Kegsy

Internet connection lately

Is anyone else having trouble with their internet connection ?.

Mine is slow, keeps giving me the "your connection was interrupted" message or just drops out all together. I'm with Sky (BT).

Is it to do with the Lock Down ?.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

ours keeps buffering on you tube soul vids and bbc iplayer on smart tv. never had it before just assumed everyone using internet

switched of modem for 2 mins to reset made a difference for a while

Edited by Smudger

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I've a theory it must be everyone at home at present Kegsy. Both wife & I are working from home and despite paying a small fortune for a fibre line from Virgin I've had severe connection issues occasionally.

Unfortunately the one thing none of these internet companies tend to like you to know is the 'contention ratio' i.e. the number of people in your area sharing the bandwidth available.

All companies make a big deal about their theoretical top speed but hide the fact you'll probably never see it even if the connection is reliable.

Glad you're still here Btw.

Edited by Timbo58

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Yes this is to do with the lock-down, it's not just your own connection and its contention with other users on the same network connection point, it's the upstream backhaul networks themselves that are carrying a lot of load that can cause issues at present.  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I should think the ISPs are doing a lot of 'throttling' at the moment

The easiest way to determine if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is throttling your internet connection is to run a speed test and then run the speed test again using a virtual private network (VPN). If your connection is significantly faster with the VPN, your ISP is likely throttling your service

it's worth just doing a speed test, to see if your getting the speed you're expecting to get & paying for. Remember there's a big difference between paying for an actual speed connection & an 'up to' one

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, Simon T said:

and then run the speed test again using a virtual private network (VPN).

How ?, pray tell.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A VPN 'disguises' your IP address and fools your ISP into thinking you're are not you and typically, you are in another location / country. At the moment you're seen as "Kegsy" and if they think you're using too much traffic, they can 'throttle' your connection. The VPN makes it look like you're say, a Messieur Le Keg in France who's not be subjected to throttling. Someone i know in the USA 'pretends' he's actually located in the UK so he can watch the BBC iPLAYER.

i'M  now on 4 MB a second, but it increases significantly after midnight, your ISP might have a blanket policy like this too. It's not illegal for your ISP to do this, they can just say you're abusing their 'fair usage' policy

https://www.betternet.co/

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
25 minutes ago, Simon T said:

A VPN 'disguises' your IP address and fools your ISP into thinking you're are not you and typically, you are in another location / country. At the moment you're seen as "Kegsy" and if they think you're using too much traffic, they can 'throttle' your connection. The VPN makes it look like you're say, a Messieur Le Keg in France who's not be subjected to throttling. Someone i know in the USA 'pretends' he's actually located in the UK so he can watch the BBC iPLAYER.

i'M  now on 4 MB a second, but it increases significantly after midnight, your ISP might have a blanket policy like this too. It's not illegal for your ISP to do this, they can just say you're abusing their 'fair usage' policy

https://www.betternet.co/

Wonder if this is why I've rec'd two emails in the last three days from Amazon headed "AMAZON SECURITY ALERT: Sign-In detected" - "If this was you, you can disregard this message."

Think I've received these before when abroad on holiday.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

If you were to give me your username & password i could probably get in, however my IP address would be different and be you'd be queried; ''a new device has just logged in - was it you?'' You confirm with a  YES (but i'm logging in from  in St Tropez, in actuality) Reply NO and they'd most probably boot me off

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
21 minutes ago, Simon T said:

If you were to give me your username & password i could probably get in, however my IP address would be different and be you'd be queried; ''a new device has just logged in - was it you?'' You confirm with a  YES (but i'm logging in from  in St Tropez, in actuality) Reply NO and they'd most probably boot me off

Thanks for reply👍

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Service definitely worse, but probably to be expected.  I agree turning off your connection then restarting does improve things for a while, I have started doing this every morning.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Service definitely worse, but probably to be expected.  I agree turning off your connection then restarting does improve things for a while, I have started doing this every morning.

i do this too, but remember to leave it off for a minute or so to allow the capacitors inside (like little batteries) to drain. Switch off the power supply too, which will also retain some power for a while & keep the capacitors charged for a little while.  You can always check the modem's firmware and update if you want. google the make and it's login IP - usually 192.68.number.number (Belkin's is 192.68.2.1)  Stick it in you browser's address bar i.e. where usually type www.etc etc.com etc. don't forget to back the firmware, settings etc before updating!

Even if you have fibre optics they'll be a bottleneck where a bit of metal/cooper wire is involved. Avoid telephone wire extensions like the plague, but if you have to, keep it as short & good quality as possible. Ideally plug the modem into the telephone outlet socket directly.

Re wifi connecting, put the modem somewhere as high and central as possible, away from walls and solid objects. Keep wifi connected devices to a minimum. Avoid using your microwave oven.

Edited by Simon T

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Never had a problem with virgin media speeds this is what i get day in and day out for less than a £1 a day

Screenshot_2020-05-14 My Broadband Speed – Easy to use speed checker.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Our Internet is dropping out every so often then returning. 

Phoned BT a few times and day after day got recorded message saying it is a known problem in our postcode and should be fixed in '2 hours'. 

After a week of this (we are both homeworking and It reliant) I got through to a human. They made enquiries and found subcontractors are doing infrastructure work, Inc digging up roads and the problem may persist for 6 weeks! 

Most of the time it's fine and speed is good, just dropping out. 

Screenshot_20200514-075015_Speed Checker.jpg

Edited by Fish Fingers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Got No Internet Connection So
    Freebasing by Pete S on Thu 18 Apr 2013
    • 11 / 961
    • MrC on 22 Apr 2013
  2. James Lately On Temple
    Record Sales by Marc Forrest on Wed 16 Mar 2005
    • 2 / 776
    • chalky on 16 Mar 2005
  3. Any Info On James Lately
    All About The Soul by staceys dad on Sat 20 Apr 2013
    • 26 / 1648
    • Dysonsoul on 29 Apr 2013
  4. Bought Anything Good Lately
    Look At Your Box by Winsford Soul on Mon 09 Jan 2006
    • 44 / 2128
    • MAK on 04 Feb 2006
  5. James Lately Ended
    Record Sales by dobber on Mon 12 May 2014
    • 4 / 1525
    • geoffsoul2 on 15 May 2014

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.