoes a thing of the past? Most floors these days are fine without, is it just a traditionalist type of thing.....Is there a how to be a soulie book that I'm unaware of, that instists the use of talc is mandatory?

What really does my head though.......someone comes along, chucks down a bucket of talc dances once, then wanders off. The same person will tut at me because I put something down to slow the floor, surely it should be live and let live. In general I dance most of the night, so feel I shouldn't be maligned for making a small spot on the floor comfortable for me.

Any thoughts?

link

And yes Winston who's the person who would tut at you,not me I hope I like to keep in the same place all night but I know were you are coming from what pisses me off they stand next to you with pints beer in there hands beer alnighters do not go together but talc and alnighters do

Social source share

And yes Winston who's the person who would tut at you,not me I hope I like to keep in the same place all night but I know were you are coming from what pisses me off they stand next to you with pints beer in there hands beer alnighters do not go together but talc and alnighters do

==========

I wasn't referring to you, or any particular individual Billy......just that it seems a general trend that people put down talc whether the floor needs it or not

Social source share

==============

Sorry, I should also have said.....I agree that beer and nighters are not a good mix, but as the scene is more social these days, I don't think we can escape that. But don't agree that talc is obligatory.....surely it depends on the state of the floor. Stoke, Plinston, Aquarius, Goodyears, Willington....I could go on, but none of those need talc IMO. Even the 100 which can be a little tricky I grant you, is rarely in need of talc these days. What's wrong with leather souled shoes?

I do recognise that you stay in one place mate, as do I, and that you dance most of the night, again as do I, so have no objections to people like yourself putting down talc, as I know you're going to dance in it. It's the people who put it on the floor, spread it around, and then sit down for an hour :)

Social source share

It really annoys me when people chuck talc everywhere. It should be used with discretion and my advice would be to put a bit down at the edge of the dancefloor. You can then keep going back for a shuffle in that spot and line your souls.

Shane :)

Social source share

Due to my collar bone being broken in a incident involving a mint Austin Allegro in Vermillion Orange and South Yorkshire Police vehicle I will be requesting a talc ban at Ponds Forge. :)

Shane

Social source share

It really annoys me when people chuck talc everywhere. It should be used with discretion and my advice would be to put a bit down at the edge of the dancefloor. You can then keep going back for a shuffle in that spot and line your souls.

Shane :)

link

Shane,

Nothing to do with the thread. But why weren't you playing on Wednesday? You might have put Nicky Barmby out of the game!

Now back to the talcum powder debate.......

Social source share

Shane,

Nothing to do with the thread. But why weren't you playing on Wednesday? You might have put Nicky Barmby out of the game!

link

:D:)

Shane

Social source share

Due to my collar bone being broken in a incident involving a mint Austin Allegro in Vermillion Orange and South Yorkshire Police vehicle I will be requesting a talc ban at Ponds Forge. :)

Shane

========

I've been to Ponds Forge a few times, and should have included it in my dancefloors that don't need talc. Great floor!!

They used to have a similar venue in kettering at the leisure village, same sort of floor....excellent IMO

Social source share

Shane,

=========

Barmby's still got to much quality for that league IMO, should have stayed with us, and would have if it hadn't been for his bloody Dad!!

Anyway Kev, what do YOU think of talc on the floor :)

Social source share

Any thoughts?

link

Winston,

You're right mate live and let live indeed :D

Those that feel they need a bit of talc should put a LITTLE down on the edge of the floor and freshen their soles/souls between dances....that used to be the way, didn't it?

What if, though, there was a convention that, say the RHS was talced and the LHS wasn't?

Last weekend I discovered a hitherto unthought of hazard of talc!!

I called in at Awsworth on my way to Flipside and about 11.00 the fire alarm went off. The explanation given for this was that talc had drifted into the smoke sensor :D

My own theory, however, is that the static from Brian Rae's polyester shirt caused a spark which ignited some flyers :):D:D

One thing we are all in agreement about though...keep the bloody beer off the dancefloor :angry:

Social source share

I get totally bollocked when the 100 Club's been showered in it and have to pay the cleaner extra as it's a sod to shift.

Crazy Simon's great T-Shirt says it all

NO TALC

link

Hands Up here......have used talc at 100 club (went in trainers...i know, i know) but with discretion off the floor next to that pillar infront of stairs.... :)

Social source share

Hands Up here......have used talc at 100 club (went in trainers...i know, i know) but with discretion off the floor next to that pillar infront of stairs....  :)

link

Brett, you are allowed to do anything you like, you have the full backing of the Brett Franklin Stalkers club behind you :D:D

Social source share

I get totally bollocked when the 100 Club's been showered in it and have to pay the cleaner extra as it's a sod to shift.

NO TALC

link

=============

He does have another nickname you know :)

But that was the point I was making Ady, I was there Saturday, and the floor was perfect, but people still put down talc......it's an addiction I tell ya, an addiction :D

Social source share

Winston,

You're right mate live and let live indeed :D

Those that feel they need a bit of talc should put a LITTLE down on the edge of the floor and freshen their soles/souls between dances....that used to be the way, didn't it?

