Usb Super Gadget

Cheltsoulnights

Guest Andy BB

How does it differ from these?

https://www.ntlshop.ntlworld.com/webstore/C...atCode=SELF5501

I bought one of these used it once and can't be bothered with trailing wires from PC to Stereo as they're miles apart, and I couldn't be arsed with editing, God I'm lazy. So I'm getting a usb deck. Unless I'm told that that's a mistake by one of you technonerds?

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 93
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Love the input

But not clear what you are saying

cost?

better?

I dont think it does phono (for turntables) as well

or does playback

What the fukc,what is there to understand,i bought one of these and it ok,so cant afford one of yours at the mo`,all this and you aint got any anyway,i`m going with Andy BBs device,and i can record from me turntable if i want without any device,just rather do it through USB.

,and i said it as no playbakc to my mixer/amp........come on lad,pull your sokcs up.

Social source share

I bought one of these used it once and can't be bothered with trailing wires from PC to Stereo as they're miles apart, and I couldn't be arsed with editing, God I'm lazy. So I'm getting a usb deck. Unless I'm told that that's a mistake by one of you technonerds?

The big advantage of the USB decks is that you can just plug them in and go. Recording from any other sort of deck usually requires running the sound through an amplifier as well. Certainly easy to do if you stereo is close at hand, but when I tried doing it with my Numark portable deck and a Creative SB soundcard I couldn't get any sound quality at all. The annoying thing is that it's only when you have bought the gadget, opened it, plugged it all in, fiddled with it, that you find it says in the instructions that some decks will require a pre-amp.

I sent the damn thing back. If I have to buy a pre amp I may as well just buy the pre amp and run from the deck to the pre amp and then straight into the PC. So I'm saving pennies for a USB deck as well.

Social source share

Is it easy to use? Does it give a clear recording? What is the editing you have to do? Looks like the same sort of thing as the other USB thingy but a bit cheaper :thumbsup: Are you going to sell it when you get your deck?

Social source share

The big advantage of the USB decks is that you can just plug them in and go. Recording from any other sort of deck usually requires running the sound through an amplifier as well. Certainly easy to do if you stereo is close at hand, but when I tried doing it with my Numark portable deck and a Creative SB soundcard I couldn't get any sound quality at all. The annoying thing is that it's only when you have bought the gadget, opened it, plugged it all in, fiddled with it, that you find it says in the instructions that some decks will require a pre-amp.

I sent the damn thing back. If I have to buy a pre amp I may as well just buy the pre amp and run from the deck to the pre amp and then straight into the PC. So I'm saving pennies for a USB deck as well.

Is a pre amp one of those little black box things? I tried one of them and the sound quality was terrible, all hissy even though the record played fine.

Social source share

Is it easy to use? Does it give a clear recording? What is the editing you have to do? Looks like the same sort of thing as the other USB thingy but a bit cheaper :thumbsup: Are you going to sell it when you get your deck?

Beat ya`,sent email two mins ago.....might aswell just buy one,very cheap.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Shall I order one of them do you think or the other usb thingy? Anyone have any idea which would be better? Is there lots of buggering about with editing to do after recording?

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Its ok Donna,you can have me old one,only had it two weeks........£42.........you can have it,in the box with the disc ant everything,its ace for recordin`.best Ken

Social source share

Shall I order one of them do you think or the other usb thingy? Anyone have any idea which would be better? Is there lots of buggering about with editing to do after recording?

Personally I'd recommend buying an audio CD recorder, and a re-writeable disc. That's how I do it. Wait until I've got half a dozen tracks to convert, record them on the re-writeable disc, bang it in the PC, rip the tracks to MP3, then wipe the re-writeable disc ready for next time. Superb sound quality every time. Of course it takes longer, isn't as convenient as having a USB deck, and costs a damn sight more, but hey, call me old fashioned, it works for me !

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

its not two way

yeah, good point pete.....that's what's attracting me to your thingy pete

you're not going to letchworth tomorrow are ya?

