Articles: Mocha and Cream: Global Records.

5 hours ago, Dandm said:

Thanks for sharing Mark great story...

Spent many an hour rooting round the store just behind "Rotters" nightclub on Oxford rd.

I remember bringing a "Belgian" popcorn dealer there and he cleaned the place out.

Social source share

Great memories, Rick.  I used to like it when Ed had those open days and you could go along (on a Sunday morning ? ) to load up,  really I used to go mainly for the great buffet lunch Ed used to put on  (it was pretty much a new concept in UK at that time) - though I always made sure to spend enough to get invited back next time.

Edited by Dewsburyborn
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Great story, thanks for sharing it Mark. I spent a lot of time in that basement in my early teens. It and Robinson's were just full of great music. I remember a lad from school getting a Saturday job in Global. I was incandescent with jealousy; and he wasn't even a soulie.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 11/04/2020 at 23:15, Dewsburyborn said:

Great memories, Rick.  I used to like it when Ed had those open days and you could go along (on a Sunday morning ? ) to load up,  really I used to go mainly for the great buffet lunch Ed used to put on  (it was pretty much a new concept in UK at that time) - though I always made sure to spend enough to get invited back next time.

I don't remember the Sunday open days for dealers. If I was working there when Balbier had these he didn't ask me to come in, just as well as I wouldn't have been at my best on a Sunday. I suppose he would have had most of his children helping. The eldest sons , Gregg and Brian, would have been in their late teens and the older girls around ten to thirteen, so could have taken care of purchases and the buffet. Did Ed let you go everywhere in the warehouse? usually access was strictly limited, also what was the name of your shop?

He had another special promotion/competition for dealers whilst I was there. Over a few months the dealers who had the biggest increase in their purchases would win an all expenses paid trip to the Munich Beer Festival. I think it was probably the top five, plus a partner or guest, who went. As well as the winners all of the staff went and all of Ed's eight children, so quite a party. I have vague recollections of the trip but as you can imagine this is a bit hazy. Somewhere I have a photo of everyone outside the hotel but I've not been able to find it.

As Mark has said Ed Balbier was a very hard working man who made , unknown to him, a contribution to the early days of northern soul. Mainly due to his decision to come to the UK in 1971 and especially locating in central Manchester and not London . Perhaps he had done some research before coming over.

Rick

Social source share

Hi Rick - I was probably at that time operating either under my own name - Garry Cape - or Black Grape - from Wakefield.  As you suggest, I seem to remember the Sunday openings were staffed by Ed's kids.  We didn't get the entire run of the place. Usually a pre-order from on of his lists and then a certain part of the floorspace was opened up for browsing.  It may be the fact that John Anderson had a close tie with Bernie Binnick, also in Phila,  may have influenced Ed's decision to come to UK

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Great article and insight into a store which I will always remember with great fondness. I can still remember, as a schoolboy, ringing the bell and waiting to be let in, felt like we were intruding into some kind of secret society. Always loved visiting Global, I just wish I'd had more knowledge of what I was looking for. Probably missed so many buying opportunities.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!