Posted (edited)

Right folks it’s time for me and Soul Source to part company. Since this isn’t the place to explain why, I will set out my reasons for leaving in the Site/Support forum. See link below.

I’ve been a member on here since the very early days, so long that I can’t even remember when it was. I’ve hooked back up with old mates who I haven’t seen in donkeys’ years and made new mates along the way. I learned countless new things with regard to the Scene and the music and would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this. I don’t think I’m being unfair to anyone else if I single out Robbk and Boba (RIP) for special mention. The width and breadth of knowledge on here, over the years, has been truly amazing, not to mention things like Lorraine Chandler coming on here. The total collective content on here has got to be the most comprehensive knowledge base, about the Scene and possibly Soul Music, anywhere on the net. If it were possible to collate it properly, it would be a world class resource.

I would prefer to stay on here, but I don’t think I’ll have a choice following the site/support post.

Here

Hopefully this post will stay up long enough, so that everybody it’s intended for, gets to see it.

Anybody who wants to keep in touch can email me at n5oul@aol.com (That’s a FIVE not an SSSSS)

Edited by Kegsy
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

•  Views 1.5k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The history of Soul music is inextricably linked with the struggle of Black America. From, What's Going On to Curtis Mayfield (Impressions/Early Curtom albums) thru to Gil Scott Heron, Angela Davis an

Would be a shame to see you go mate, one of the good guys in my opinion.  Opinionated but aren’t we all. Hopefully you’ll be around for sometime yet. 

I hope you don't have to leave in the end, Kegsy, after all your years of contribution.  I didn't see any controversial posts or "heated" arguments on The COVID thread to warrant any warnings.  But, w

Posted

moving this out of all about the soul  to the support forum

have replied to your points in the other topic

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Why move it ?, people won't see it in site and support and i'd like to thank many of the people on here.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Why move it ?, people won't see it in site and support and i'd like to thank many of the people on here.

I moved as membership etc is a site issue

Edited by Mike
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

You know, I have the biggest arguments with my best friends.

Expressing thoughts and opinions create debate.

Free speech should be cherished.

On the other hand if this website was not 99% about soul issues.....I would not be on it.

Once we stray away from a soul topic.....it highlights how different we all are.

Sad that anybody feels compelled to leave, but at the same time a spell away from the front line might calm emotions!

Brexit debates created division more than anything else as far as I remember, just like in general life.

This site split into for and against with not many on the fence.

Maybe politics should be left out.

I hope kegsy stays to maintain our broad church.

Ed

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Hi Kegsy

When we had the 'political ' page, I was always getting told off and banned occasionally.  Didn't upset me too much.

Maybe the lack of pub visits and lack of alcohol is clouding your judgement 👍😂😂

Stay safe 

Julian and Carolyn xx

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, Julianb said:

lack of alcohol

Don't worry mate I've got a nice stock of French and Spanish reds to go at.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I hope you don't have to leave in the end, Kegsy, after all your years of contribution.  I didn't see any controversial posts or "heated" arguments on The COVID thread to warrant any warnings.  But, why wouldn't Mike just erase the argument portion, and then even end the thread, and suffice with just a "slap on the wrist warning" if he felt things went too far.  I hope free speech on this forum won't end.  But I understand that this forum is meant for discussion of Soul music.  And maybe getting too deeply into off-topic arguments where people's intent can be misinterpreted can go beyond what the maintainer of the website feels he shouldn't have to deal with that, in addition to all the work needed to keep the site going. 

It wouldn't bother me terribly if any thread that got too political were stopped, as long as the Soul music threads stay, and long-term well-respected members wouldn't end up feeling compelled to leave, or wouldn't be banned over getting into political arguments.  Personally, I think it is interesting to find out how people in other places are dealing with the current crisis.

I hope you and Mike can patch up your differences on this and you end up staying.

I probably got way too political on that thread, too.  Luckily, no one started arguing with my posts, so I hope I don't have to look over my shoulder expecting a warning.  But, I'll stop the complaining, because everyone now knows how I feel on that subject.

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Would be a shame to see you go mate, one of the good guys in my opinion.  Opinionated but aren’t we all.

Hopefully you’ll be around for sometime yet. 

• Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I always thought you were, as I would like to be viewed- balanced. 

I didn't ever see you ranting & raving and you were capable of walking away when the fight was done and others couldn't hack doing the same.

I'm hoping you'll stay frankly.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Probably see eye to eye on very few subjects, but I've always been happy to debate anything with you, and believe it or not, I'll be sad to see you depart. Take a deep breath, take stock, and do a Leon Heywood, ok?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Forums can be difficult places at times., We can sometimes write a post and someone can read it differently than the poster meant . 

Or we can get caught up with our own steadfast belief structure and not be willing to view both side .Add to that mix politics , football or OVO , and it can be a recipe for disaster .

However, healthy debate and discussion with free speech to voice your disagreement on situations is vital. As long as you do it with respect for all concerned , including moderators  , as their role is a vital one . 

We may all be feeling fairly strongly about lots of things at this time. These are not easy days to get through. But the one thing I have found in here is a unique , unified love of the music which must never be lost and which must prevail. 

Kegsy - Mike ... it’s a pity that someone as knowledgable or a long standing feels it time to call it a day on here , when this place should be a haven and release from all of this virus crap . 

Maybe a phone call or a private message can do more help than sanction or public rebuke , for both of you . 

Fingers crossed there some middle ground here boys . 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Joey said:

and do a Leon Heywood

I've always believed half of what I see and none of what I hear 😀, but I don't think you mean that one.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
45 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

I've always believed half of what I see and none of what I hear 😀, but I don't think you mean that one.

ok, looking like we are now going down the road of chat and such
So gonna be closing this around lunch time as feel that there's nothing to be gained either way with long drawn out farewells

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

about soul issues.

12 hours ago, Robbk said:

this forum is meant for discussion of Soul music.

8 hours ago, Stevegods said:

unified love of the music

The history of Soul music is inextricably linked with the struggle of Black America. From, What's Going On to Curtis Mayfield (Impressions/Early Curtom albums) thru to Gil Scott Heron, Angela Davis and many, many others Soul music has been politicised from the very beginning. Those that embrace the whole world of Soul music, as opposed to the narrower "northern" subset, are bound to have been exposed to it's political elements. Therefore discussing politics/current affairs etc. is a perfectly natural extension of the love of the music. Without playing down the race element, I would say, there's not much difference between the struggle of Black America and the struggle of the poor/working people the world over. 

Maybe my life long love of all soul music is part of what causes me to react, as I occasionally do, on certain threads. I can admit to being totally gobsmacked by some of the comments on some of the threads, particularly the Brexit ones. I just can't believe that true Soul music lovers could hold some of the opinions they do. 

• Up vote 7
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

as now have a post by @Kegsy regarding soul music history and his political posts and such 

am closing this as feel it has now done its job - as in let us know that the member is leaving

Edited by Mike
edited
soul source url
Social source share