Shinehead

Football and Covid 19

What are peoples thoughts on this season's problem finishing the season , serious please no anti Liverpool  bias lol.

My thoughts are end the season now because I can not see any point in playing matches behind closed doors  with the current health risks .

I see the bottom few clubs in the Premier League are happy to play with the risk of relegation took away , f**I the players etc health , I can not see how a contact sport can operate with any realistic way under the current situation , end the season now and hopefully in August try to start again .

Thoughts anyone ?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I'm not really in to football, but I understand how important and enjoyable it is to lots of people.

But I have to agree - Either call last season void, or pick up where it left off when it is safe to do so, including when supporters can attend.  Patience is a virtue, the long awaited matches will be very exciting for all.

Len :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Would have loved the season to end  with the matches played even if behind closed doors. Even though part of me thinks   just give the premiership title  to Liverpool but on the other hand  can't ignore other positions in the league . Everyone wanting a Champion's league spot next season. Yes utd where 5th but  we were playing  well and possibly  along with other teams would  have fought for that 4th place. Plus  teams in other divisions nearing promotion would be hard done  by.

Personally miss the match day and meeting up with like minded folk but think big gatherings will be the last thing to happen.

Edited by Wayoutgirl

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Neutral grounds , playing less than 45 minutes each half are some of the suggestions so far , whatever happens the leagues will be compromised but the longer this goes on without games all it does is impact on next season .

As for the European competitions they should be put to bed for this and next season with the uncertainty of this virus , will not happen though , money rules .

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

What about finish this season WHENEVER it is safe to do so as next season is the one to scrap , nothing depends on it result wise because if say they scrap this season, start next season and we have another outbreak what then ? Scrap that season too . If by a miracle the get a vaccine sorted soon enough fair enough crack on . So if this season ends up into what would have been next season so be it , let that season be the ‘missing’ season. Maybe we could drag this season out by playing once a fortnight ( if it was say very late in the year before it can be restarted) , maybe the prem clubs could help by playing the lower leagues to help them out , maybe a one off nhs trophy or something if the Europe competitions are scrapped. Only thinking of the cuff here so any other suggestions I’m all ears . I agree with shinehead that the European comps should /could be scrapped for a season.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
35 minutes ago, Colnago said:

What about finish this season WHENEVER it is safe to do so as next season is the one to scrap , nothing depends on it result wise because if say they scrap this season, start next season and we have another outbreak what then ? Scrap that season too . If by a miracle the get a vaccine sorted soon enough fair enough crack on . So if this season ends up into what would have been next season so be it , let that season be the ‘missing’ season. Maybe we could drag this season out by playing once a fortnight ( if it was say very late in the year before it can be restarted) , maybe the prem clubs could help by playing the lower leagues to help them out , maybe a one off nhs trophy or something if the Europe competitions are scrapped. Only thinking of the cuff here so any other suggestions I’m all ears . I agree with shinehead that the European comps should /could be scrapped for a season.

Scrapping next season is a good idea.

Finishing this season and starting and finishing next season is in my opinion not doable.

As for the proposals for this season to be played behind closed doors etc is just in my opinion to get the games on TV so they the Premier League still keep their revenue from Sky for the broadcasting rights.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Unless serious funding comes forward from somewhere...there may be half of all football league clubs gone out of business before next season.

Got to be one of the highest overheads business model to turnover in existence.

Last year most clubs run at a loss. This year it's going to be worse.

It's usually hmrc who close clubs down.

Maybe the government will waive the debt?

Truly shocking times. Even my team....the mighty millers will struggle with the ratio of income to wages that govern fair play.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 minutes ago, Simon T said:

Anyone else read & tried to make sense of it. Whatever happens, I think it'll all end in tears

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52529679

The multi millionaire players and the club's paying them  will be terrified of the financial impact of playing behind closed doors .

As for the government helping them out as muted by Ed above I would think join the queue behind the Airlines ect.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I can see it getting Voided unless things drastically improve by the end of this Month. 

Health comes before any Sport, right now. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

It’s all Gary Neville’s fault .. 

