Connections with a mystery ending.

Kegsy

Firstly, I know Ronb usually posts these kind of topics, I’m not trying to steal his thunder, I just didn’t know what else to call the thread.

Quite a while ago there was a topic to try and trace who the Tangeers were, some of this was posted there at the time. I did a lot of sleuthing on the topic and found all sorts of other related connections.

image.png.8fbcc2070b86a5c1cdf3ac571b4f62b4.png

It all started by using the names of people involved with the Tangeers release. The parts in italics are from the music press at the time, the bold italics are used to highlight the relevant people/labels/ etc., that led me forward in the search. The normal bold typed bits are my ramblings on the subject.

So from the record label we have Nick Barker, Bollen and Plato.

*NEW DEAL RECORD SERVICE CORP., 1601 Guilford Ave. (837-2774) Ronnie Bollon.

Plato Productions (Ron Bollon, Plato Theophilos) 1404 Kingsbridge Turn Crofton, Md. 2113 506 Newberry St. Joppo, Md. 21085 (301) 679-4117.

Searches for Plato Theophilus didn’t reveal anything, in fact there’s hardly anything out there about him.

Bucky Buchman, President of the Records Distributing Company in Baltimore and large supplier of Little LP's, record products and accessories, formulates f u t u r e plans with his new group the Gross National Product. Group recorded on Buckman's Guilford label, their first single, "Cover Girl." It was written by Tice Griffin of the group. Nick Barker, organist, pianist, arranger; Tice Griffin, writer, lead singer, guitarist; Jay Baker, bass player; Bob Zordich, drummer;

Bomar Productions ("Bucky" Buchman) 1815 Guilford Ave. Baltimore, Md. 21202 (301) 727-6420.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Gross-National-Product-Cover-Girl/release/5717651

The gross domestic product record has Bollon & Plato as producers.

IN PRODUCTION: Artist Richard Kipp recording "Rain." Produced by Accent, arranger is Nick Barker. Artist Freddie Keene recording "West Side" c/w "Elephant Jerk." Produced by Accent on Kaymar.

Nick Barker was working at Accent Sound in Baltimore, which is where this story really starts to take off.

https://www.discogs.com/label/955804-Accent-Sound-Ltd

I’ve never heard of any of the others, but the Bleu Lights and Mickey and his Mice proved interesting. Especially Mickey and his Mice who’s first record came out on Marti and their others on Samar.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/349324-Mickey-His-Mice

All three records had involvement from Eddie Drennon and some guy called Marty Cantine.

Y-R-S DISTRIBUTORS, INC. 3123 W. North Avenue Baltimore, Md. 21216 Ernie Burston—Pres. Marty Cantine—Promotion Roger Britt—Sales.

Now you would have thought that following the Eddie Drennon path was the way to go, but the Marty Cantine one was much more fruitful.

As with Plato earlier, Marty Cantine doesn’t seem to have very much of a web presence and I admit that I had to make an assumption to continue the search. So far we’ve got Bomar/label/productions, and the Marti, Kaymar and Samar labels as part of the story, a certain Sarah Cantine recorded on Samar, where the publishing co was Marsa. Mickey Fields of Mickey and his Mice also recorded on the Edmar label, the only release on Bomar, was published by Marbuck.

So what’s with all this “mar” business, the assumption I made was that Marty Cantine was the “mar” in all these musical ventures, not a great leap.

Marti only had a brief life, Kaymar and Edmar didn’t bear much fruit but Samar was a different story.

The people involved with the Samar recordings are like a, small selection, who’s who of the very best writers/producers/arrangers that ever entered a recording studio and some went on to be huge names in the music business. Poindexters, Richard Tee, Eddie Singleton, Bert Decoteaux, Bert Keyes, Clyde Otis. Now we all know the amount of recordings made by those guys is colossal, but how about the lesser known names.

Bob Schwartz.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/679386-Bob-Schwartz

Oddly enough the co owner of Samar records was called Bob Schwaid who also has some interesting musical connections.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/743878-Bob-Schwaid

Via Samar we get Bozart music pub., Cudda Pan music pub. and Vidalia productions all involved Johnny Brantley, who worked with jimi Hendrix, Hendrix is said to have played on Jimmy Norman’s 1st Samar single.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/570306-Johnny-Brantley?sort=year%2Casc&page=1&subtype=Production&limit=25&filter_anv=0&type=Credits

Johhny Brantley produced dozens of soul 45’s, often using songs by James Lewis, Edward Lewis and Marion Farmer. Brantley also has close, early links with Lonnie Youngblood and Billy LaMont. Lonnie Youngblood worked with Bob Schwartz at Fairmount records, Bob Schwartz was at Laurie with Ron Bollon.

