Connections with a mystery ending.

• Replies 57
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There's an old thread here mentions him

Thanks for that, there's another clue in there. Frankie & Spindles Funny 'A' 45 Have You Seen Her/Maybe Tomorrow has Swedesboro Music as the writers on Maybe Tomorrow. Swedesboro Music was Eddie Drennon and Marty Cantine working together. So our Marty now has another connection to Frankie & the Spindles. Eddie Drennon arranged their 1st (?) Roc-ker 45 No. RI 3314, it was also recorded at Accent Sound in Baltimore.

Thanks also to Ken B.

Social source share

Update.

I fired a couple e-mails off a week ago to possible sources, but have not had replies so another dead end.

I have sent another today to someone I believe could explain things, let's hope for a reply this time.

Social source share

@Kegsy

you said "Oddly enough the co owner of Samar records was called Bob Schwaid who also has some interesting musical connections.  https://www.discogs.com/artist/743878-Bob-Schwaid

@Kenb - 1. I'm unconvinced Bob Schwaid was the (or a) owner of Samar. ( i don't know who put it up on Discogs, but i am happy to be told differently).

Schwaid was personal manager (The Independents, co-owner of WWAM Management), a music publisher ( MCA-Rollers with Reggie Lavong), record plugger, retailer and distie, and concert promoter ( @ Monmouth Arts Center NJ (now Count Basie Theater)...Jackie Wilson, Tommy James and the Shondells  etc), record producer (Warner Brothers: he took Jackie Lomax of The Undertakers from Wallasey UK and did 'Home Is In My Head') and prexy of Thruppence ltd.

Nowhere have i seen Bob as a Label owner.

@Kegsy

you said "The thing is the Icemen's Samar stuff was done with Johnny Brantley, George Kerr (Tra San) wasn't involved until Ole 9, the other ole 9 release tells us nothing"

@Kenb-2. I'm told by a contact in the US that both Tri-San Productions (not Tri-San Records Label) and Marti Records were co-owned by Fred 'Rockin Robin' Robinson. So i assume George Kerr was the other co-owner. Fred Robinson was a serial 'moonlighter'.( e.g.Roc-Ker records)

@Kenb- 3. Have you considered Lenny Lewis as being the son of Stan Lewis, Su-Ma, Paula, etc), and not Lenny Lewis

Don't give up...follow the crumbs  🧐

Edited by Kenb
Roc-Ker add
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Kenb said:

@Kegsy

you said "Oddly enough the co owner of Samar records was called Bob Schwaid who also has some interesting musical connections.  https://www.discogs.com/artist/743878-Bob-Schwaid

@Kenb - 1. I'm unconvinced Bob Schwaid was the (or a) owner of Samar. ( i don't know who put it up on Discogs, but i am happy to be told differently).

Schwaid was personal manager (The Independents, co-owner of WWAM Management), a music publisher ( MCA-Rollers with Reggie Lavong), record plugger, retailer and distie, and concert promoter ( @ Monmouth Arts Center NJ (now Count Basie Theater)...Jackie Wilson, Tommy James and the Shondells  etc), record producer (Warner Brothers: he took Jackie Lomax of The Undertakers from Wallasey UK and did 'Home Is In My Head') and prexy of Thruppence ltd.

Nowhere have i seen Bob as a Label owner.

@Kegsy

you said "The thing is the Icemen's Samar stuff was done with Johnny Brantley, George Kerr (Tra San) wasn't involved until Ole 9, the other ole 9 release tells us nothing"

@Kenb-2. I'm told by a contact in the US that both Tri-San Productions (not Tri-San Records Label) and Marti Records were co-owned by Fred 'Rockin Robin' Robinson. So i assume George Kerr was the other co-owner. Fred Robinson was a serial 'moonlighter'.( e.g.Roc-Ker records)

@Kenb- 3. Have you considered Lenny Lewis as being the son of Stan Lewis, Su-Ma, Paula, etc), and not Lenny Lewis

Don't give up...follow the crumbs  🧐

Sadly (you may already know) Fred died in 1996 aged 60 and there are a couple of articles in Baltimore papers that do not give access in Europe (Google them by his name Fred 'Rockin Robin' Robinson Baltimore Sun and NY Times ) I just wondered if there was mention of any family members who may help

Nice article about Stan here

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KgkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=Stan+Lewis,+Su-Ma,+Paula&source=bl&ots=HMSJuM-ff4&sig=ACfU3U2YWr4-WRIALgrGS-42cm2Os-W2kA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTnIuSxdTpAhXHEcAKHSWfBuIQ6AEwAXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=Stan Lewis%2C Su-Ma%2C Paula&f=false

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Kenb said:

It involved Bob Scwhartau, here you go

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Record-World-IDX/IDX/60s/66/RW-1966-03-05-OCR-Page-0023.pdf#search="samar"

1 hour ago, Kenb said:

I was referring to George Kerr working on the ABC release not the ones on Samar.

52 minutes ago, Kenb said:

3. Have you considered Lenny Lewis as being the son of Stan Lewis, Su-Ma, Paula, etc), and not Lenny Lewis

I made the connection to Lenny Lewis because Gloria Parker recorded two records for him on LLP records

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

It involved Bob Scwhartau, here you go

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Record-World-IDX/IDX/60s/66/RW-1966-03-05-OCR-Page-0023.pdf#search="samar"

I was referring to George Kerr working on the ABC release not the ones on Samar.

I made the connection to Lenny Lewis because Gloria Parker recorded two records for him on LLP records

I must have been mistaken.

i could have sworn your post said Schwaid and then a discos link to Samar.

i’ll put more water with my whiskey.

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i could have sworn your post said Schwaid and then a discos link to Samar.

You're right I did, got the names mixed up as Schwaid also worked on the Madeline Wilson record, sorry about that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!