What if, though, there was a convention that, say the RHS was talced and the LHS wasn't?

Last weekend I discovered a hitherto unthought of hazard of talc!!

I called in at Awsworth on my way to Flipside and about 11.00 the fire alarm went off. The explanation given for this was that talc had drifted into the smoke sensor :D

My own theory, however, is that the static from Brian Rae's polyester shirt caused a spark which ignited some flyers :D:):D

One thing we are all in agreement about though...keep the bloody beer off the dancefloor :angry:

=============

Don't mind people putting talc down if they're going to dance.....but don't want people to put it down just cos it's in the "guidelines to a being a soulie" pamphlet :D This comment is NOT aimed at anyone in particular.

Another hazard....talc can cause asthmatics problems....although I always carry my inhaler with me.....and generally use it just before having a fag :D

Social source share

i'm with you winnie , overuse of talc is bloody annoying ...there is someone in scotland who seems to be bloody obsessed by the stuff and it stopped me dancing at caley soul .....now maybe i was wearing too precious footwear but i wasn't prepared to f*** up a pair of shoes on a floor an inch deep in talc

Davie ranting_1.gif

Social source share

NO TALC

========

No it's moving away from the topic Ade, but just wanted to say nice one putting Ali on at the 100 ranting_1.gif

I think she'll go down a storm!

Social source share

No it's moving away from the topic Ade, but just wanted to say nice one putting Ali on at the 100  ranting_1.gif

I think she'll go down a storm!

link

Seconded Winnie, am looking forward to seeing Ali behind the decks again

Social source share

Maybe we should all employ a trick I saw Roger Banks use at a recent do where the floor was awash with talc...he went into the middle of the floor, scraped up handfuls and then proceeded to clap loudly during the stompers! Talc was showered everywhere and they soon got the hint...!

As per usual it seemed to be the people who never go anywhere to understand current 'floor etiquette' who were slinging the stuff down and running around in it with a pint and a fag!

Social source share

Maybe we should all employ a trick I saw Roger Banks use at a recent do where the floor was awash with talc...he went into the middle of the floor, scraped up handfuls and then proceeded to clap loudly during the stompers! Talc was showered everywhere and they soon got the hint...!

As per usual it seemed to be the people who never go anywhere to understand current 'floor etiquette' who were slinging the stuff down and running around in it with a pint and a fag!

link

=================

I was at Wellingborough tonight, and for those who've never been it is literally one of the fastest floors I've ever danced on. And still the punters were putting down talc....it really is hard to stand up on, let alone dance. Did my usual trick, putting down a little water to slow it up, then got moaned at by someone cos they wanted to dance. Didn't matter to them that I was actually dancing there....the person felt I was in the wrong :shades: I tried to smile sweetly, but apparently it's not my strongest suit ranting_1.gif She then danced for two records, and sat down, her desire to dance quenched whistling.gif

Serious question here, if someone were to have an accident at one of these nights...would they have recourse to sue?

Social source share

I went to the last TOS last night, and the room had been renovated, had a makeover, it's been described as similar to an Ikea showroom, so anyone whe has been there will get the picture. It has a new wooden floor, but it did need a bit of talc. Obviously not barrel loads of the stuff.

Anyway good manners should ensure discretion is used when putting it on the floor. I've gone over when it has been too slippery. Probably others too.

Social source share

=================

I was at Wellingborough tonight, and for those who've never been it is literally one of the fastest floors I've ever danced on. And still the punters were putting down talc....it really is hard to stand up on, let alone dance. Did my usual trick, putting down a little water to slow it up, then got moaned at by someone cos they wanted to dance. Didn't matter to them that I was actually dancing there....the person felt I was in the wrong  :yes: I tried to smile sweetly, but apparently it's not my strongest suit  ranting_1.gif She then danced for two records, and sat down, her desire to dance quenched whistling.gif

Serious question here, if someone were to have an accident at one of these nights...would they have recourse to sue?

link

I hope you was not refereing to me, :ranting_ :shades: remember people spacial awareness that says it all(do think that sounds good coming from i sound intelligent) :shades:

Social source share

Talc should stay on power lifters hands and babys arses

where it belongs

Not all over the bloody floor

link

Power lifters arses & babys hands ?. ranting_1.gif

My lovely wife, loves to dance, she's never off the floor, talc everywhere, think all this is much a do about nothing IMO...... whistling.gif

Social source share

Your right

i wont lose any sleep over the talc floor debate tonight

Never used it myself

when you see talc appear you expect some fancy hot dangin footwork

But lately

all i seem to see is someone saunter over to the floor

apply the talc

then shuffle about on it*

*not every talc user

Social source share

Power lifters arses & babys hands ?. thumbsup.gif

My lovely wife, loves to dance, she's never off the floor, talc everywhere, think all this is much a do about nothing IMO...... smile.gif

link

=============

No real problems if people talc the floor then keep dancing...it's the ones that do it as a matter of course :shades:

Social source share

=============

No real problems if people talc the floor then keep dancing...it's the ones that do it as a matter of course  smile.gif

link

Maybe its not really talc, but some mind altering drug, to make us believe that the music that is being played is actually quality soul music, when really it isn't... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Maybe its not really talc, but some mind altering drug, to make us believe that the music that is being played is actually quality soul music, when really it isn't... thumbsup.gif

link

==========

Not been on here long enough to know whether this a jokey type post or not. If it isn't, have you got venues in mind that are not playing quality soul? Don't want to open a can of worms, cos I don't do fishing, but I do find the post curious.

