Unreleased Sam Dees

Soulwolf

With the lockdown, I am listening to quite a lot of  soul on the radio. Heard a track on the Marc Collins show on Solar Radio at the weekend Sam Dees -Funny, said it was unreleased dated from around  1971 recorded when at Chess. The recording was from an acetate, the original version apparently is short just over 2.30, but the version played had been extended. Marc hinted that it would make a great release on a 7 inch and I would agree, what do others think?

The show is on  Mixcloud , the track is played after Starguard Which Way is Up around 1 hour 8 Minutes -

• Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Daved said:

It sounds a bit like Sam Dees but I'm not certain it's him. Mind you there are similarities to Fragile, Handle With Care on a couple of lines.

That's definitely Sam, It's nice enough and there are so many Sam Fans, so I guess it will be a good seller

I have an acetate of Right In The Middle Of Falling In Love (Betty Lavette, Solaris) by Sam on Unichappel (but it's not in brilliant nick)

Sam.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

It is Sam Dees. Rod Dearlove had this as a 10" acetate and talked about it in issue #24 of his "Voices Of Shadows" magazine which came out in 1997. He also stated it was recorded in 1971. The other song on the acetate was "Found Love In My Own Backyard". 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!