Not going to discuss Premiership issues as what is far more serious is what it’s going to do to the lower league and none league clubs .. tragic . 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

What are peoples thoughts on this season's problem finishing the season

Finish the season when it’s safe, don’t care if it’s behind closed doors different stadiums on a park or TV / radio - if it delays next season so what at sometime it’s going to catch itself up - 2/3/4 years 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Football at War time - and we really can’t manage it now ?

Great Britain declared war on Germany on 4th August, 1914. Cricket and rugby competitions stopped almost immediately after the outbreak of the First World War. However, the Football League continued with the 1914-15 season.

The 1939-40 season started in August 1939, but with the outbreak of the Second World War shortly after, league football was suspended. It only resumed at the end of October, with a number of local city-championships having been played to bridge the gap.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
34 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

Football at War time - and we really can’t manage it now ?

Great Britain declared war on Germany on 4th August, 1914. Cricket and rugby competitions stopped almost immediately after the outbreak of the First World War. However, the Football League continued with the 1914-15 season.

The 1939-40 season started in August 1939, but with the outbreak of the Second World War shortly after, league football was suspended. It only resumed at the end of October, with a number of local city-championships having been played to bridge the gap.

I would think playing football through a pandemic is totally different to war time , players were guesting for other teams etc and the threat was from outside Britain not from within.

Plus now everyone wants a piece of the cake , there is the impact of the new season delay on the Euros , The Champions  League and the British Leagues.

At best any overseas tournaments and international football should be suspended for 20/21 , will it happen in a money oriented game ? , with a organisation like Fifa I very much doubt it.

There is talk of the Premier League bailing the lower leagues out , that could be fanciful because of the vast wages paid to ordinary players and the threat to their own existence as this crisis goes on.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

There is too many commercial considerations at stake for a properly thought out solution to be accepted. All international and European competitions should be voided for this season.

Leagues should be completed, properly i.e. as per fixture list and with fans when it is safe to do so. If this means this season taking until May 2021 so be it. Allow transfer windows to stand, I shouldn't think there will be much activity anyway.

Any other solution - behind closed doors, neutral venues, shortened halves, five subs per match etc just risks the integrity of the final league table and, no doubt, legal issues from clubs who end up relegated.

The position with the EFL is more difficult because finances at League One level and below is stretched during normal times. Premier League should do more to help out - maybe through PL players giving up some of their wage to help players further done the pyramid.

None of this shall happen though because of greed, sorry commercial consideration.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Finish this season before worrying about next season.  If this season means next season is delayed or cancelled so what. You cant just erase a season that is 3/4 done. Too many clubs using the crisis for their own advantage and thats shamefully selfish. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Agree Leicester      they want to avoid relegation so are voting against it the bottom 6      they dont want you lot in the champions league  bud         im leeds pal we want to get it done !   

If you havent had the opportunity get yer sen on Bury All Nighter on Saturday night its a virtual all  nighter  7 till 6 am    people having a great crack all night with some tunes to die for   6 djs some big hitters in the group 

All the best pal 

Martin L 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

If we finish this year and don't have next season, anything other than approx half of the Premier league clubs are in serious trouble.  Easier to shut this now, precedents elsewhere and how they can start next season in the Autumn.  As to who goes up and down, the best proposal I have seen is no relegation, promote the top two and then have more teams go down next year.  As for the titles whoever is top wins the league second is 2nd etc re Europe, though that may be the easiest competition to scrap next year, though that's not how the money grabbing elite will see it.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. US Postal Service COVID-19 Restrictions
    Look At Your Box by Johnny Northern on Thu 26 Mar 2020
    • 113 / 5816
    • samplat on 19 May 2020
  2. Fightin the Covid-19 with music: new mix
    Soul Media by Enricoacm1899 on Mon 13 Apr 2020
    • 4 / 416
    • BunderThollox on 15 Apr 2020
  3. Examples of being ripped off - covid 19 related
    Freebasing by Tomangoes on Sat 23 May 2020
    • 11 / 458
    • Fish Fingers on 25 May 2020
  4. 23rd December Soul @ Bury Football Club, Gigg Lane, Bury
    Events Archive by Guest stash313 on Thu 22 Dec 2005
    • 1 / 482
    • stash313 on 22 Dec 2005
  5. Like Fanatsy Football But For Dj's
    All About the SOUL by Guest Bicks on Thu 22 Jan 2009
    • 3 / 517
    • Bicks on 22 Jan 2009

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.