Timillustrator

Not exactly soul music

I've been working alone and listening to Spotify all day long. I'd used it before but not to this extent (10 hours a day!) and I do like bit of variety so been listening to soul, blues, R&B, a bit of rap, modern jazz, hardcore and a lot of 60's stuff I'd never really listened to that much before. 

Made a few "discoveries" - Jack Bruce and Chris Farlowe who, apart from the hits, I'd never really listened to previously and a few sadly that I realise I don't like much - Nick Drake, John Cale.

So to get to the point! Specifically relating to Spotify what would you recommend that is underplayed/obscure but worth listening to? 

Any genre really but not well known stuff. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I don't use Spotify but your mention of Jack Bruce brought back memories of when I dug deep into the British blues boom of the 60s, largely overseen by people like Mike Vernon and John Mayall, whose albums introduced the world to Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor, among others. Prior to that Clapton was in the Yardbirds, and was replaced by Jeff Beck, who got replaced by Jimmy Page. Beck teamed up with Rod Stewart, who had been helped along by Long John Baldry (Stewart writes about him very affectionately in his very enjoyable autobiography btw).

As well as outfits like Graham Bond Organisation and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, there was a lot of work recorded with visiting artists like Champion Jack Dupree and Otis Spann. In the early 70s Chess Records made a point of sending over to London the likes of Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry, who teamed up with the likes of Clapton, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman.

Both Clapton and George Harrison recorded with Delaney and Bonnie, whose live album (1970ish) is worth a listen.

Hmmm, will have to do some digging ... :g:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Rest of my family love Loyle Carner - have to admit I am beginning to enjoy it - a talented guy - revenge for me trying to brainwash them for all those years!!

Adam

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
23 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

I don't use Spotify but your mention of Jack Bruce brought back memories of when I dug deep into the British blues boom of the 60s, largely overseen by people like Mike Vernon and John Mayall, whose albums introduced the world to Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor, among others. Prior to that Clapton was in the Yardbirds, and was replaced by Jeff Beck, who got replaced by Jimmy Page. Beck teamed up with Rod Stewart, who had been helped along by Long John Baldry (Stewart writes about him very affectionately in his very enjoyable autobiography btw).

As well as outfits like Graham Bond Organisation and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, there was a lot of work recorded with visiting artists like Champion Jack Dupree and Otis Spann. In the early 70s Chess Records made a point of sending over to London the likes of Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry, who teamed up with the likes of Clapton, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman.

Both Clapton and George Harrison recorded with Delaney and Bonnie, whose live album (1970ish) is worth a listen.

Hmmm, will have to do some digging ... :g:

Thank you - listening to Delaney and Bonnie right now. That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of; was aware of them but never properly listened. In my mind I'd written them off as a hippy/country type thing but it's great so far. Gonna give Chess a listen later - got loads of 50's/early 60's LP's but again I'd written of their 70's stuff in my mind.

Thank you!

Tim

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

There's one called "on Tour With Eric Clapton" no date given but 52 tracks! That'll occupy me for a good few hours.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
22 hours ago, Douglaschip said:

Rest of my family love Loyle Carner - have to admit I am beginning to enjoy it - a talented guy - revenge for me trying to brainwash them for all those years!!

Adam

Thank you, there's loads of him on there, I've put it on my playlist for this week.

Tim

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
14 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

There's one called "on Tour With Eric Clapton" no date given but 52 tracks! That'll occupy me for a good few hours.

