'Detroit. My home town' Album review.

In early April I had a phone call from my mate Alex Denham who was raving about this album, so much so that I bought it straight away and was really impressed. A great set of unissued tracks that don't disappoint!

1. J. J. Barnes "Lucille", nothing to do with the Little Richard track but a typical stomper from wylie and hestor 2. Stylists "I need your loving". Great uptempo northern track 3. Tony Hester "Keep a hold on me". great version of the Diane Lewis classic. 4.Jimmy Gilford "All over and done". Finger snapping loveliness. 5.Deon Jackson "I've got so much love". slightly different sound to his other outings but great nonetheless. 6.Popcorn Wylie "Going to a happening" (instrumental). speaks for itself 7.Jimmy Gilford & James Scruggs "Don't let me lose it". great motown sounding track 8.Bobby Sheppard "Surely". magnificent, moody, midtempo, a 3 A. M. Tune! 9.Perfections "Just can't leave you". excellent group soul 10.Rose Battiste "It's not what you say". great girly Detroit sound. 11.Sharon McMahan "I have no choice". The original version by the woman that penned it and for me the best version. 12.Jimmy Delphs "Where there is love" last but definitely not least a fabulous slab of soul also written by Sharon McMahan.

All in all a great album for all Detroit collectors, pressed on heavyweight vinyl. The only thing missing Alex and I both thought some sleeve notes would have been nice but a great album and a future collectors item.

Gary Samways and Alex Denham.

Available now at

www.hayleyrecords.co.uk

soul thumbnail_Hayley LP.front

soul thumbnail_Hayley LP.back

Edited by Rob Moss
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic