Christmas Overkill

John May

Having just checked the events page for the " festive " period, plus taking into account the large amount of flyers that I saw refering to xmas events left on tables at ponds forge last night, it seems that we are going into xmas overkill mode.

I remember last xmas the few venues that I did venture out to were pretty dead, In fact I can't think of an event in recent years that i've been to that has been well attended over the xmas period. Yet every year there seems to be huge amount of venues all competing for punters over those few day's between boxing day and new year.

So why so many venues, taking into account that traditionally attendances are low over the xmas period, why do promoters seem to feel the need to put these extra events on ?

JM

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Soul at the birchfield(a local event in widnes)

has been heaving the last few times its been on between christmas and the new year and has been one of the clubs best nights for me personally.

this year due to when crimbo falls its been put forward to next friday

i do like a nice blast of soul in the festive season though

So ill have to search out a do between crimbo and new year to blow away the christmas carols

Social source share

Cos they think the world revolves around them. thumbsup.gif

link

=========

I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement! We'd soon be moaning if there was NOTHING on over the xmas period. So we've got a lot of choice, so what? That's what we do, decide whether we'll go out and if so where..IMO it's nice to have choice.

New Years eve for example....I can choose between St Neots (local to me) Market Harborough, or Sherries. Have chosen Sherries, but if the promoters hadn't put the events on...I could have been sitting at home, grizzling. Just my opinion.

Thanks to the promoters for giving us, the paying punters some choice.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Having just checked the events page for the " festive " period, plus taking into account the large amount of flyers that I saw refering to xmas events left on tables at ponds forge last night, it seems that we are going into xmas overkill mode.

I remember last xmas the few venues that I did venture out to were pretty dead, In fact I can't think of an event in recent years that i've been to that has been well attended over the xmas period.  Yet every year there seems to be huge amount of venues all competing for punters over those few day's between boxing day and new year.

So why so many venues, taking into account that traditionally attendances are low over the xmas period, why do promoters seem to feel the need to put these extra events on ?

JM

link

Social source share

With more and more soul night s on the go i think onscene will soon be a twice weekly whats on guide....Every man and is dog now wanting to be a promoter,dj/ record dealer...More space on the dancefloor for us because most of them don't come near it..I like being a punter and just dancing the night away...Stay out of the dark corners,its full of chin strokers....Dance dance dance and less talking please...I have seen nights with more people in the record bar and talking area than in the main room supporting the night...

Social source share

With more and more soul night s on the go i think onscene will soon be a twice weekly whats on guide....Every man and is dog now wanting to be a promoter,dj/ record dealer...More space on the dancefloor for us because most of them don't come near it..I like being a punter and just dancing the night away...Stay out of the dark corners,its full of chin strokers....Dance dance dance and less talking please...I have seen nights with more people in the record bar and talking area than in the main room supporting the night...

link

Very good point Steve, even with my clubbed foot I love to tread the boards........quality soul music only of course.

Social source share

link

Promoters must love a full record bar it means a tenner entrance and no one complaining about Djs playlists.Its all a matter of personal taste I suppose.I love collecting but never venture into the record bar,I know I might be missing a bargain but I'm more worried I'll miss an all time favorite on the decks.Definitely Dance Dance Dance!!!!

Stamford thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Thanks to the promoters for giving us, the paying punters some choice.

Winnie:-)

link

I'm with Winston on that one- You need to have a choice. If its a new night and you ain't sure if its gonna be any good, just see if any of the DJs got a track record. I would only go for the music and the people.....don't wanna turn up somewhere and find them playing "the Snake"..... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Anyone going to be at Samanthas, Sheffield during the Xmas holiday?

I think the date is the 28th - must check the diary!

Shane

ps. Got my ticket for Sherries on NYE !!!

Social source share

I'm with Winston on that one- You need to have a choice. If its a new night and you ain't sure if its gonna be any good, just see if any of the DJs got a track record. I would only go for the music and the people.....don't wanna turn up somewhere and find them playing "the Snake"..... thumbsup.gif

link

I agree we need a choice, point i was making is why do we seem to have so many venues all competing against each other over the xmas period, when traditionally attendances are always poor.....for sure they will be a few venue's that will be well attended, however the vast majority will struggle, IMO it just doesn't add up, it smacks of putting on an event for the sake of then fingers crossed someone might turn up....Crazy smile.gif

Social source share

Have to admit I love having a big choice but can it last? Been to some fantastic venues where numbers have been down. But, have to be honest, I quite like it when it's not too packed ...surrounded by people you know who you don't have to make too much idle chit chat to and just DANCE DANCE DANCE! Not too much chin stroking and talking about 45s, as Little Stevie quite correctly observed in an earlier thread!!!

Social source share

my least favourite night of the year, can't stand all the kissing and slobbering 

Well said..

I'm not keen on all that either

NYE always a let down for me..

link

NYE 2000, I was in bed for 10.30, damm fireworks at midnight woke me up, inconsiderate people............ :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!