Social source share

its not two way

what do you mean its not two way? Why would you want two way from comp to vinyl? is yours two way kenny? Do I want a two way thingy? :thumbsup:

Social source share

what do you mean its not two way? Why would you want two way from comp to vinyl? is yours two way kenny? Do I want a two way thingy? huh.gif

No,....................and have emailed the company who do AndyBB`s thingy,here they`re answer;Hello,

Yes, you can play audio back out of the Instant Music via RCA or Optical Audio out.

QUOTE(Stereotype @ Jan 18 2007, 09:50 PM) post_snapback.gifits not two way

So is two way,stereotype......... :thumbsup:

So you actualy get more for less money.

Edited by ken
Social source share

No,....................and have emailed the company who do AndyBB`s thingy,here they`re answer;Hello,

Yes, you can play audio back out of the Instant Music via RCA or Optical Audio out.

So is two way,stereotype......... :boxing:

Im still not understanding what a two way thingy is as opposed to a one way thingy.

Social source share

Im still not understanding what a two way thingy is as opposed to a one way thingy.

Means you can play bakc from PC to audio,so once you have files you can play em bakc through your amp/mixer etc,ie not just record from amp/mixer.........and you with two degree`s :fool: mine not good enough for you now!.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Means you can play bakc from PC to audio,so once you have files you can play em bakc through your amp/mixer etc,ie not just record from amp/mixer.........and you with two degree`s :fool: mine not good enough for you now!.

So, you mean you can then use your PC like a jukebox and play stuff through your amp rather than through the little computer speakers? So does that mean it has an extra hole to put another cable back from it into your amp or it just does it by using the cable you plug it into your amp with? Its getting all the leads in the right holes that confuses me :thumbsup: You have convinced me that the NTL one is not only cheaper than yours, but is also better :shades:

Social source share

Got it :thumbsup: but what is an spdf output and input???

It`s the bit extra you get,its optical out and in for more expencive aquipment and usualy on most cd recorders,so of no concern to you,forget em`. :shades: your winding me up,arent you. :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

It`s the bit extra you get,its optical out and in for more expencive aquipment and usualy on most cd recorders,so of no concern to you,forget em`. :shades: your winding me up,arent you. :lol:

:lol:

thank you :thumbsup:

Social source share

So is two way,stereotype......... :rolleyes:

Can you email them and ask can you connect a deck directly to it

as the spec says rca line in

decks dont output at line level

Social source share

So, you mean you can then use your PC like a jukebox and play stuff through your amp rather than through the little computer speakers? So does that mean it has an extra hole to put another cable back from it into your amp or it just does it by using the cable you plug it into your amp with? Its getting all the leads in the right holes that confuses me :rolleyes: You have convinced me that the NTL one is not only cheaper than yours, but is also better :shades:

and thats why i put it up for discussion to find out whats out there before buying too many

I'm not certain that you can plug a deck directly into the ntl thing

the spec suggests not

Social source share

and thats why i put it up for discussion to find out whats out there before buying too many

I'm not certain that you can plug a deck directly into the ntl thing

the spec suggests not............Me,i`ll try later.

But why would i want to,i can do that direct into me PC through mike sokcet and get good enough results,and i bet you i can because i have another dekc with built in pre-amp,surely it easier to be able to play from your amp/mixer your dekc is allready connected to after all what is the point of having audio out,if your gonna`connect the your device to a amp for play bakc,might as well have your dekc connected to the amp,just got extra long phono lead so me dekcs next to me computor,all that and it probberly will take my dekc direct anyway dont know i have no need,its great cause i can record then play bakc in propper loud bassy true hi-fi quality,and i dont have to fukc about,besides you can buy a little pre-amp for not much more than a tenner.thanks Ken

Social source share

The thread was to discuss the gadget not what individual needs are.

So far many thanks for the input from everyone its been quite constructive.

it seems that there are several similiar gadgets out there at present but this one does it all, although the last one mentioned nearly equalled it (apart from no direct deck input).

If anyone is off to Middleton will be taking the last two with me (rest sold)

I've even kept one for myself to do digital recordings with.