The original vinyl album of that must be much abbreviated cos it certainly didn't have 52 tracks! Very enjoyable stuff though, and interesting that Clapton chose to go down that path after Cream split up. The solo LP from 1970 simply titled "Eric Clapton" features people like Leon Russell and Delaney & Bonnie - might be worth checking out. Must have been quite a big budget affair for its time, and probably a big disappointment for Cream fans. Jack Bruce did a few jazzy solo LPs before joining West, Bruce and Laing for a few Cream-type recordings before going back to the jazzier side.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

The original vinyl album of that must be much abbreviated cos it certainly didn't have 52 tracks! Very enjoyable stuff though, and interesting that Clapton chose to go down that path after Cream split up. The solo LP from 1970 simply titled "Eric Clapton" features people like Leon Russell and Delaney & Bonnie - might be worth checking out. Must have been quite a big budget affair for its time, and probably a big disappointment for Cream fans. Jack Bruce did a few jazzy solo LPs before joining West, Bruce and Laing for a few Cream-type recordings before going back to the jazzier side.

The original is on there and 10 tracks long, this one has multiple gigs - Royal Albert Hall, Colton Hall, Fairfield Hall. I remember reading about the tour years ago, wasn't it when Clapton was getting clean of heroin or something as well?  I'll give that EC album a listen as well, I'd written him off (mainly because of Rock Against Racism!) but was a Yardbrids/Mayall/Cram fan. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
21 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

It got a physical release in 2017 on a 4-cd set.

This might be a little more left field but I think it was through Delaney and Bonnie that Clapton got involved with the Allman Brothers - Duane Allman was an original member of Clapton's Derek and the Dominos and had also appeared in recording sessions for Wilson Pickett, Aretha, King Curtis and ... uh ... Lulu. His tragic death in 1971 was supposed to have affected Clapton very badly.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 minute ago, Timillustrator said:

The original is on there and 10 tracks long, this one has multiple gigs - Royal Albert Hall, Colton Hall, Fairfield Hall. I remember reading about the tour years ago, wasn't it when Clapton was getting clean of heroin or something as well?  I'll give that EC album a listen as well, I'd written him off (mainly because of Rock Against Racism!) but was a Yardbrids/Mayall/Cram fan. 

Clapton's getting off the heroin concert was recorded as Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert. It was organised by Pete Townsend and features various names of the UK 60s blues boom including Ronnie Wood and Steve Winwood. It's years since I heard it but compared to the live Derek and the Dominos album recorded only 2 years before I'd say he's in pretty bad shape. By 1975 and "E.C. was here" he was functioning much better, having switched from heroin to booze.

Agree re rock against racism - amazing how someone with his pedigree could spout that kind of garbage. Maybe the alcohol talking ...

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 13/05/2020 at 11:41, Timillustrator said:

I've been working alone and listening to Spotify all day long. I'd used it before but not to this extent (10 hours a day!) and I do like bit of variety so been listening to soul, blues, R&B, a bit of rap, modern jazz, hardcore and a lot of 60's stuff I'd never really listened to that much before. 

Made a few "discoveries" - Jack Bruce and Chris Farlowe who, apart from the hits, I'd never really listened to previously and a few sadly that I realise I don't like much - Nick Drake, John Cale.

So to get to the point! Specifically relating to Spotify what would you recommend that is underplayed/obscure but worth listening to? 

Any genre really but not well known stuff. 

A lot of Jazz is very obscure. The classical 50s/60s period produced so much outstanding music. Blue Note and Prestige put out so much high quality material. I like keyboardists so the pianist Bill Evans is a bit of a favourite. Jimmy Smith is THE jazz organist, though there are a few others worth checking out. 

I never realised until a few years ago just how good a guitarist George Benson is. Forget the late 70s/80s pop stuff. He really can play and his collaborations with Jack McDuff are terrific. Grant Green and Kenny Burrell are top class too.

There were a number of great Gospel vocal quartets but the Swan Silvertones are pretty magical.  Kim Burrell is a very fine contemporary singer.

