Betty Wright RIP

yep very sad news 

RIP

news link here

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020/05/betty-wright-dies/

Betty Wright, the soul and R&B icon, has died at the age of 66.

Wright passed away on the morning of May 10, the singer’s niece confirmed to Heavy. Wright’s cause of death has not been made public. On her official profile on Universal Music’s website, it’s written that Wright “influenced a generation of female singer-songwriters and continues to influence the world of hip hop.”

Wright’s death comes a week after singer Chaka Khan had asked fans to pray for the Florida legend’s health. Khan tweeted, “Calling all my #PrayWarriors | My beloved sister, Betty Wright @MsBettyWright, is now in need of all your prays. “Que Sera, Sera | Whatever Will Be, Will Be.” In Jesus Name We Pray for Sister Betty. All My Love Chaka.”

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I can't believe this. Betty Wright - performer, writer, producer, label owner an artist who was able to span several black music genres. This was from a few years ago, Betty Wright: The Movie

Edited by Soulfusion
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Wow.. Both shocked and saddened by this news..

From her break into the recording business via Johnny Pearsal's record shop in Miami as a pre-teen, all the way through the decades, she has been such an important influence in other artists careers.. releasing oodles of soulful ditties herself over the past 50 odd years, and will be dearly, missed.. RIP Betty.. and thank you for the memories..

Edited by Ficklefingers
  • Up vote 2
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

What a sad weekend this has been,first  we lose Little Richard and now Betty; few artists have made such a glorious and assured debut at 13 years old (!) as Betty did with 'Paralysed' on Deep City in 67' ,following it with the classic 'Girls Can't Do What The Guys Do' (covered by Dusty) and 'Clean Up Woman' - and 1972's 'I Love The Way You Love' is one of the great Soul LP's of the 70's

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

A reminder of the Talented Lady "Betty Wright" Singing Live!!!! 

No idea what year this was, but she was still top notch live.  When I see clips like this I wonder how much they would have benefited if we had programmes like this on mainstream TV in the UK when they were at their peak.  Or am I just talking through soul tinted glasses?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

SOULMAN58 SAID

No idea what year this was, but she was still top notch live.  When I see clips like this I wonder how much they would have benefited if we had programmes like this on mainstream TV in the UK when they were at their peak.  Or am I just talking through soul tinted glasses?

This was 2012 i believe and song "In The Middle of The Game (Don't Change The Play)" was from her 2011 CD "Betty Wright and The Roots-The Movie"

Came out as a Single Too on Outta Sight Records 😀 Rick

Edited by Rick Scott
more info
  • Up vote 1
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

It has been a very sad few weeks for lovers of quality music. A few weeks ago we lost Bill Withers and on Sunday Betty Wright.

Bill Withers' Just As I Am and Betty's I Love The Way You Love were two of the first albums I bought as a 16 year old back in the summer of 1972 and both artists continued to brighten my life for many years. I get used to hear of the loss of the artists I have loved from my youth as they would be from the generation above me. With Betty, it is different - she is my generation, only two years older than me.

As a live artist, she was wonderful. My wife and I got to see her on her UK Tour in 87 or 88 in Bradford. With the support acts, it was a very long night (we had young kids to get back for) and she doesn't short change you. Luckily a video was released of the Hammersmith performance so the memory lives on.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Gutted at this, been digging more into her music in recent years - she was so young when she did her classic singles and albums in seventies and into eighties.  More you dig, there's so much quality. RIP to all the Soul artists and people around them passing away at present.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A quick whizz through the decades, from the 70s, 80s, 90s to 00s, to pay tribute to the late, great Betty Wright who sadly passed away this week. This is just the tip of the iceberg of such a great career with so much material to choose from over such a great length of time. People forget she wrote a lot of her great songs too and you can certainly tell her style if you listen to enough of her songs.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Was lucky enough to see her at Manchester's "Band ON The Wall' a few years back, awesome, her daughters (I think) were on backing vocals, her  brother on bass, real badass bass guy, been with her for years.What a show.

Amazing output of great albums, it all started for me when Levine was playing 'Where Is The Love' , from the album all those years ago.

RIP Betty.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!