Len

WHAT DO / DID YOU DO?

WHAT DO / DID YOU DO?

Hi Folkz,

As we all have a lot of time on our hands, I’d like to know what you do for a living, or if retired what you did do for a living (I thought I’d get ahead of having loads of answers ‘Retired’) :D

It would be particularly interesting to hear from any NHS workers, carers, along with delivery / bus drivers, shop keepers.  Basically anyone who are putting themselves ‘out there’ in ref to the current virus situation.

Photos are also a welcome addition, especially to put a name to a face.

To start the ball rolling…….I am a Sheet Metal Worker - I did an apprenticeship because my mum hammered in to me that I should get a skill.  My dad had many jobs, a milkman and a dustman to name just two; Dad never earned that much money, but he worked his socks off for us.  Metal work just happened to be the first apprenticeship that I saw at the job center, luckily it turned out that I was interested in it, so became pretty good at it.  All these years later I now run a small Sheet Metal Work company (LD Fabrications Ltd)

As manufacturing has recently been mentioned on other threads, I’ve put a couple of photos below of the manufacture of a cone that I made just yesterday (How exciting) :D Along with a few others.

Len :thumbsup:

'Rolling a cone'

331924979_CONE1.thumb.JPG.14b0000e1ed1b359882c5ac237f53e41.JPG

'Complete Cone'

1027359365_CONE2.thumb.JPG.2f7e2d21759d772a23acf1ffdfe778e8.JPG

'My very own apprentice folding sheet metal'

FOLDING.thumb.JPG.236092ab9198fa888522a5e07921d1f1.JPG

'A Guard'

GUARD.thumb.JPG.7205acd362a9fd7236904ab11c32726a.JPG

'Welding'

WELD.thumb.JPG.72bbb73c0c38b05c6875afb44fe46b4a.JPG

'My dear old Dad on the bins'

DAD.thumb.JPG.754347cf7cf19010e22214149bf51d5a.JPG

• Up vote 16

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Len. I breathe for a living 😎

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Len. i,m a time served mechanical fitter with my own skill sets, yeah i can do a bit of fabrication , making guards etc using folding machines, fly presses type things , guillotines and my good old trusty 2lb  hammer. but what you Tin Bashers do is well appreciated in my trade mate even though like electricians your all only fitters with your brains kicked in

Me about 70 ft above the ground on top of a anaerobic digestion tank when I worked in the recycling industry,  Rats, dirty nappies,  dirty needles , discarded sex toys, unkown liquids and maggots dropping on you, smells that you cannot describe where just some of the daily hazards,  not nice.  Glad to be out of that particular industry 

soul 20191107_093338

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 11

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I'm a Joiner,, started my apprenticeship as a 15 year old ( first 6 months probationary period ) in 1972 at Kettering General Hospital with John Laing Construction after a long career in the trade I still get the tools out for certain jobs that please me from hand cut roofs to a bit of bench work,, regards Stephen 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Magazine editor and occasional writer – freelance since moving to the Netherlands some years back. Prior to then I was a magazine editor at a publishing house in London. For 10 years, up until a bit more than a year ago, I was freelance managing editor of the alumni and corporate relations magazine of one of Europe's top business schools, and still serve as editor of its management science magazine.

I've just finished editing a small book written by a group of professors on doing sustainable business in Africa, and am currently working on a booklet about the history of the aforementioned business school as it heads towards its 50th anniversary celebrations a bit later in the year.

This is me (left) interviewing Stefano Rosso, CEO of the OTB Group (Only The Brave), which owns brands including Diesel, Maison Margiela, Marni, Viktor & Rolf, and Amiri.

RussellGilbert-StefanoRosso-OTB.jpg.1e11256b0b8cdcd4dfc99c7c49fd91d0.jpg

This one's of me (centre) chairing a debate on ethics in business with a group of professors.

RussellGilbert-editor-RSM-Debate.png.7ecba61968044cebf71106b4c20581f6.png

And here's me (right) posing with former world surfing champion Shaun Tomson after I'd done an interview with him.

RussellGilbert-ShaunTomson-RSM.jpg.3a9a4ddf6e6c64d7376ce2ca9c447043.jpg

That might all sound grand, but it's part-time work nowadays that just pays the bills and allows for an occasional holiday and a few record purchases. Can't ask for more than that really!

• Up vote 15

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice thread Len , 

Ive done many different jobs over the years, as I never really followed at set career path or trade .