LAURIE RECORDS I LA É RECORDS , Contact your Laurie Distributor or call Ron Bollon or Bob Schwartz 1- 800 -344 -8249 1- 800 -421 -1410.

So we have now come full circle. I found it fascinating that some guy, Marty Cantine could have moved in the circles and have the connections he did, without hardly ever showing up on the radar.

So who was Marty Cantine ?.

Some kind of philanthropist helping out young black music talent, a hard nosed music industry businessman or even the music business arm of the local mafia ?.

I find his anonymity a very disappointing end to the tale, so come Soul Source people, dust off those old connections, especially in the Balitimore, New Jersey and New York areas and see what we can find out !.

Here’s are a couple of other bit’s I found that didn’t really fit into this story but may be relevant.

Newark Label Bows Newark Records, a new diskery specializing in R&B and pops singles, is to be distributed by Ambassador Records of Newark, N.J. The label's debut records are by vocalist Ron Price, produced by Ron Bollon & Sam Kaufman (Kay-Gee distributors Baltimore)  for Ronsam Productions, and the TNJ'S, produced by Lou Henderson.

When  Scotty Miller was 12 years old and growing up in Trenton, New Jersey, he got together with a friend, Raymond Earl, and formed a band. They called themselves the Imperialistics and played at talent shows and junior high school dances. Today, nearly fifteen years later, Miller and Earl are still together as the nucleus of Instant Funk, a fast -rising band who have just released their self -titled debut album on Salsoul Records, which includes the bulleted single, "I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)." The years in between, however, have been marked by frustrations as well as triumphs. At first, Miller's and Earl's rise to the top proceeded smoothly. Miller's brother, Kim, joined the band while in high school, and the group became a nine -piece outfit known as the TNJ's. The TNJ's played club dates in New Jersey and nearby Philadelphia, establishing their reputation as a hot funk band.

There are tenuous links that suggest the TNJ’s and Tangeers may have been connected but there’s nothing concrete that I can find.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi kegsy

what (who)are you trying find?

i can probably help if it’s The Tangiers who played with the Jetsons band...who went on to the Tan Geers and the Tangeers

best

ken

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Hi kegsy

what (who)are you trying find?

i can probably help if it’s The Tangiers who played with the Jetsons band...who went on to the Tan Geers and the Tangeers

best

ken

Who Marty Cantine  was.

Social source share

Yep that Samar label.

9 hours ago, The Yank said:

There's not much to go on with Marty but I did find these 2 items in Cashbox.

The Y-R-S ad is from 1968, the Samar info from February, 1966 . 

yrs.jpg

Sam.jpg

I found the Y-R-S info but not the other bit, I found something else that named Bob Schwartz as co-owner of Samar, as opposed to Bill Schwartau above. 

So now we have a Bill Schwartau, a Bob Schwartz and a Bob Schwaid all supposedly involved in a small NYC record label. Hmmm no wonder it's not easy to trace people, it makes you wonder if some of them ever existed at all.

At least your clipping confirms Marty Cantine was involved in Samar, something I couldn't confirm and had to assume.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

As it says in the other topic....

Tan Geers: Cora Boykins (replaced by Elaine Jones) , Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earle Beale and Bill Hagie 

TNJ's: Al Stroman, Joe Anderson, Barry Higginbotham, James Gost and Elijah Jones.

There is nothing to suggest they are remotely connected except they both have a connection with Plato Productions (Ron Bollon, Plato Theophilos).

Excellent reading Kegsy.  I'll have another read in a bit to digest it a bit more.

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Chalky said:

As it says in the other topic....

Tan Geers: Cora Boykins (replaced by Elaine Jones) , Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earle Beale and Bill Hagie 

TNJ's: Al Stroman, Joe Anderson, Barry Higginbotham, James Gost and Elijah Jones.

There is nothing to suggest they are remotely connected except they both have a connection with Plato Productions (Ron Bollon, Plato Theophilos).

Excellent reading Kegsy.  I'll have another read in a bit to digest it a bit more.

Cheers Chalky, the topic is really about Marty Cantine, who he was and how he could attract some of the talent he did, to work on relatively unknown artists/labels etc. Lets face it Samar didn't break any pots in terms of sales. 

