Half a Dozen Crackers

A very select bunch today, most are obscure and semi-known, but all great for today!

Sound Files included.  PM any questions or to reserve.

Richard Paradise – Let me stay – A&T 128 M- £850

Hard to find modern soul monster.  This New York based label strikes me as a very small in-house production, with the writer Richard Watson, being one and the same as the arranger, producer and artist Richard Paradise, quite the jack of all trades!

1104273222_AT11.JPG.2745366abe2bc02840ecdcbb9b7a8ec8.JPG Richard Paradise - Let me stay.mp3

Frankie Lyman & His All Stars – I’m Sorry – Big Apple 100 M- £950 SOLD

Ripe dancefloor filler, with storming horn and string fanfares, smooth classy vocals on punchy backing.  Frankie died young from an overdose.  Remains a rare 45 on the scene and probably unknown to many, even harder in this high grade condition. Just a small label nick on flipside spindle hole.

746683254_BigApple11.JPG.047ea1aadf2ed6d750cde3a009aab08c.JPG Frankie Lyman & his All Stars - I'm Sorry.mp3

Everyday People – World full of people – Brownstone 5000 M- £1000

Mid 70s funky edged dancer, remains hard to find.  Audibly and visually M- but has a slight dish to it that plays through without any affect.  Just the faintest ring wear. The flip “I’d like to stay” has a light fingernail mark, again DNAP.

906698268_Brownstone2.jpg.6049f8484890c1584c138ef1243245a4.jpg Everyday People - World full of people.mp3

Sammy O’Banion with Features – Cause it hurts – Delphi 382 M- £600 SOLD

Albany, Georgia label owned by Roy Smith, which in amongst a catalogue of beach music does sport some great and rare Northern collectibles.  I’ve read that there’s more copies of Oxford Nights than this, but that’s speculation.  What it doesn’t change is its obvious rarity, freshness and potential.  Neat string intro, melodic beat and mellow vocals on the mid-tempo gem.  Story goes, 1000 pressed, the 45 flopped and 950 where trashed, this is 1 of 3 I’ve seen of the surviving 50. Top side is M-, flip looks M- but has some very light feedback at start.    

IMG_E2493.JPG.8cb403c36a48a1bd7c3b82d8c5d60f00.JPG Features with Sammy O'Banion - Cause it hurts.mp3

Elsie Strong – You cut the love line – Empire 50105 Ex+ £1400

Cut at Twenty Grand Music, in Norfolk, Virginia, this is a stable mate to Warren Millers, Nottingham Disc Co. and Sounds International labels, the latter sporting the desirable Sheepherders. In 62 Elsie’s flip “Satisfied” on Hit Sound was proclaimed Motown / Northern well before its time.  With earlier releases on Sounds International, inc a superb cover of the Tops “Ask the lonely”, Empire and Finally!, she reinvented herself on  Legrand between 69-71, a prolific return for a late arrival, and all of these releases have been present on the Northern scene at some point. ”You cut the love line” is yet another find and spin for the incredible Guy Hennigan, hats off to you again Sir!  Vinyl is just short of M-, and plays accordingly, the top side label fixed slightly off label.  A fine piece of Ol’ Virginian Soul.

IMG_E2498.JPG.5a0c5dbac5430ff82824cca97edafb50.JPG Elsie Strong - You cut the love line.mp3

Young Devines – Ain’t that sharp – Note 7215 VG+ £375 SOLD

Another Georgia label, this time Atlanta based, owned by Jesse Jones, and a sister label to Tragar and Super Sound Inc, known for Tee Fletcher, Sonia Ross, Eula Cooper and others. Jones used the FAME studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama for many of his label’s recordings.  The Young Devines tight musical arrangement, upbeat vocals and slick harmonies, and occasional deep bass punctuation's provides a “Divine” masterclass.  First press, top side has light scuffs that cause a little feedback on the intro, but it clears quickly as the vocals break in, overall Ex minus. Labels are off white.

1139568500_Note10.JPG.edb0b290a1acde0c6acc2a947e2ad09b.JPG Young Devines - Ain't that sharp.mp3

PayPal as friends or add 4% please, or I can send bank details.

Postage:

£7.50 – Special Delivery (Fully insured £500)

£8.50 – Special Delivery (Fully insured £1000)

£9.50 – Special Delivery (Fully insured £2500)

Overseas on request

Cheers, Lee

Edited by Soulfulsolutions
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source