I ended up , after travelling the world for many years, in London working for an extremely wealthy Indian diamond dealer,  as his Estate Manager .. Then after 20 years he got caught for tax evasion in Mumbai so had to sell up . I ended up as a Premises Manager of a large North London Primary school and Ive been there 16 years. 

Keeping the kids safe and in-line . someone needs to nowadays .

Will hopefully retire this year .

soul 08AAD9A6 4434 43E5 B84E A8762D54E56A

• Up vote 11

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice stuff Len. My stepfather was a sheet metal worker for a carpet manufacturer in Kidderminster. Besides his required work, he used to make some nice stuff (doing a foreigner) in his lunch breaks - Speaker stands for my Hifi system, scrolled decorative gates for the house, all sorts of stuff.

Me, I work in NDT (Non Destructive Testing). Radiographic inspection of gas turbine components to be more precise.

I can just about see retirement on the horizon, so all being well, that's where I'll be in about 5 years time 👍

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I worked in secure mental health settings for years hence my back is well and truly buggered. Just over 2 years ago him indoors had the bright idea to buy a cafe/bar at the seaside with a fabulous view from the outside terrace hence it's called The Terrace cafe bar look us up on trip advisor ( shameless plug). So I am now a licencee not that it's doing me much good at the moment being closed up...landlord still wants his rent we can't make any money and I am not sure if we will open up again after this as this money to help us through does not seem to be forthcoming from the government as of yet. NO pics of me at work but take a butchers at the view from work.

soul sunset

• Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

All of the above comes across as if we're real grown-ups (Except for Steve 'Winsford Soul' of course) :wink:

Thanks for input so far guys.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 minute ago, Len said:

All of the above comes across as if we're real grown-ups (Except for Steve 'Winsford Soul' of course) :wink:

Thanks for input so far guys.

Thank You kind sir. 🤔😘

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I have worked in vehicle body repairs almost all my working life, six months short of 40 yrs at my current employer TNT which is now officially FED X after their takeover which has been a gradual process over the last couple of years. Within a couple of years or sooner the familiar TNT will disappear once the older vehicles reach the end of their working life . I served my apprenticeship in a small car garage after working 9months in the catering industry which was all I ever wanted to do from being about 6yrs old, it is one of my biggest regrets that my parents God bless em let me just quit because of the hours and low pay, maybe if they had told me to stick it out for a few months and then let me leave my whole life might have been completely different.

As it was I ended up going on the prompting of Mum's Avon lady for a job as a mechanic at the garage where she worked, a job that was never ever in my mind, at the interview which took less than five mins I was told it was for an apprentice panel beater, when it came to wages being as naïve then as I am now when asked how much I was earning at my previous job I said £5 so that's what they paid me.

I loved it for the first few years but working for a family firm and expected to work weekends because they did I couldn't wait to finish my apprenticeship and get out which I did leaving not long after I got married ,I then had a year working for Tetrosyl  now more commonly known as Carplan making the very bodyfiller I used to use. Made redundant from there several months on the dole my brother got me a temporary job for four months at TNT helping the painter,no spraying back then we used to brush paint the trucks which for a novice like me proved a real challenge, the sides of the boxes at that time were ribbed aluminium, I had more runs than Geoff Boycott .

At the time of my interview I was a season ticket holder at Bury Fc ,when told I would have to work two nights a week until 7 I told Tommy my future boss I couldn't work Tuesday nights as Bury played their night matches on that day,  he told me well if football is that important to you …..I thought that's it job opportunity gone, you must be an ok bloke you've got the job, turns out he was an avid Bolton fan grrrr which I forgave him for,  40 yrs later I'm still there last body man standing.

Photos, one from a couple of years ago showing my doctored work shirt with the old square tnt logo opposite the newer circular one on the day of TNT's 70th birthday, the second from way back when we used to do more major accident work than we do now.

soul _MG_0021

soul 20160422091448_00001

Edited by Twoshoes
  • Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I worked in a cardboard box makers for over 35 years till it folded 🙂 then as a gardener.

