Manchester Ritz

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Louise the "chest"waist high really dance floor had long gone when these pictures where taken . You and wittering never 😱🤣

Where did it go? In a skip do you think? Did the Americans buy it maybe?  I mean someone turned toilets of cultural importance into a pub, the dance floor must be somewhere? Do you think it might be in Colin Curtis's garden? Like a horticultural feature? A lovely wisteria hanging from the chrome railings?  And ivy rampaging all over the steps? Anyway, I'm really glad I started this thread.  It's given me a bit of....what's the term...."closure".  So thanks to everyone who's contributed. It's been fascinating.....erm..... except the gun bit 😲👍🏼🤗

Social source share

18 hours ago, Veedub said:

I stopped goin 2002 ! All our friends had drifted away, just didnt feel the same . Struggled to get good gear  anywhere lol ,  

Anyway.. listening to Bury allnighter the last few weeks... and tonight , I want to start going again when things get back to normal ! 😀

Me too !! See you at Bury then..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

When this Coronarona is all over, I intend to have a scary corner at a soul do. It's now on my bucket list.  Number 52: Develop and manage a scary corner. 👍🏼

Your far to lovely to have / develop a scary corner. X 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

18 hours ago, Veedub said:

I stopped goin 2002 ! All our friends had drifted away, just didnt feel the same . Struggled to get good gear  anywhere lol ,  

Anyway.. listening to Bury allnighter the last few weeks... and tonight , I want to start going again when things get back to normal ! 😀

Mike. Start going again when things get back to normal.  What's normal 🤔🤣

Will put you and Sarah on the not so straight and definitely not narrow when lockdown has ended 😱

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Your far to lovely to have / develop a scary corner. X 

You haven't seen me armed with a water pistol pulling a mean face 🧐..,

Social source share

25 minutes ago, 1soulmojo said:

Remember Gloria Jones playing live, Superstar Mark Bolan was playing drums. I remember him, just before the concert, sat at the drums on stage playing along to northern tunes played by the DJ. He seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere.

there's some photos from that event in our gallery 
hang on...

here are

Social source share

I remember at some point the two decks sitting on top of a brick built pier or pillar ?
Some said they went straight thru the floor down into the depths of the earth to sit on bed rock.
So that bouncy floor could not affect the vinyl being spun.

Also the sound system was extremely loud but very clear and undistorted.
Would make your ears bleed almost (and ring for a long time on leaving).
Especially when Richard came on and wound it up.

Seeing The Originals (with Freddie Gorman|) there live in 2002 was a personal highlight.  Richard's 50th.

Happy days,     Tom.  Banbury.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike. Start going again when things get back to normal.  What's normal 🤔🤣

Will put you and Sarah on the not so straight and definitely not narrow when lockdown has ended 😱

Definately Steve , cant wait ! 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi ya 

Your picture is of the original  sprung dance floor  the later floor was raised and still springy,  

I personally  didn't  like it ,liked the original better, the alldayers where rictic reviews  usually  on a sunday and well attended  saw a few artists there 

Remember  the Preston street dancers doing their thing to funk all bells and whistles  , my brain says back flip Russian roll spin etc my old body says  b@#$^%x you silly fool 

Social source share

4 hours ago, jakeblues said:

Hi ya 

Your picture is of the original  sprung dance floor  the later floor was raised and still springy,  

I personally  didn't  like it ,liked the original better, the alldayers where rictic reviews  usually  on a sunday and well attended  saw a few artists there 

Remember  the Preston street dancers doing their thing to funk all bells and whistles  , my brain says back flip Russian roll spin etc my old body says  b@#$^%x you silly fool 

That's interesting actually. I mean that dance floor was infamous, but was it a hit with dancers or difficult to be on? 🤔. It would be like trying to dance on a sort of trampoline? 

