Best and worst 'tailor-mades'?

Hiya, have you ever heard the ' joker' on UK creole label ? Chipmunks laughing if I remember correctly (speeded up) deffo but yep tailor made release. Alcohol must be consumed before listening, cheers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What about the jaw-droppingly poor organ instrumental versions that Simon Soussan turned up and played at Wigan? (I think that's right - too young myself).  I heard a tape once and it was very bad indeed. What was the reaction at the time? And did any of those ever come out?😄

Social source share

1 minute ago, purist said:

Liked it then, still like it now, "Dena Barnes " These Heartaches

Each to their own but that is beyond words. How in the name of God did they come out the studio and think "You know what, that vocal sounds great. We'll go with that take"

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, purist said:

Liked it then, still like it now, "Dena Barnes " These Heartaches

A Soussan "production" no less. Obviously pitched up and it would appear to be Patti Brookes according to an old SS thread who worked under the name of Adrienne Williams. That name features on the Del-Satins track mentioned earlier.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Godzilla said:

It’s only the flip on the UK issue done fir he NS scene John. Life is a Song got a few plays before The Flasher came out - probably why the artist was already on the radar. The flip of Life is a version of Living For The City, which is pretty nice if I remember correctly.

Must look that up. Thanks for the info.

Social source share

Not mentioned yet but not a tailor-made (so not scary sounding like most are) but more like influenced with some budget to produce something this scene would dig with the right people in and around the music.

A bit in the same "idea" of the Carol Anderson on Fee or is it Grapevine ? 'sad girl' that I love BTW. Only predating by a decade is this one. As for the 'pole', worst is easy; all of them. Best, now that's a tricky one...

246337549_Capturedcran2020-05-1020_25_29.png.9a8b06a1d56c34562926c0e78fabd5d5.png

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

Question- Would this qualify as a "tailor made" or is it just a song

that sounds like it was made a lot earlier? If it is a "tailor made"  it would be in my Top 5.

No. Not a tailor-made at all. Although the US release and the UK one on Grapevine came out the same year (I think) which to my mind, makes the UK one simply a UK release of a recent US release rather than a 'reissue'.

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

No. Not a tailor-made at all AFAIK. Although the US release and the UK one on Grapevine came out the same year (I think) which to my mind, makes the UK one simply a UK release of a recent US release rather than a 'reissue'.

Agree, a quality sound

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 20:35, Bruv said:

The Exciters - Reaching For The Best    Still doesn't sound bad in 2020 

Most of the scene at that time were fortunate enough to see them perform this live. Totally captivated, perfect exciting dancer for that era. My top 20 N/S records of all time change daily, but this almost always features, because part of being a purist is refusing to deny what actually happened, which records were and weren't played, enjoyed, danced to etc :D

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 15:33, Jaco said:

Each to their own but that is beyond words. How in the name of God did they come out the studio and think "You know what, that vocal sounds great. We'll go with that take"

My god, she can`t hold a note in a fkn bucket, that`s absolutely atrocious!!!

Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 12:07, Merve said:

Might as well chuck this pile of dog turd into the mix .....

Really?........really?Who the fk is responsible for that steamer? 

Outside now!👊

Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 20:30, Joesoap said:

No. Not a tailor-made at all. Although the US release and the UK one on Grapevine came out the same year (I think) which to my mind, makes the UK one simply a UK release of a recent US release rather than a 'reissue'.

I never really noticed that about the fee/grapevine connection. Was the flaming emeralds a similar story?

Ed

Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 19:37, Tlscapital said:

Not mentioned yet but not a tailor-made (so not scary sounding like most are) but more like influenced with some budget to produce something this scene would dig with the right people in and around the music.

A bit in the same "idea" of the Carol Anderson on Fee or is it Grapevine ? 'sad girl' that I love BTW. Only predating by a decade is this one. As for the 'pole', worst is easy; all of them. Best, now that's a tricky one...

246337549_Capturedcran2020-05-1020_25_29.png.9a8b06a1d56c34562926c0e78fabd5d5.png

One of the best soul records ever made both sides stunning

Social source share

9 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I never really noticed that about the fee/grapevine connection. Was the flaming emeralds a similar story?

Ed

Apparently, the licensing was in place thru the Flaming Emeralds release and John Anderson heard /discovered the Carol Anderson record on a subsequent visit. Hence he brought over copies the record on Fee and was able to follow on with a swift release on Grapevine. The two releases have always been available in roughly equal quantities in my experience and both used to be very plentiful and cheap.

Social source share

On 09/05/2020 at 18:56, epic said:

David Rhodes was a bona-fide tune that Ian Levine had as an acetate at The Mecca - it is not a "tailor made".

He was with David Rhodes when he recorded it don’t know how much input Ian had on the tune though

Social source share

On 09/05/2020 at 19:50, Soulman58 said:

Always hated Cochise but loved Afternoon Of The Rhino

Paul Humphrey was a jazz musician, don’t think this was tailor made afternoon of the rhino lap track think soundtrack to a film

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mark B said:

He was with David Rhodes when he recorded it don’t know how much input Ian had on the tune though

It was co-authored by Rhodes with producer Danny Leake, who became a key collaborator of Levine's soon after. Quite possible that Levine was more of an observer at this point but learning fast re the whole recording process. Good record imho.

Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 19:37, Tlscapital said:

I read somewhere (ages ago) That Dave Godin used the name Chris to avoid legal problems. I never knew what that meant but Van McCoy was all over this

Marke.jpg

Social source share

19 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Really?........really?Who the fk is responsible for that steamer? 

Outside now!👊

Mr Soussan I believe unless anyone else knows better....It certainly appeared on his list first along with Suzy Parker , Dena Barnes (these heartaches not the good one !) and a few other 'questionable' re-issues at the same time in early 76

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/05/2020 at 18:27, Andybellwood said:

David Rhodes 'Hung Up In Mid Air' on Chi City which appeared in 2002 . Wasn't Chi City an Ian Levine label (? ) but not sure if this 45 fits the 'taylor made'  scenario?

2016 then saw a re issue via Record Shack with a 'disco' remix on the flip . 

Absolutely superb record.
Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!