Flamingemeralds

Cows

Has anybody else had a scary experience with cows (bovine, not women).    I've had an awful one today, in a field. I was walking. Public footpath, through a field, round the perimeter, next to a fence.   Surrounded, I was, by a herd of about 40 of them.  I'm a country girl, grew up with fields, horses, sheep, hens, pigs, cattle......there were no calves.....they came thundering across the field. I was alone and thought...... I'm dead.    I looked around for a weapon and thank god found a long piece of wood!  They surrounded me completely and everytime I edged along the fence, they just came along, snorting and breathing and hustling each other to get to the front.   I had to keep swiping at them with my weapon.   After about 15 minutes of trying to work out an escape plan.  I eventually took the plunge and charged at them flayling the weapon in the air and putting my best man voice on (which is completely not like a man voice) shouting at them to GET AWAY YOU BIG FAT BLACK AND WHITE BOVINE BULLIES, then I roared like a lion RAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!  (Scary huh!?)  They looked absolutely mortified, turned on their heels, the whole lot of them, and literally charged so far away I couldn't even see them.  Yeah!!! See who's boss now!  I ran and ran to the end of the field and threw myself over a barbed wire fence into a field of corn.   I brought my life saving weapon home....and I'm having a bucket of white wine. 

My hero....IMG_20200502_192524631.thumb.jpg.2b78b2b4024e3e6db398f2a0d3a98024.jpg

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Scary , big and they can move when they want to .

Guess we see them mostly as rather docile , gentle creatures that give us milk and beef burgers .. but yes you better beware . If mothers are protecting their carves or bulls wanting to stamp their authority on their territory , take care .

My best mate had his dog killed by a cow in a campsite field, that had a path through the middle down to a beach in Sennen - Cornwall. Dog was on a long lead , and we didn’t realise how quick this bull was. 

After that , the owner made a fence around the edge of the field to the exit gate . 

Cant go through that field without thinking of that day two years ago . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

have read a few times about people getting killed by them

someone once told me - to scare cows lift your arms up and shout, apparently they see everything bigger , so when you lift your arms you look massive to them

dunno how true or scientific that is, but... I have used it a few times when needed and it seemed to work so maybe something to try if all else fails 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cow = vacca = the base for the word vaccination so they can't be all bad!👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I will seriously never, ever walk through a field of cows again. I wonder whether a whistle or an attack alarm would scare them off....not that I'll be trying that anytime soon! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
38 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Cow = vacca = the base for the word vaccination so they can't be all bad!👍

Someone else who was made to suffer first form Latin many years ago Julian? 😂

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

1 hour ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Has anybody else had a scary experience with cows (bovine,

Coincidentally, my other half was telling me about a scary situation that was pretty much identical to yours, except it happened when she was a girl in Lincolnshire. She was in danger of being crushed by some cows until the farmer came along and rescued her.

Reassuringly (not), he told here they were always doing that!

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

to scare cows lift your arms up and shout,

This is the advice given if you're out in the wilderness and threatened by a bear or a mountain lion. Stand your ground, make yourself as tall and as big as possible. Put your hands in your coat pockets and lift your arms above your head to make yourself look even more of a threat. 

But, hey, if it works on cows as well, that's good to know.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

It would have been lovely if they'd been little bunnits.....1447475042_Screenshot_20200502-2250552.thumb.png.8eab31f7261b9056b1d3b1d9b332187b.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Are you sure ... ?

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 hours ago, Mike said:

have read a few times about people getting killed by them

someone once told me - to scare cows lift your arms up and shout, apparently they see everything bigger , so when you lift your arms you look massive to them

dunno how true or scientific that is, but... I have used it a few times when needed and it seemed to work so maybe something to try if all else fails 

That really works Mike, just watch a farmer herding them, they always wave there arms in the air

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I will seriously never, ever walk through a field of cows again. I wonder whether a whistle or an attack alarm would scare them off....not that I'll be trying that anytime soon! 

!!!. I married a cow once, Opps sorry it was a dragon. Louise they probably where just been cows. Nosey, That,s where the saying comes from plus they,re a herding animal so when one moves towards you, they all will. Try walking near them with a big lens, they try to lick it to death, No calves to protect or dog with you you would have been fine love. X

PS . How was the wine

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Did you have a dog with you? 