Social source share

Ban It ! Fucks up me Loafers & Mohair trews. Bleedin stuff! Grrrrrr! thumbsup.gifsmile.gif

link

=========

I'm a bit (if pleasantly) surprised at the amount of posts against talc. Are there no regular talc users on list....just to redress the balance? Not looking to have a "heated debate", just an informed one :shades:

Social source share

i like talc.

even the better floors out there need it sometimes expecialy after a couple of hours with people dancing .

maybe it depends on how you dance(or try to!) and yes even with leather soles i find it hard without the magic white powder.

i can see the point where someone puts it down,dances once then sods off,but

that suits me as i usually go dance on their patch once they've finished.

talcs gotta be better than coke/water winnie as thats a lethal concoction on any floor.

wayne

Social source share

i like talc.

even the better floors out there need it sometimes expecialy after a couple of hours with people dancing .

maybe it depends on how you dance(or try to!) and yes even with leather soles i find it hard without the magic white powder.

i can see the point where someone puts it down,dances once then sods off,but

that suits me as i usually go dance on their patch once they've finished.

talcs gotta be better than coke/water winnie as thats a lethal concoction on any floor.

wayne

===========

I use the coke, or water to actually slow the floor down. I used to use soap on my soles, but have found it's not as effective.

I do it so I can have a bit of purchase on the floor by the way thumbsup.gif

Social source share

it couldnt be otherwise half the punters would dance on all fours with rolled up fivers stuffed up their noses.

link

Social source share

[im'glad someone asked if there are any talc users.got to put my hands up here.i do use talc at most venues where its needed but i do only put it in my own little corner of the dance floor 'where it is easily accessable as and when i need to use it.however i must say more often than not ,no sooner have a put a small patch down a stampede of people seem to dive on it.by the time ive put my talc back in my bag and returned to my little patch the bloody stuffs vanished.is this because these people genuinly don't have any of there own or is it that they don't want to be the ones to get the dirty looks for putting it down but don,t mind useing some one elses.aquote=Winnie :-),Dec 12 2004, 04:06 AM]

Ban It ! Fucks up me Loafers & Mohair trews. Bleedin stuff! Grrrrrr!  thumbsup.gif   smile.gif

link

=========

I'm a bit (if pleasantly) surprised at the amount of posts against talc. Are there no regular talc users on list....just to redress the balance? Not looking to have a "heated debate", just an informed one  :shades:

link

Social source share

[im'glad someone asked if there are any talc users.got to put my hands up here.i do use talc at most venues where its needed but i do only put it in my own little corner of the dance floor 'where it is easily accessable as and when i need to use it.however i must say more often than not ,no sooner have a put a small patch down a stampede of people seem to dive on it.by the time ive put my talc back in my bag and returned to my little patch the bloody stuffs vanished.is this because these people genuinly don't have any of there own or is it that they don't want to be the ones to get the dirty looks for putting it down but don,t mind useing some one elses.aquote=Winnie :-),Dec 12 2004, 04:06 AM]

link

Maybe there's an invention waiting to happen, Shoe's that have cavities in the soles that talc can be put into, small hole's in the sole allow the talc to fall through, thus no need to pour it on the floor....... thumbsup.gifsmile.gif

I dare someone to invent them.

JM

Social source share

Hi mate

Rolled up fivers aint coooooool i'm told,you must be from up north...God bless...

link

down south sir

figured if i had said twenty,s or fifty,s those up north wouldnt of understood what i meant thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm a bit (if pleasantly) surprised at the amount of posts against talc. Are there no regular talc users on list....just to redress the balance? Not looking to have a "heated debate", just an informed one smile.gif

link

Social source share

quick question how do i quote someone and keep their quote in that box?

link

quick answer smile.gif

to quote one reply

hit the "reply" button not the "add reply"

then do not alter any of the text already in the window

type in stuff below it

and should be ok

[quote=Brett,Dec 12 2004, 03:01 PM]
quick question how do i quote someone and keep their quote in that box?
[right][snapback]43444[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

quick answer  ;)

to quote one reply
hit the "reply" button not the "add reply"

then do not alter any of the text already in the window
type in stuff below it
and should be ok[/code]

see box above this is how it should look

before posting - its the quote bits that are important

-everything between the two gets put in a box

if change them then chance of mess up