Among current artists Tedeschi Trucks Band are excellent. Teresa James and Janiva Magness are in a similar vein. Terrie Odabi is a big voiced Blues singer, much like Shemekia Copeland. Eric Bibb handles the acoustic blues very tastefully. Ruthie Foster is hard to categorise but she is one big talent. Lizz Wright is all class.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
42 minutes ago, Westender said:

A lot of Jazz is very obscure. The classical 50s/60s period produced so much outstanding music. Blue Note and Prestige put out so much high quality material. I like keyboardists so the pianist Bill Evans is a bit of a favourite. Jimmy Smith is THE jazz organist, though there are a few others worth checking out. 

I never realised until a few years ago just how good a guitarist George Benson is. Forget the late 70s/80s pop stuff. He really can play and his collaborations with Jack McDuff are terrific. Grant Green and Kenny Burrell are top class too.

There were a number of great Gospel vocal quartets but the Swan Silvertones are pretty magical.  Kim Burrell is a very fine contemporary singer.

Among current artists Tedeschi Trucks Band are excellent. Teresa James and Janiva Magness are in a similar vein. Terrie Odabi is a big voiced Blues singer, much like Shemekia Copeland. Eric Bibb handles the acoustic blues very tastefully. Ruthie Foster is hard to categorise but she is one big talent. Lizz Wright is all class.

Wow, thank you, a load more to add to my list.

My taste was mostly avant-garde/free jazz, Impulse (although that covers a wide spectrum) and the 50's, 60's greats - Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Mose Allison, Jimmy Guiffre, Chico Hamilton, MJQ. 

I do like a bit of jazz guitar too only ever really listened to Wes Montgomery to any great extent.

I''ll check all those out though, brilliant!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Spent the morning on Delanie and Bonnie (thanks Mickey Finn) and now onto Chris Farlowe again. Got some Bose noise cancelling headphones and listening on an iMac; I'm no audiophile but the sound is outstanding. 

Gonna give some of the others a try tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Timillustrator said:

Wow, thank you, a load more to add to my list.

My taste was mostly avant-garde/free jazz, Impulse (although that covers a wide spectrum) and the 50's, 60's greats - Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Mose Allison, Jimmy Guiffre, Chico Hamilton, MJQ. 

I do like a bit of jazz guitar too only ever really listened to Wes Montgomery to any great extent.

I''ll check all those out though, brilliant!

Wes is great. A few others that you might like, Melvin Sparks, Boogaloo Joe Jones, Billy Butler, Jimmy Ponder and Joe Pass.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Grant Green, O'Donel Levy and early George Benson also worth a listen.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
9 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

It got a physical release in 2017 on a 4-cd set.

This might be a little more left field but I think it was through Delaney and Bonnie that Clapton got involved with the Allman Brothers - Duane Allman was an original member of Clapton's Derek and the Dominos and had also appeared in recording sessions for Wilson Pickett, Aretha, King Curtis and ... uh ... Lulu. His tragic death in 1971 was supposed to have affected Clapton very badly.

And of course it's Duane Allman's lead and slide guitar that feature so prominently on "Layla" He was an amazing inventive player and was only 24 when he died.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Try Robbie Robertson. He was, along with Levon Helm, one of the members of The Band back in the late sixties early seventies. Started off as the backing musicians for Ronnie Hawkins. When The Band split, he made a self titled solo album which I still greatly enjoy to this day. A very talented singer/songwriter, and not too bad a guitarist either. Hit YouTube as well, for The Bands star studded farewell gig in SF. Lost of well known faces on stage with them, including Ronnie Hawkins, the Staples Singers, Neil Diamond, Ringo Starr, and many others.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Joey said:

Try Robbie Robertson. He was, along with Levon Helm, one of the members of The Band back in the late sixties early seventies. Started off as the backing musicians for Ronnie Hawkins. When The Band split, he made a self titled solo album which I still greatly enjoy to this day. A very talented singer/songwriter, and not too bad a guitarist either. Hit YouTube as well, for The Bands star studded farewell gig in SF. Lost of well known faces on stage with them, including Ronnie Hawkins, the Staples Singers, Neil Diamond, Ringo Starr, and many others.

