Madeline Wilson ‎– Dial "L" For Lonely

Gazoor

I quite like this record and its never been particularly easy to find a copy.. especially in decent nick.

Why hasn't it really gone up in value over the last 20yrs +, does no-one play it and/or has the record been 'lost' to new listeners?

image.png.f0f8efc3f635391f377e58e1c63b782a.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/04/2020 at 20:23, Gazoor said:

I quite like this record and its never been particularly easy to find a copy.. especially in decent nick.

Why hasn't it really gone up in value over the last 20yrs +, does no-one play it and/or has the record been 'lost' to new listeners?

It's an "old'n'dusty" sound thing that is plain good. So not necessary able to reach all the hipster's ears.

Not in the top 500 either nor "funky" enough. It's almost a 'connoisseur' or remaining a collector's record.

Social source share

On 28/04/2020 at 12:47, Tlscapital said:

It's an "old'n'dusty" sound thing that is plain good. So not necessary able to reach all the hipster's ears.

Not in the top 500 either nor "funky" enough. It's almost a 'connoisseur' or remaining a collector's record.

... the Top 500... great records and put the scene on a great footing... but are people really still travelling to only listen to these few records??  .. we've about 65yrs. of music to go at from all corners of the Globe.. 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Gazoor said:

... the Top 500... great records and put the scene on a great footing... but are people really still travelling to only listen to these few records??  .. we've about 65yrs. of music to go at from all corners of the Globe.. 

Evidently I was taking a stand for the 'dial 'L' for lonely' record ! There are indeed great records in the Top 500. Still not all are that to me in that one compiled Top 500 selection. Where also many records now regarded as 'pop' that were popular back then and participate making the scene big then but that were deliberately left out.

For those who see the Top 500 as a bible, this Madeline Wilson is evidently not much to consider. And for the new "kids" on the scene with plenty of cash to spend on in-demand records, the 'dial 'L' for lonely' hipster's potential is evidently lacking as definitely there's nothing 'funky' to it. Not good enough for them 2 sorts.

But this little dear of a record is plenty good enough for me :) And I don't mind the qualificative 'old'N'dusty' for it either. Because that is what that tune is to my ears. Like others, I love my records for what they are to me be it slick or not. Not going by what the consensus or the 'order of the day' that would tell me what to 'dig'. 

Now this is taking this tread to adrift... Are people still travelling to hear such or such records, well if it was happening at some times back then, it was not such a big phenomenon that lasted for decades. People still traveled but sportively from one venue to the next. Even dedicated DJ followers were only a handfull at most.

So to see herds traveling to hear only one record is more of a legend that grew from hearsay when some claimed out loud to do so and word got to the press. This is just part of the glorification process to build a myth around a "new religion". Take one's word for fact. Echo and enhance it and you'll have pilgrims following.

Not that I am dissing all the kids who attended the scene back then. Just setting the "record" straight. The scene vigor and enthusiasm toward soul music in Northern Soul was true for some, partly important for more and part of the uniform for mosts. This is true for most scenes, sub-culture teen phenomenon and other sects. 

And I believe it still is to this day on the different fragments of this scattered scene. People still travel some IME. Hopefully not only on holiday resort Week-Ender package formula thingies. Following their DJ's, gangs of friends and hosters not to fall into the 'unknown' (Woo scary !) or unexpected adventurous experience 😉

Social source share

9 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Evidently I was taking a stand for the 'dial 'L' for lonely' record ! There are indeed great records in the Top 500. Still not all are that to me in that one compiled Top 500 selection. Where also many records now regarded as 'pop' that were popular back then and participate making the scene big then but that were deliberately left out.

For those who see the Top 500 as a bible, this Madeline Wilson is evidently not much to consider. And for the new "kids" on the scene with plenty of cash to spend on in-demand records, the 'dial 'L' for lonely' hipster's potential is evidently lacking as definitely there's nothing 'funky' to it. Not good enough for them 2 sorts.

But this little dear of a record is plenty good enough for me :) And I don't mind the qualificative 'old'N'dusty' for it either. Because that is what that tune is to my ears. Like others, I love my records for what they are to me be it slick or not. Not going by what the consensus or the 'order of the day' that would tell me what to 'dig'. 

Now this is taking this tread to adrift... Are people still travelling to hear such or such records, well if it was happening at some times back then, it was not such a big phenomenon that lasted for decades. People still traveled but sportively from one venue to the next. Even dedicated DJ followers were only a handfull at most.

So to see herds traveling to hear only one record is more of a legend that grew from hearsay when some claimed out loud to do so and word got to the press. This is just part of the glorification process to build a myth around a "new religion". Take one's word for fact. Echo and enhance it and you'll have pilgrims following.

Not that I am dissing all the kids who attended the scene back then. Just setting the "record" straight. The scene vigor and enthusiasm toward soul music in Northern Soul was true for some, partly important for more and part of the uniform for mosts. This is true for most scenes, sub-culture teen phenomenon and other sects. 

And I believe it still is to this day on the different fragments of this scattered scene. People still travel some IME. Hopefully not only on holiday resort Week-Ender package formula thingies. Following their DJ's, gangs of friends and hosters not to fall into the 'unknown' (Woo scary !) or unexpected adventurous experience 😉

So by the phrase 'plain good' in the initial post, I take it that means it's a record you really like not a dumbing down of the records qualities?  It would seem that we concur..  

Edited by Gazoor
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!