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I was a painter and decorator for many years but had to pack it in as I was an emulsional wreck.

soul IMG_1527_1

• Up vote 10

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 minutes ago, Veedub said:

I was a painter and decorator for many years but had to pack it in as I was an emulsional wreck.

soul IMG_1527_1

Think we will gloss over that remark

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
14 minutes ago, Veedub said:

soul IMG_1527_1

You're either the cleanest painter and decorator I have ever seen, or those overalls were Blue before you painted that ceiling White! 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I'll brush off those remarks.. It must be a pigment of your imagination

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Newspaper printer, first at Withy Grove Mcr, (now the printworks) at the Mirror when Maxwell bought it. Still hanging in there, a closed shop when i started, seen quite a few changes since the letterpress days, no wonder me hair's gone! 

soul IMG_20181022_182608

• Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I've done a lot of different things over my almost 60 years as an adult.  After earning 3 university Masters degrees, I was an environmental assessor/planner and economist consultant on UN development projects in Africa, The Middle East and Far East, bookkeeper in a real estate firm, giftwrap vendor with a regular stall in a regular "swap meet/flea Market", Back Country Ski instructor and Winter Survival instructor, elementary school emergency substitute teacher, elementary after-school programme art teacher, comic book storywriter/storyboard and story cover sketch artist, Soul record label owner and in-house bookkeeper, and International marketing agent, but never really earned a living. 

Now I'm a semi-retired, half-time comic book storywriter/artist, and storyboarding workshop/seminar consultant/instructor (at least I was before Covid-19)! 🤪  But now, I may never again leave the house where I am currently, and never get on an airplane again, and never visit my 3 other homes again, and never again see most of my friends and family in Canada, The Netherlands, and Denmark, and never again see my friends in Germany and The UK.   😧

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 10

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sounds like a varied and interesting career there Robb.

(The virus will be gone before we know it) :wink:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

1. Spring works 

2. Made carbon fibre fishing rods

3. Tesco for 22 years ending up as assistant head cashier

4. Currently Level 3 Teaching Assistant for past 19 years 

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Robbk, what a amazing career  !  the clouds will lift and the sun will shine again soon  😀

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Wayoutgirl said:

1. Spring works 

2. Made carbon fibre fishing rods

3. Tesco for 22 years ending up as assistant head cashier

4. Currently Level 3 Teaching Assistant for past 19 years 

Bet you worked at tri-cast 😁. X

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Veedub said:

Robbk, what a amazing career  !  the clouds will lift and the sun will shine again soon  😀

I wouldn't call that hodge podge a "career".  I would say. "What an unusual search effort for trying to find a reliable way to earn a living!"  I grew up reading "Donald Duck" and "Uncle Scrooge" comic books.  It's too bad that I emulated Donald's style of career track, rather than Scrooge's!  🙃

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Bet you worked at tri-cast 😁

Before they became tri cast. I worked at Fothergill and Harvey  at The Gale site on Tod road.

Nearly lost my hand there. Crushed in a machine that had no guard on at the age of 17. 

Edited by Wayoutgirl
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Partner in a firm of Chartered Accountants.

Only job since I left school and all things being equal I will have done 50 years on 2 September 2022.

A case of either blind loyalty or a total lack of ambition. I can however count of the fingers of one hand, the number of days I haven’t enjoyed my job.

• Up vote 8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
53 minutes ago, Jaco said:

Partner in a firm of Chartered Accountants.

Only job since I left school and all things being equal I will have done 50 years on 2 September 2022.

A case of either blind loyalty or a total lack of ambition. I can however count of the fingers of one hand, the number of days I haven’t enjoyed my job.

I can't help but think of Monty Python's take on chartered accountancy.  But, if you enjoyed every day of it, more power to you.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

shoe repairs/keys/sell bags /note cases etc     started as sat lad at 14  two days of from sickness since then    but shut now for the moment fed up (own shop for 33 years)    if this is what its like when you finish for good    stuff it 

Edited by Algsoul
  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Yes, for some folk this sure is a taster of what it would be like to retire - Some pensioners are busy as heck, and I often hear them say that they don't know how they ever found the time to work.  Others though, 'bored bored bored', and end up going back to work!

Best of luck with your shoe repair shop re-opening and 'bouncing back'.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
7 hours ago, Algsoul said:

shoe repairs/keys/sell bags /note cases etc     started as sat lad at 14  two days of from sickness since then    but shut now for the moment fed up (own shop for 33 years)    if this is what its like when you finish for good    stuff it 

Take your Last,, hammer and nails to all the SOLE dos when we reopen REHEAL dance shoes half price you will soon be on your FEET ,,, Stephen 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
7 hours ago, Algsoul said:

shoe repairs/keys/sell bags /note cases etc     started as sat lad at 14  two days of from sickness since then   if this is what its like when you finish for good    stuff it 

Lawrence mate , 

Chin up - tongue out - you will lace it . 

My old Dad ( god rest his sole ) always said “ you can tell a man by the backs of his shoes “.Never knew what he meant until later in life . 