The Icemen for example, their 2 Samar releases and the Ole 9 one must have made next to nothing in sales, yet they still managed to get a release on a major label ABC, involving heavyweights like the Poindexters, George Kerr and Richard Tee. At the same time Kerr and Tee were also working with Troy Keyes, Florence Ballard at ABC, The O'Jays at Bell and Timothy Wilson at Buddah. Jimmy Norman also turns up as writer on one of the Troy Keyes songs. I better stop there as this could get way off topic otherwise.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Kegsy said:

So now we have a Bill Schwartau, a Bob Schwartz and a Bob Schwaid all supposedly involved in a small NYC record label. Hmmm no wonder it's not easy to trace people, it makes you wonder if some of them ever existed at all.

I know you're interested in Mary Cantine but, this ad from Cashbox (1962) shows Bill Schwartau and

Bob Schwaid did exist - 

B & B.jpg

Social source share

8 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Cheers Chalky, the topic is really about Marty Cantine, who he was and how he could attract some of the talent he did, to work on relatively unknown artists/labels etc. Lets face it Samar didn't break any pots in terms of sales. 

The Icemen for example, their 2 Samar releases and the Ole 9 one must have made next to nothing in sales, yet they still managed to get a release on a major label ABC, involving heavyweights like the Poindexters, George Kerr and Richard Tee. At the same time Kerr and Tee were also working with Troy Keyes, Florence Ballard at ABC, The O'Jays at Bell and Timothy Wilson at Buddah. Jimmy Norman also turns up as writer on one of the Troy Keyes songs. I better stop there as this could get way off topic otherwise.

The Tra-San Production on the Icemen is George Kerr and named after his daughters apparently.  As you say some heavyweights involved in the writing & production.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

The Tra-San Production on the Icemen is George Kerr and named after his daughters apparently.  As you say some heavyweights involved in the writing & production.

Tracy and Sandy, used on all The Linda Jones Loma / Warner stuff

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

The thing is the Icemen's Samar stuff was done with Johnny Brantley, George Kerr (Tra San) wasn't involved until Ole 9, the other ole 9 release tells us nothing. The ABC release was Bay Wes another George Kerr associated company, possibly in collaboration with Richard Tee or the Poindexters or even Johnny Brantley who used the alias Wesley occasionally (Gate Wesley Band). So once again we're back with the Samar/Marti Cantine connection.

As I have been revisiting this project another theme is also developing. Maybe Jimmy Norman is the key to the Samar roster of talent, he definitely had the connections..  His earlier career was at Good Sound and Little Star where he was heavily involved with the O'Jays. His Samar releases followed two previous releases on Polo out of Hollywood, he moved to California as a kid. One of the Polo and one of the Good Sound recordings involved Leonard Jewel smith, almost all of his work prior to Samar involved H.B. Barnum. He worked with Jimi Hendrix and Lonnie Youngblood, maybe connected to him after he wrote the lyrics to Time Is On My Side for Irma Thomas, which was a hit for the Stones. Johnny Brantley was also involved with Hendrix and Youngblood.

Jimmy certainly knew some heavy hitters, so what the hell was he doing recording at a tiny backwater label like Samar ?, all his previous work seems to have been done in LA..

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

The thing is the Icemen's Samar stuff was done with Johnny Brantley, George Kerr (Tra San) wasn't involved until Ole 9, the other ole 9 release tells us nothing. The ABC release was Bay Wes another George Kerr associated company, possibly in collaboration with Richard Tee or the Poindexters or even Johnny Brantley who used the alias Wesley occasionally (Gate Wesley Band). So once again we're back with the Samar/Marti Cantine connection.

As I have been revisiting this project another theme is also developing. Maybe Jimmy Norman is the key to the Samar roster of talent, he definitely had the connections..  His earlier career was at Good Sound and Little Star where he was heavily involved with the O'Jays. His Samar releases followed two previous releases on Polo out of Hollywood, he moved to California as a kid. One of the Polo and one of the Good Sound recordings involved Leonard Jewel smith, almost all of his work prior to Samar involved H.B. Barnum. He worked with Jimi Hendrix and Lonnie Youngblood, maybe connected to him after he wrote the lyrics to Time Is On My Side for Irma Thomas, which was a hit for the Stones. Johnny Brantley was also involved with Hendrix and Youngblood.