Social source share

The thread was to discuss the gadget not what individual needs are.

So far many thanks for the input from everyone its been quite constructive.

it seems that there are several similiar gadgets out there at present but this one does it all, although the last one mentioned nearly equalled it (apart from no direct deck input).

If anyone is off to Middleton will be taking the last two with me (rest sold)

I've even kept one for myself to do digital recordings with.

So is your one better than the NTL one? In what way?

Social source share

So is your one better than the NTL one? In what way?

Do you read these threads Donna,there is hardly any difference just if you aint got a amp this is what you want not the NTL what i have been using for two days,just plug it in and thats it,love it.........i would say a 9 out 10 for NTL.You can use your PC like juke box.

Edited by ken
Social source share

You can plug a deck into it direct and get a better quality recording

rest is the same

Basically if you get one you wont be looking for anything else later on as it does everthing

Sorry better recordin`how so?.

Social source share

Direct connections from the music source have less signal loss

well i never,signal loss i use gold plated leads and such now if you think a direct signal will make a difference you could notice you must be blind,plus can get a direct signal through microphone if i choose for free.

Social source share

well i never,signal loss i use gold plated leads and such now if you think a direct signal will make a difference you could notice you must be blind,plus can get a direct signal through microphone if i choose for free.

Gee this is getting a bit deep

Firstly to record directly from a mic into a sound card with a quality result you will need to buy a sound card costing £1200+ (ask anyone who has been on music technology course) most spend a lot more.

This clouds the issue, no one has said you cant use your method, it works but not with quality

The subject was a new device that enables people to connect a turntable or cd player ect directly into there computer with a quality result and minimum fuss

Social source share

Gee this is getting a bit deep

Firstly to record directly from a mic into a sound card with a quality result you will need to buy a sound card costing £1200+ (ask anyone who has been on music technology course) most spend a lot more.

This clouds the issue, no one has said you cant use your method, it works but not with quality

The subject was a new device that enables people to connect a turntable or cd player ect directly into there computer with a quality result and minimum fuss

I`m bored with this now,last words from me NTL get 9 out of ten i am using it now with enough quality and they will tell you anything at collage,if i wanted studio quality then i wouldnt be using this would i,and i`m sure whatever device wont get you it.

Social source share

I had one of these Andy recording is spot on but the technology is shyte, every time i finish recording i get an error message, and it converts it into some super un-readable format, luckily it will drag and drop accross to windows media player to burn but thats it, no player on the net will play the files, so you have to go back and rip everything off the cd so you end up with two files of the dam same record :angry:

You cant go wrong with a cheap mixer and Vinyl RIP set up should cost you no more than £20 (£5 for the software and you can pick up second hand mixers of the net for about £15)

Social source share

• 2 months later...

I usually use a pre-amped mixer, with a audio-minijack lead (into p.c. line in) and Audiograbber software (free download)...works a treat and mixer gives all options of adjusting bass, treble etc.

Tried it on mic input but sound quality was never as good, but now have a laptop with no line-in option so gotta use mic in...presuming quality will be affected?

Will have to try it out next week.......

Incidentally, I set up a USB deck for someone a few weeks ago, but after recording the files have to be converted afterwards (think Baz said this earlier?)

However, if you download Audiograbber, you can record them direct from USB deck into Audiograbber and are compatible for burning down to CD straight away in Nero etc.

Social source share

Tried it on mic input but sound quality was never as good, but now have a laptop with no line-in option so gotta use mic in...presuming quality will be affected?

Will have to try it out next week.......

It's a different impedance. I had the same problem with my lap top and I now prefer to use an external sound card but from memory here's what I used to do.

Go to Control Panel on your START menu

Click on Sounds and Audio devices

Click on AUDIO tab

There shoul be a Microphone under the heading "sound recording"

Click on the VOLUME button.

It should give you a mixer display. Tick the Line input which should turn your mic input to a line input.

if it is already checked at "Line In" try it out and listen to what it sounds like.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!