Cant think what it must be like for small  traders like yourself , but hang in there mate and claim every last penny you can from this Government , you more than most have earned it .

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 hours ago, Jaco said:

I will have done 50 years on 2 September 2022.

I thought I'd done well doing 40, 50, that's some achievement in this day and age,as for lack of ambition you seem to have done ok and to enjoy your job to that extent is worth it's weight in gold, the grass isn't always greener, it's a pessimistic view that confirms my own lack of ambition that I often say "climbing the ladder is great going up but you only feel the splinters on the way down". That said I've been happy being at the bottom of the ladder, I see and hear too many people talking about and suffering from the pressure of jobs with greater responsibility. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
35 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

“ you can tell a man by the backs of his shoes “

I love seeing quotes from parents, on the same subject my Dad used to say "you can tell a man by the bottom of his shoes, if he polishes the part between the heel and the sole that doesn't touch the pavement he's a man to be trusted", never been sure that's true, now he'd just be labelled OCD. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Highways worker, tarmac concrete, laying kerbs etc, hard work but love it, outside of work loves are family,  ns and football. 

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
42 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

I thought I'd done well doing 40, 50, that's some achievement in this day and age,as for lack of ambition you seem to have done ok and to enjoy your job to that extent is worth it's weight in gold, the grass isn't always greener, it's a pessimistic view that confirms my own lack of ambition that I often say "climbing the ladder is great going up but you only feel the splinters on the way down". That said I've been happy being at the bottom of the ladder, I see and hear too many people talking about and suffering from the pressure of jobs with greater responsibility. 

I think I fell lucky. I couldn't learn enough once I started working as a trainee accountant. For whatever reason it just seemed to suit my ability to deal with numbers etc. The downside is I am completely rubbish with manual tasks, changing a plug is a real challenge!

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I have been scaffolding for almost 40 years, I have done everything from the front of a house to major engineering projects.

Here is one from the archives, Stanlow oil refinery many moons ago.1651898881_Scaffold1.jpg.f4287d286fd7dd018d455d6f639e5a9b.jpg

This is my most recent workwise, the lads bought me a cake for my birthday on 28th January :thumbup:

V__984D.thumb.jpg.6ad34d767e4204033245f73e05ca0fe3.jpg

Edited by Widnes63
  • Up vote 11

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cool !!  mmm, jelly tots cake too !👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Widnes63 said:

I have been scaffolding for almost 40 years, I have done everything from the front of a house to major engineering projects.

Here is one from the archives, Stanlow oil refinery many moons ago.1651898881_Scaffold1.jpg.f4287d286fd7dd018d455d6f639e5a9b.jpg

This is my most recent workwise, the lads bought me a cake for my birthday on 27th January :thumbup:

8 down ,, CENTRA ,, Northern Irish retail group,, happy belated birthday,, Stephen 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Widnes63 said:

This is my most recent workwise, the lads bought me a cake for my birthday on 28th January :thumbup:

Looking good mate.  Good job we're not afraid of heights Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

After a few changes, mergers and a takeover, by the mid 80s I found myself working for Our Price Records. This was the era of the yuppie, Go For It, greed is good and other jargon. This was not my way but I had a succession of regional managers who thought they had to make everyone's life  a misery before they continued their journey to burn out at 30. 

In 1989 I quit Our Price and started on my own doing antique furniture restoration from my parents garage. Dad used to make stuff for the house so he had a bandsaw, table saw and planer plus hand tools. After six months I moved to a unit in an old mill for three years then to a place on a small farm near Macclesfield. 

013.thumb.JPG.368cadaab6b38921e4becb0539823e84.JPG

The building used to be a slaughter house , hence the fridge room white door.

019.thumb.JPG.d8050d121dafc691e2b5de4a940fb532.JPG

This is inside the workshop with a couple of chairs that look old but about 50 % of each is new as woodworm had munched their way through the seat and backs. The building was a bit rough and freezing in winter.

With retirement coming up, three years ago I built a shed in the back garden so I could do a few paying jobs and make stuff for myself.

DSCF7142.thumb.JPG.aef5e8e641026137898f28c3b647f970.JPG

This is the garden shed, very cramped but I've got most things I need, especially the CD player. Recently finished this chest of drawers using wood I've had for 25 years.

DSCF7674.thumb.JPG.8fa191171034195a38bcecd246da2fbb.JPG

For people in my age group (65+) we seem to have had it fairly easy with steady jobs, protected benefits and retirement at 60 and 65. I feel sorry (and angry) for young people with tuition fee debts, unaffordable housing, unpaid internships, part time and zero-hours contracts. I have a few nephews and nieces who, although under thirty have been made redundant or changed jobs three or four times.