Jimmy certainly knew some heavy hitters, so what the hell was he doing recording at a tiny backwater label like Samar ?, all his previous work seems to have been done in LA..

who was behind the Vest release?

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Totally off topic, H.B. Barnum's sister Billie was one of the Apollas.

Oh dear maybe not so off topic, much of the Apollas output was with Flomar music,  the publishing arm of Scepter/Wand. "Flo" was Florence Greenberg who owned Scepter/Wand, Florence Greenberg is from New Jersey so fits the story geographically, so who was the "mar", surely not our man Marty Cantine ?. Hendrix was said to have worked with the Isleys at Wand and T-Neck. If Flomar does involve our Marty then his influence in the soul music world takes on a whole new perspective, the list of people who published under the Flomar banner is humongous. 

Help, what have I started here 😀

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Oh dear maybe not so off topic, much of the Apollas output was with Flomar music,  the publishing arm of Scepter/Wand. "Flo" was Florence Greenberg who owned Scepter/Wand, Florence Greenberg is from New Jersey so fits the story geographically, so who was the "mar", surely not our man Marty Cantine ?. Hendrix was said to have worked with the Isleys at Wand and T-Neck. If Flomar does involve our Marty then his influence in the soul music world takes on a whole new perspective, the list of people who published under the Flomar banner is humongous. 

Help, what have I started here 😀

I think you can discount 'mar' of Flomar being anything to do with Marty Cantine. I think the 'mar' may have been Jo Armstead (involvement) arm-reversed to mar...but a bit of a wild ass guess on my part. However, Jo, Ed Silvers, Ashord & Simpson and Florence were the only stakeholders

Social source share

3 hours ago, Kegsy said:

You've lost me now mate. Who/what on Vest.

The Icemen had a release on Vest as well, Le's Play That Song/ You Got A Style Of Your Own - Vest

2 hours ago, Mach said:

Vest-had label chalky, the springers, every night and day?

No Vest.  Very rare.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I think you can discount 'mar' of Flomar being anything to do with Marty Cantine. I think the 'mar' may have been Jo Armstead (involvement) arm-reversed to mar...but a bit of a wild ass guess on my part. However, Jo, Ed Silvers, Ashord & Simpson and Florence were the only stakeholders

I seem to remember that Marty Cantine was connected with Eddie Drennon and I am sure he had a label "Marti"

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Flo Mar is Florence and either Scepter  Wand vice-president Marvin Schlacter or her daughter I believe.

That's a relief then, but what with the Tangeers/Bollon/Plato/Scepter connection as well, you can see how easy a jump it is to Marty.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The Icemen had a release on Vest as well, Le's Play That Song/ You Got A Style Of Your Own - Vest

No Vest.  Very rare.

There was a want on here for it, must admit I didn't know anything about it, will message sirshambling, if he still comes on here, maybe he can help.

Social source share

Vest was owned by Danny Robinson brother of Bobby and mainly had R & B releases like Wilbert Harrison, B "Buster" Brown and Charles Walker. The label started around 1958 and continued to the middle of the 60s. The Icemen 45 (which I still haven't found) was number 8008 and was among the last releases on Vest - 1965 or possible 1966.

Hope this helps a little bit. John.

Social source share

On 07/05/2020 at 21:20, The Yank said:

There's not much to go on with Marty but I did find these 2 items in Cashbox.

The Y-R-S ad is from 1968, the Samar info from February, 1966 . 

yrs.jpg

Sam.jpg

Just re-read this, the Samar bit contains another "clue", Lennie Lewis, owned the LLP label which released the only 2 other recordings that Gloria Parker did, they both included Bert Decoteaux and Clyde Otis in the credits.

Social source share

20 minutes ago, sirshambling said:

Vest was owned by Danny Robinson brother of Bobby and mainly had R & B releases like Wilbert Harrison, B "Buster" Brown and Charles Walker. The label started around 1958 and continued to the middle of the 60s. The Icemen 45 (which I still haven't found) was number 8008 and was among the last releases on Vest - 1965 or possible 1966.

I assume then that the label design changed (and numbering)

https://www.discogs.com/label/596823-Vest-Records-2

https://www.discogs.com/label/188195-Vest

Social source share

From Record World

Lenny Lewis, National Sales Manager for 20th Century Fox Records, is excited about the great distributor cooperation on initial sales and interest on Mary Wells' "Stop Takin' Me For Granted" b/'w "Ain't It The Truth," 

Lenny Lewis. formerly National Sales Manager at 20th Century Fox Records, has formed his own label, LLP Records (for Lenny Lewis Productions), located at 345 West 58th St. 
LLP Records, N. Y

So Lenny Lewis (LLP) was well established in the industry before he got involved with Samar.