“The last waltz” directed by Martin Scorsese. The eponymously title “The Band” is one of my favourite albums

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
36 minutes ago, Jaco said:

“The last waltz” directed by Martin Scorsese. The eponymously title “The Band” is one of my favourite albums

Been many a year since I watched the film. May just give it another go this evening. The album BTW is indeed quite a masterpiece.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cracking film - also Muddy Waters and Dr John in there. Ronnie Hawkins is worth the price of admission alone.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Joey said:

Been many a year since I watched the film. May just give it another go this evening. The album BTW is indeed quite a masterpiece.

If you haven't already checked it out, the BBC 4 Classic Albums series features the making of "The Band"

Great stuff and has input from, what at that time were, the 4 remaining members of the group, although by then the acrimony between Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson is clear to see as Helm barely mentions Robertson by name, if at all, in his parts of the documentary. This followed Helm's autobiography - "This wheel's on fire : Levon Helm and the story of The Band" in which he accuse Robertson, amongst other things, of stealing song-writing credits.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 minutes ago, Jaco said:

If you haven't already checked it out, the BBC 4 Classic Albums series features the making of "The Band"

Great stuff and has input from, what at that time were, the 4 remaining members of the group, although by then the acrimony between Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson is clear to see as Helm barely mentions Robertson by name, if at all, in his parts of the documentary. This followed Helm's autobiography - "This wheel's on fire : Levon Helm and the story of The Band" in which he accuse Robertson, amongst other things, of stealing song-writing credits.

Not seen it, but will be absolutely sure to do so soon!👍

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 13/05/2020 at 13:36, Douglaschip said:

Adam

Thanks Adam, just spent an enjoyable morning listening to Loyle Carner; definitely not something I would have bothered with - I totally lost interest in hip hop in the early 90's when it all seemed (to me anyway) to be going down the gangsta rap, misogyny, materialism, drugs and violence route. 

But this is really growing on me, intelligent witty lyrics and what a groove! Cheers.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Yes pretty cool guy - and some good tunes - thanks to my son and wife for educating me on this guy!!

Enjoy.

Adam.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

@Timillustrator I’m surprised you’re not a fan of John Cale. Granted a lot of his material isn’t very accessible but one listen to the ‘Paris 1919’ LP and all is forgiven! Wonderful. Wilton Felder from the Crusaders on bass, Lowell George on guitar.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Soulstu said:

@Timillustrator I’m surprised you’re not a fan of John Cale. Granted a lot of his material isn’t very accessible but one listen to the ‘Paris 1919’ LP and all is forgiven! Wonderful. Wilton Felder from the Crusaders on bass, Lowell George on guitar.

I'll give that one another go, I just listened to everything of his on Spotify and nothing much stood out - I am a huge Velvet Underground fan, it was his viola and keyboards that made the VU for me as well and loved the stuff he produced too; Nico, The Stooges, Modern Lovers, Patti Smith but found his own stuff a bit boring and rather too traditional.

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Exactly How Did The Emi / Motown Deal Work
    All About the SOUL by MBarrett on Tue 16 Mar 2010
    • 15 / 1406
    • the yank on 03 Dec 2018
  2. Who Exactly Were August And Deneen
    Look At Your Box by Guest juve1973 on Tue 09 Nov 2010
    • 35 / 7387
    • Paulmc on 13 Dec 2018
  3. So Who Exactly Was John L. Brown?
    Look At Your Box by Derek Pearson on Tue 25 Jan 2011
    • 37 / 4536
    • Blackpoolsoul on 05 Dec 2018
  4. It's Not Square And It's Not A Peg
    Events Archive by coops on Mon 22 Nov 2010
    • 22 / 1038
    • sharon k on 11 Dec 2010
  5. Surley this is not wigan?
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Wed 10 Sep 2003
    • 8 / 1573
    • on 14 Sep 2003

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.