Edited by Rick Cooper
  • Up vote 17

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Are there any welders on here? Like people who did an apprenticeship of several years?

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
13 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

After a few changes, mergers and a takeover, by the mid 80s I found myself working for Our Price Records. This was the era of the yuppie, Go For It, greed is good and other jargon. This was not my way but I had a succession of regional managers who thought they had to make everyone's life  a misery before they continued their journey to burn out at 30. 

In 1989 I quit Our Price and started on my own doing antique furniture restoration from my parents garage. Dad used to make stuff for the house so he had a bandsaw, table saw and planer plus hand tools. After six months I moved to a unit in an old mill for three years then to a place on a small farm near Macclesfield. 

013.thumb.JPG.368cadaab6b38921e4becb0539823e84.JPG

The building used to be a slaughter house , hence the fridge room white door.

019.thumb.JPG.d8050d121dafc691e2b5de4a940fb532.JPG

This is inside the workshop with a couple of chairs that look old but about 50 % of each is new as woodworm had munched their way through the seat and backs. The building was a bit rough and freezing in winter.

With retirement coming up, three years ago I built a shed in the back garden so I could do a few paying jobs and make stuff for myself.

DSCF7142.thumb.JPG.aef5e8e641026137898f28c3b647f970.JPG

This is the garden shed, very cramped but I've got most things I need, especially the CD player. Recently finished this chest of drawers using wood I've had for 25 years.

DSCF7674.thumb.JPG.8fa191171034195a38bcecd246da2fbb.JPG

For people in my age group (65+) we seem to have had it fairly easy with steady jobs, protected benefits and retirement at 60 and 65. I feel sorry (and angry) for young people with tuition fee debts, unaffordable housing, unpaid internships, part time and zero-hours contracts. I have a few nephews and nieces who, although under thirty have been made redundant or changed jobs three or four times.

My father used to work with wood like you. I remember many decades ago, in his workshop, asking  to have some nails to hammer something together: he replied, the only nails in here are on your fingers & toes,  I'm a cabinet maker (joiner), not a woodbutcher (carpenter ?)

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
49 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Are there any welders on here? Like people who did an apprenticeship of several years?

Hi Simon,

Yes me (See my opening post) I did a 4 year Sheet Metal apprenticeship, plus 3 year's night school welding which included, Mig, Arc and Tig welding Mild Steel, Ali and Stainless Steel.

It saddens me to see that they have condensed the apprenticeships down to 2 or 3 years nowadays.  You only get good at this type of job after 10 years at it, so you start to really learn after your 4 year apprenticeship, and that depends on what experience you gain - You never stop learning of  course.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 minutes ago, Len said:

Hi Simon,

Yes me (See my opening post) I did a 4 year Sheet Metal apprenticeship, plus 3 year's night school welding which included, Mig, Arc and Tig welding Mild Steel, Ali and Stainless Steel.

It saddens me to see that they have condensed the apprenticeships down to 2 or 3 years nowadays.  You only get good at this type of job after 10 years at it, so you start to really learn after your 4 year apprenticeship, and that depends on what experience you gain - You never stop learning of  course.

Mig, Arc and Tig, i remember  them, bunch of naughty borstal boys!

the reason i asked was because i used to work with a lass  who's partner was a a 'consultant ' , made a shed load of money, and i mean a  beau-coup de argent, working for the French, and others, on their Nuclear  power stations.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Yes I believe there is good money to be made at the Nuclear power stations. Also on the oil rigs - Don't fancy that myself.

I have thought about teaching, and that maybe a back-up plan if my business doesn't survive what looks like to be a deep recession ahead (I do have a fighting chance of surviving though)

Out of interest - 'What do / did you' do for a living Simon?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Len said:

Hi Simon,

Len. Two things my friend.  Either we are stupid having to take four years to learn our trade as apprentices or this generation are so much more clever and can complete it in half the time. Nah I don't think so either.  Which brings me to the 2nd point . I noticed that you have a apprentice. Hats off sir . In recent years I've worked at various large companies and not a single one had any, Are your competitors employing any or are you standing alone in this ? 

Stay safe. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Len. Two things my friend.  Either we are stupid having to take four years to learn our trade as apprentices or this generation are so much more clever and can complete it in half the time. Nah I don't think so either.  Which brings me to the 2nd point . I noticed that you have a apprentice. Hats off sir . In recent years I've worked at various large companies and not a single one had any, Are your competitors employing any or are you standing alone in this ? 