Far be it from me to suggest Mary Wells might have moonlighted as Madeline Wilson, a record that sits in a very similar groove to some of Mary's 20th Cent. stuff.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

5 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Just re-read this, the Samar bit contains another "clue", Lennie Lewis, owned the LLP label which released the only 2 other recordings that Gloria Parker did, they both included Bert Decoteaux and Clyde Otis in the credits.

Stuart Cosgrove mentions Samar in his book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x-tmDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT51&lpg=PT51&dq=samar+recording+rochester&source=bl&ots=PsdQ57TTd7&sig=ACfU3U0LC7hG-z_TsvlULsLY8GsMo6t2Iw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_4tzC26npAhWAShUIHYD_DBAQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=samar recording rochester&f=false

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Kenb said:

is it that Lenny Lewis...( as opposed to Lennie Lewis) i'm not so sure?

I think they are the same person, the spelling was interchangeable in the articles i found plus Len Lewis.

Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 12:04, sirshambling said:

On 10/05/2020 at 12:46, Chalky said:

The Icemen on Vest is a red label, trying to find a scan which I know I used to have.

Hmmmm. I found this which is numbered 8007, and throws everything all over the place.

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Davis-The-Rhythm-Rockers-Going-To-New-Orleans/release/8796452

https://www.discogs.com/label/1040574-Vest-3

and this which shows 8007 as an original Vest release, but no 8008. I've e-mailed them.

https://wdd.mbnet.fi/robinson.htm

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Hmmmm. I found this which is numbered 8007, and throws everything all over the place.

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Davis-The-Rhythm-Rockers-Going-To-New-Orleans/release/8796452

https://www.discogs.com/label/1040574-Vest-3

and this which shows 8007 as an original Vest release, but no 8008. I've e-mailed them.

https://wdd.mbnet.fi/robinson.htm

The top one is from a well known bootlegger (on Discogs) that has been mentioned before and I doubt you will get a straight answer but here's hoping 😇

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The top one is from a well known bootlegger (on Discogs) that has been mentioned before and I doubt you will get a straight answer but here's hoping 😇

Sorry maybe not clear, I emailed the Wang Dang Doodle people not the Vest (bootleg) ones.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

@Kegsy -wrote

The people involved with the Samar recordings are like a, small selection, who’s who of the very best writers/producers/arrangers that ever entered a recording studio and some went on to be huge names in the music business. Poindexters, Richard Tee, Eddie Singleton, Bert Decoteaux, Bert Keyes, Clyde Otis. Now we all know the amount of recordings made by those guys is colossal, but how about the lesser known names.

kenb reply - Clyde Otis owned Argon and Eden Music. Argon Productions signed an independent production pact with Samar Records. 1966.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Kenb said:

kenb reply - Clyde Otis owned Argon and Eden Music. Argon Productions signed an independent production pact with Samar Records. 1966.

Hi Ken

Thanks for that, I noticed one of your previous topics featured the book the Baltimore Sound, have you got the book ?, if so any references to Marty Cantine ?.

Argon also signed a similar deal with scepter/wand about the same time.

Social source share

45 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Hi Ken

Thanks for that, I noticed one of your previous topics featured the book the Baltimore Sound, have you got the book ?, if so any references to Marty Cantine ?.

I have the book mate, can check at weekend if someone else doesn’t help

Social source share

50 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Hi Ken

There's an old thread here mentions him

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

Hi Ken

Hi Kegsy

yes i have the book. and i did check it when the topic first arose.

there are 2 mentions. a few lines on each.

one in relation to 'doin the crackerjack'(Marti 403)-the group 'Changes' 1974.

and one in relation to group 'Dudes & Dolls' as producer (Marti 401) released at Blue Seas Inc.

(not in the book...but i think Blue Seas had something to do with Burt Bacharac/Hal David).

BTW: unsurprising Marty is Martin.

One other thing i can tell you;

Marty had two other sides i've not seen mentioned anywhere ( that i can remember anyway).

1961: 'We Were Just Friends' & 'Sarah'. I guess to be released...but never was?

always assumed 'Sarah' was something of a nod to Sarah Cantine (daughter?)

Edited by Kenb
extra, extra, info
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!