Social source share

thinking...

wasn't there a itv drama which had a bit northern based filmed there in the 2000s?

yep just dug, it was titled 'clocking off' though not sure if the clip is worth searching for it

memory says 'nah' but may be wrong

anyone?

a fair few more photos show in gallery over the years

a seach for 'ritz' should take you to some more

sure there's more flyers and such

manchester ritz in the 70s - great days 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

thinking...

wasn't there a itv drama which had a bit northern based filmed there in the 2000s?

yep just dug, it was titled 'clocking off' though not sure if the clip is worth searching for it

memory says 'nah' but may be wrong

anyone?

a fair few more photos show in gallery over the years

a seach for 'ritz' should take you to some more

sure there's more flyers and such

manchester ritz in the 70s - great days 

ah yep here you go 

@Wiggyflat uploaded it in our video feature earlier this year

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/videos/view-1704-northern-soul-clips-2002-inc-clocking-off/

first 9 minutes is all various video clips

the 'clocking off' bit is about 9.30 minutes in and features 'the champion'

Edited by Mike
correct time
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chas said:

The 'temple of convenience' was one of Morrisey's favourite haunts apparently. He named it as the place he visits when back in Mancunia, hammered out for weeks after! 

It was. He also loved the film 'a taste of honey' which has in it a dance scene of Dora Bryan and her man-friend on the Ritz ballroom. Morrisey went on  to gig at the Ritz. When the Temple of Convenience was just 'the bogs', you would get over-spill after closing at Rafters which was where Colin DJ'ed for a while ( and which was the former Takis, which was owned by the same brothers/family as TW), so maybe as someone said, Colin did take the Ritz ballroom back to his garden.

P.S my recollection of the sound system (77/78) was that it was awful, but my mind has mushed since then...didn't go later,

Edited by Kenb
P.S
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 18/04/2020 at 19:16, Soulandy said:

Turned into a great thread this. First went to the Ritz in the late 70's early 80's, northern/funk dayers. The northern niters of the 90's, the warm ups at the Temple of Convenience, The Attic at the Thirsty Scholar pub. The Motown niter, rarest of the rare. Massive place with that sticky carpet that was still sticky at the early 2000 revival dayers. The que to get in then went all the way up whitworth street. Who could ever forget the bouncing floor and the underground Warren 😁 Good times 👍 A picture of our crowd on the balcony at one of the niters

996849_10151971085003998_2002830330_n.jp

I recognise that bird in blue dress andy 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Was probably the best venue to hold an alldayer I went from start to the disastrous last one ( badly attended cost niel a bomb ) mushrooms growing out of the carpet downstairs as it squelched under foot 3 bars 2 down 1 up,live acts eddie Holman, Edwin, Tavares, lynx,light of the world and Richard's 50th had to be up there with the best  decks upstairs and down when it changed to a walk on dance floor I think it lost a bit of magic ,no car park too as that went for redevelopment, but musically it was what you waited for plus it had its discoveries that weren't at wigan at the time,don garner sensitive mind,Chandler's bobby Coleman,....oh happy days 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2020 at 17:49, Wiganer1 said:

chic right in the centre

In the white vest ?? If so, looks more like Ted Couldstone to me ??

Toddy from Cambridge, with his back to us, in the foreground..dark top and jeans

And possibly Carol Drinkwater just front left of Toddy.. White top, dark skirt, suntan.. No bra !! lol

That guy bottom right is bugging the hell out of me though.. know the face, but that's about it..

And finally, lol.. the guy bottom left in the check shirt..Craig Butler ??

Edited by Ficklefingers
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Went to the Ritz all dayers in the 70s, couple of times straight from Wigan niters, also Rarest of the rare events in the nineities, vaguely remember goin to a warm up venue beforehand in Manc, may of been that temple of conveinace place as previously mentioned, if memory serves was it a long narrow kinda place about 12ft wide? all a bit surreal now,.. probably smashed..Great times

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
On 12/06/2020 at 09:56, Mike said:

anyone remember the date of Edwin Starr 70s live appearance there, think was on at wigan before or maybe not?

just looking back and trying to tie dates up with events as you do

I went to that all dayer with Edwin on live. He belted out "Contact" as it was his latest release so would have been 78' We got their early as we heard a rumour the first 50 or so got a free single and sure enough we were handed a yellow copy of Agent OO Soul still got it. The solid Northern dayers were fabulous I recall "Paris Blues" being huge back then. The last time I was there was early noughties probably 2006/7 for those outstanding Rarest Of the Rare nighters.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 15/06/2020 at 20:48, Ficklefingers said:

In the white vest ?? If so, looks more like Ted Couldstone to me ??