Plenty of stories in recent years of people walking dogs being killed by cows.

Well done anyway and thanks for posting. I will be a bit more wary of any I come across during lockdown walks after reading it. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
9 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Are you sure ... ?

I really need to watch that film. Ive never seen it. 😂😂😂😂😂  They'd have been fine if they'd had my life saving plank 👍🏼😂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

!!!. I married a cow once, Opps sorry it was a dragon. Louise they probably where just been cows. Nosey, That,s where the saying comes from plus they,re a herding animal so when one moves towards you, they all will. Try walking near them with a big lens, they try to lick it to death, No calves to protect or dog with you you would have been fine love. X

PS . How was the wine

So do you mingle with the cows? Quite happily? In the field, even if they're running at you with thundering hooves?  CHARGE!!!!! I mean they didn't just amble over.  And I'm sure it wasn't a case of "Hey!!!! It's Louise! Let's go and see if she's got any 7" original soul vinyl?!".   "Yeah!! Great idea Daisy! I'll race you! Come on Buttercup! Last one there gets the drinks in!"

It was more like "Human alien alert, human alien alert. DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY. TRAMPLE AND SQUASH! TRAMPLE AND SQUASH!! MOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"  Oooooh I still shudder when I think about it. 🤪

The wine was ok. I quaffed it with a pizza watching Not Going Out, because I wasn't.  Then I had some CoCo Pops, because during lockdown, snap crackle and pop is a very exciting culinary experience.   I only had one glass of wine mister Steve.   Any more and I WOULD have felt like I'd been trampled by The Bowland Bovine Herd of Death. 🙄

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cow soul track ..

I herd it through the grapevine

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Remade later as "Herd it through the bovine" by Frankie Valli and the Four Friesians

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Where was Major Lance and his matador when you needed him.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

So do you mingle with the cows? Quite happily? In the field, even if they're running at you with thundering hooves?  CHARGE!!!!! I mean they didn't just amble over.  And I'm sure it wasn't a case of "Hey!!!! It's Louise! Let's go and see if she's got any 7" original soul vinyl?!".   "Yeah!! Great idea Daisy! I'll race you! Come on Buttercup! Last one there gets the drinks in!"

It was more like "Human alien alert, human alien alert. DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY. TRAMPLE AND SQUASH! TRAMPLE AND SQUASH!! MOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"  Oooooh I still shudder when I think about it. 🤪

The wine was ok. I quaffed it with a pizza watching Not Going Out, because I wasn't.  Then I had some CoCo Pops, because during lockdown, snap crackle and pop is a very exciting culinary experience.   I only had one glass of wine mister Steve.   Any more and I WOULD have felt like I'd been trampled by The Bowland Bovine Herd of Death. 🙄

I,ve been in a field with cows a few times .!!! Had them come towards me at a trot but it was quite hard to wave my arms around carrying fishing tackle but they stopped and starred a yard or two away. The same herd of cows licked my mates electric wing mirrors to death and left them hanging by the cables and covered in slime. Cost him about £350 for repairs

You should have joined us at the virtual nighter last night Mrs , musically it was right up your street. Loads of 70,s 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. I'll Love You Till The Cows Come Home...*.r&b*
    Record Sales by Ezzie Brown on Thu 12 Feb 2009
    • 1 / 318
    • ezzie brown on 12 Feb 2009
  2. Clyde Mcphatter - Ill Love You Till The Cows Come Home
    Record Sales by Guest soul85 on Mon 04 May 2009
    • 2 / 386
    • soul85 on 04 May 2009
  3. News: RSG Back 2 Basics with the Cows
    All About the SOUL by jonbuck on Fri 22 Jun 2007
    • 1 / 163
    • jonbuck on 22 Jun 2007
  4. Vernon Harrell – If This Ain't Love (Ain't No Cows In Texas)
    Record Sales by dekka on Thu 27 Aug 2015
    • 1 / 649
    • dekka on 27 Aug 2015

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.