Sweet Pea Atkinson RIP

Hillard "Sweet Pea" Atkinson (born c. 1945 - died May 5, 2020)  known as one of the vocalists for the band Was (Not Was). In 1982, shortly after the release of the first Was (Not Was) album, he recorded and released his first solo album, Don't Walk Away. The album was co-produced by Was (Not Was) members David Weiss and Donald Fagenson, also known as the Was Brothers. In 1997, along with Kris Kristofferson, Atkinson starred in a 15-minute short film included on Don Was' album Forever’s a Long, Long Time, which Was released under the alias Orquestra Was. Atkinson also performed as lead vocalist on most of the songs on the album, on which Was interprets songs by Hank Williams. 
Atkinson later joined forces with Blues guitarist Randy Jacobs - also a longtime Was (Not Was) session guitarist who co-wrote the band's most successful hit, "Walk the Dinosaur" - in a band called the Boneshakers; together they released three albums. Two of those were studio recordings: Book of Spells in 1997 on Point Blank Records, and Shake the Planet in 1999, also on Point Blank Records. The third album that they cut together is a live album, Live in Seattle, with the groovy saxophonist Mindi Abair. It was released on Concord Records. Two more albums were credited to Mindi Abair and the Boneshakers: The EastWest Sessions (2017) and All I Got for Christmas Is the Blues (2018).

One of the nice tunes and another sad loss

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sorry to learn this. He had a terrific voice but recorded mostly in musical areas usually outside my interest, which was a shame but there you go. He seems to have had a good career in the business which is more than can be said for many equally talented people loved on here. Maybe now is a good time to do some digging and see what I've missed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!