Toddy from Cambridge, with his back to us, in the foreground..dark top and jeans

And possibly Carol Drinkwater just front left of Toddy.. White top, dark skirt, suntan.. No bra !! lol

That guy bottom right is bugging the hell out of me though.. know the face, but that's about it..

And finally, lol.. the guy bottom left in the check shirt..Craig Butler ??

Looks like Chic to me.

The guy bottom right looks like John Stone (from Gloucester now Wolves)

I would have been in front of the DJ box, the floor didn't bounce as much there.

Not sure that is Toddy, I think it is John from Bolton who sold me my Cecil Washington and Carol Anderson.

Edited by Martyn Pitt
Social source share

On 26/08/2020 at 17:30, Woodbutcher said:

Did the 'rarest of the rare' nights continue that long ... ? 

The first one was 1994 as I recall.

Could have been earlier I guess may be 04? The elavated dance floor had long gone by then. I recall being suprised walking in and it was all flat. 

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2020 at 09:56, Mike said:

anyone remember the date of Edwin Starr 70s live appearance there, think was on at wigan before or maybe not?

just looking back and trying to tie dates up with events as you do

On 26/08/2020 at 15:01, washlively said:

I went to that all dayer with Edwin on live. He belted out "Contact" as it was his latest release so would have been 78' We got their early as we heard a rumour the first 50 or so got a free single and sure enough we were handed a yellow copy of Agent OO Soul still got it. The solid Northern dayers were fabulous I recall "Paris Blues" being huge back then. The last time I was there was early noughties probably 2006/7 for those outstanding Rarest Of the Rare nighters.

thanks, I just stumbled upon this which puts a date and year Sunday Nov 12th 1978 to my original ask

EDWIN STARR   at the ritz..jpg

I thought it must have been summer, but guess every memory suffers from that, anyway was a weekend and a half, fair to say it was an eventful one for all the wrong reasons, long gone memory cells brought back to live yet again thanks to Soul Source!

here's the topic that I stumbled upon the above, a lot more pics and flyers from that era on it

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 29/10/2020 at 21:55, Mike said:

thanks, I just stumbled upon this which puts a date and year Sunday Nov 12th 1978 to my original ask

EDWIN STARR   at the ritz..jpg

I thought it must have been summer, but guess every memory suffers from that, anyway was a weekend and a half, fair to say it was an eventful one for all the wrong reasons, long gone memory cells brought back to live yet again thanks to Soul Source!

here's the topic that I stumbled upon the above, a lot more pics and flyers from that era on it

Nice flyer of the Ritz event! My 45 wasn't signed by Edwin sadly but I still have it. Yes memory plays tricks I thought it was a sunny Sunday in summer/autumn not Nov don't remember Russ on the day either.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Steviehay said:

You were lucky to get the single we didn't!!

Ive still got the Superlatives orig "I still Love You" that I bought from the record bar that day, the sleeve says Neil Ruston Records. No idea if it was him I bought it off didnt know what he looked like. I only really knew the Wigan jocks and a couple the Manchester guys like Siz back then.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been re visiting this thread.  No one has mentioned the August Bank Holiday nighter when we used to queue up as the strange and wonderful attendees of the Manchester pride weekend would go walking passed with some of the most amazing costumes and make up that has been seen.  Occasionally one or two of them would join us at the ritz , really was surreal to see a 6ft guy dancing with perfect make up that would put super models to shame.  Mad times 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!