Stay safe. 

Don't start me on the apprentice subject! Too late.........Some of my competitors have apprentices, but I do know some gave up on doing so years ago.  

Some as you say, just don't bother, but to be fair to the others, they don't bother because of the extra work involved because of the apprentices going through 'kwango' companies - These companies oversee them going through the college day release, but they create so much more paper work, and visit the companies where the apprentices are, which takes up their employers time. No need for them as far as I'm concerned - All the apprentice needs to do is to go to day release college once a week, and learn the rest in the work place.  Trouble is, if you want government funding for the college course, you have to go through one of these companies.  These companies earn lots of tax payers money just for this 'over seeing'.

Another reason I know some companies have stopped taking on apprentices is because young people of today are simply made of different stuff to us. They are constantly on their mobile phones, and hardly have any 'drive' to get on. I too have experienced that, even catching one apprentice drilling a hole on a radial drill with one hand and using his phone with the other hand.  This is after he had been told not to use his phone in the workshop. Another apprentice simply did no homework for 6 months, so (after sticking with him I hasten to add) I had to get rid - He didn't seem 'boverd'

The trouble is, we only attract the not so intelligent lads to this trade because the Schools keep hammering to death that 'Uni' is everyone's ticket. Grrrrrr!

I've had many apprentices over the years, some successful, some not - One lad was with me from 16 years old to 26 years old. He left on good terms (to go and work with is brother) but I was absolutely gutted to lose him as he had learnt the trade my way.  Finding good skilled people is impossible - Good blokes are being looked after by their employers for that reason.

To confirm - I remember us all standing outside the workshop, and one apprentice said......"Len, do you realize all the lads on our estate can weld because of you".......The moment one apprentice left (or had to go) I had a constant stream of young lads from the local estate wondering if there was any jobs going (Just after they had spoken to the apprentice who had gone)

It breaks my heart to hear of young people being stuck in call centers or picking and packing in warehouses - No wonder they get wasted at the weekends. I feel we have let them down.....

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Tom Sawby,George Fleming,Eddie Ketteyles,Birdy Singh,Sam Braznell,Jimmy Goodliff (GF) Polish Tom and Dutch Jan ,, these are the joiners who taught me when I was a cheeky 15 year old,,Never To Be Forgotten,, ps some people still think I'm cheeky,, Stephen 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 hours ago, Len said:

Yes I believe there is good money to be made at the Nuclear power stations. Also on the oil rigs - Don't fancy that myself.

I have thought about teaching, and that maybe a back-up plan if my business doesn't survive what looks like to be a deep recession ahead (I do have a fighting chance of surviving though)

Out of interest - 'What do / did you' do for a living Simon?

very little. very little with very little things. i'll PM you.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Monny1916 said:

Tom Sawby,George Fleming,Eddie Ketteyles,Birdy Singh,Sam Braznell,Jimmy Goodliff (GF) Polish Tom and Dutch Jan ,, these are the joiners who taught me when I was a cheeky 15 year old,,Never To Be Forgotten,, ps some people still think I'm cheeky,, Stephen 

Steve Abbott (City and Guilds Silver Medal holder of that year, silver medal being the top marks of the whole country) Incidenatly he sold his Silver medal to finance his go-cart racing :D Bernard (RIP) who I was scared of, Alan P, Brendon (Who set fire to the place by welding on top of a huge tin of Red Oxide paint), and my old foreman Rod (20 Hamlet Cigars every day) I still remember doing the 'Bun Run' for the lads - 1 x Pkt Salt 'n' vinega crisps, 1 x Ham roll, and 5 Hamlet (etc) Oh and not forgetting Joe! A 'larger than life' Italian man - A sh*t hot machinest, who used to abuse me (nearly litterally) yet got the best out of me.  Every time I use a 'Drift' I think of him, as he said to remember what one is called just think of a piece of wood floating on the water.

Charactor building that I have very fond memories of :wink:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
8 hours ago, Simon T said:

My father used to work with wood like you. I remember many decades ago, in his workshop, asking  to have some nails to hammer something together: he replied, the only nails in here are on your fingers & toes,  I'm a cabinet maker (joiner), not a woodbutcher (carpenter ?)

Not heard that one before but shows the sort of pride in the high standard of his work. Can't agree that carpenters are "woodbutchers" , take a look at a cathedral or church roof to see what they could do, mind you it helps when the client has loads of money.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.