The Dells - Run for cover - labels

I have 2 copies of this, I with the blue Cadet and the other with the yellow label. Both vinyl details are the same as are the label numbers, what can someone tell me about this ? I'm assuming their release dates were different as GRT took over Chess Records in 1969 and originally this was a 1966 release. Answers on a postcard please 😄

R-4008655-1352149544-6862.jpeg.jpg

R-5236944-1456243444-3043.jpeg.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Place

stamp here

The blue Cadet is the original press, the other an

early 70's reissue.

Having a wonderful time, wish you were here ! 

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Wonder why/how it got re-released? What would have been the incentive? 

One thing I CAN tell you is that there was little or no marketing push by Chess on this record.  Unlike most of The Dells' mid-to-late Cadet releases which were national, or, at the very least, regional and local hits, with massive airplay by WLS and WVON, KGFJ, KHJ, and KRLA, KDIA and KYA, this one got almost no airplay on its initial run in 1966.  It may have been just a random casualty of Chess having too many big hits at JUST the time this one was first released.  Later, in 1969 or 1970, Chess may have been in-between in having effective releases for The Dells, so they re-released this one to see if it could get some action, as it would have been fresh and new to the public, almost all of whom had never heard it?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

One thing I CAN tell you is that there was little or no marketing push by Chess on this record.  Unlike most of The Dells' mid-to-late Cadet releases which were national, or, at the very least, regional and local hits, with massive airplay by WLS and WVON, KGFJ, KHJ, and KRLA, KDIA and KYA, this one got almost no airplay on its initial run in 1966.  It may have been just a random casualty of Chess having too many big hits at JUST the time this one was first released.  Later, in 1969 or 1970, Chess may have been in-between in having effective releases for The Dells, so they re-released this one to see if it could get some action, as it would have been fresh and new to the public, almost all of whom had never heard it?

I read an article about this records with the Dells, they didn't like it, they said it sounded too much like a Four Tops tune !

Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

Tony Clarke - Landslide also got sort of re released, same vinyl details but the later one in stereo !!

Social source share

Well, you would expect it to get a fair amount of play in Chicago.  The reason I, myself, didn't hear it in on WVON and WLS in January, 1967, was because I was attending university in L.A., where it got virtually no airplay, and was only in Chicagoland during Christmas Vacation, leaving to return to L.A. in late December, ostensibly before it started to get regular play on WVON.  I returned in Spring Break (late March, or early April), well after its run had finished.  Whether or not it sold decently in Chicago, during my many years of making record searching trips across USA and looking through hundreds of thousands of 45s, it was very rare compared with other Dells' releases.  So, I doubt that it sold well or charted much nationally.  I could see Chess re-releasing it to see if it would sell, similar to Motown's releasing "Jimmy Mack" by Martha and The Vandellas 2.5 years after it was recorded.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Tony Clarke - Landslide also got sort of re released, same vinyl details but the later one in stereo !!

Yes, GRT/Chess was hurting badly for new hits by 1970-72, so they re-issued several cuts by known artists, some of whom were no longer contracted to their label.

Social source share

Popsike has it that since 2005 only 10 copies of the orange label version have been sold on ebay compared to hundreds of the blue. Looks like a very limited (local?) pressing unless no one wants to buy it for more than $20.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!