News: BBC1 Our Lives - Soul Boy - Northern Soul Related Documentary

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely story. Its testament to the people and music of our scene, always trouble free and so welcoming, sharing our love of the music. To the people involved, his carer, wow what a guy, Karen n Jason, so kind and very inspirational, Richard Searling, always had time for everyone and you could see he was very moved, and finally the Cobbler (Bobby Bland ?) who gave Anthony some top shoes for his future on the dance floor. Will look forward to meeting Anthony at some point. Stay Soulful, Knocker x

• Up vote 3
Social source share

My wife and I enjoyed the programme very much and our favourite bits were seeing Blackpool (obvs)

I was a little disappointed in some of the soundtrack, but enjoyed Anthony's enthusiasm and story.

If anything encourages the young to take over the baton for the future, then so be it and we can all RIP one day, knowing that the "scene" will continue in some shape or form.

The scene I knew was "sometimes" a little unwelcoming to newcomers and this proves that there is at least a push to do so, I have already noticed the comments on FB asking for "how to dance" lessons.

It made us smile and a big hats off to everyone involved.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Great programme and I'm envious of the journey he's got ahead of him. Just an observation, but nearly all the tracks featured were on British. Not complaining just an observation as I don't mind PP Arnold, Solomon King and Kenny Lynch. Can't stand that Helen Shapiro song though!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Anthony has no idea what he has got himself into....no turning back now:)

At about the same age, I luvvved interplay too!

The dancing will get better as 'the shoe' told him.

Just nice to see somebody who looks plugged in to the energy on the floor.

Not sure about those line dancing soulie girls. A bit intimidating when 20 of them are coming at you!

Let's hope the flood gates open with youngsters looking for salvation when the flood gates of the venues open again.

Ed

Great short Doc and a really feel good 30 mins,  What was that track the girls were line dancing to ?, it was the only track i didnt know.

Social source share

Glad to see Anthony enjoying the scene so much, really great how it brings so many people together. Keep spinning the wheels of steel and wearing your shoes out on Northern Soul Dance Floors up and down our wonderful land. All the best and Keep the Faith!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ficklefingers said:

Well I truly and sincerely hope Anthony;s personal journey is not skewed by the line dancing display because that is DEFINITELY NOT anything to do with the Soul Scene I am passionate about

Northern Soul Line Dancing ?????????????/ FFS 

Next thing will be dancers dancing in pairs....heaven forbid.

I've seen those popcorn wallers...doing it...keep it on the continent thank you:)

Must admit doing the conga a cleethorpes winter gardens under the influence and direction of BUB...

Ed

Social source share

Totally agree chalky great to see Anthony and his carer's with such a great relationship, great to see his enthusiasm reminds me of when I first started, As for the 3 Nottingham soul clubs he visited. Coming from Notts myself having been on the scene 46 years I can safely say I didn't know any of the so called soulies. I wish Anthony every success and if he's visited groovin in Derby he's on the right road. 

Social source share

Having been to “the parody that is Shirebrook” and quite enjoyed it, could the experts please give me (as a non-soulie who only goes because the wife is a dancer) an idea of which venues are seen as the real deal and acceptable? Heaven forbid that we are going to be seen as uncool   
interlopers.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

47 minutes ago, bigwheel said:

Northern Soul Line Dancing ?????????????/ FFS 

As taught at butlins skeggy along with dancing competition with road cones to mark your area and trainers with flashing lights 😂😂😂 this is soul but not as we know it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/05/2020 at 17:16, Magpie69 said:

Having been to “the parody that is Shirebrook” and quite enjoyed it, could the experts please give me (as a non-soulie who only goes because the wife is a dancer) an idea of which venues are seen as the real deal and acceptable? Heaven forbid that we are going to be seen as uncool   
interlopers.

well northern soul was always about self expression.  Line dancing (leave it for other scenes), the dress and the rest that goes with the kind of events in question are as I said far removed from the all-nighter circuit, not your Kings Hall, Tower Ballroom events but your week in week out venues that still show a desire to stick to the ethos and spirit of the original all-nighters.

As I said he is enjoying Shirebrook and the rest and best of luck to him, thats all that matters at the end of the day. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

You are of course joking..

You ARE.. aren't you ????? 😮😧😠

47 minutes ago, Magpie69 said:

Oh well, if we have to go to all-nighters to experience the real thing we are stuffed - at 66 years old we need our kip!

53 minutes ago, Chalky said:

well northern soul was always about self expression.  Line dancing (leave it for other scenes), the dress and the rest that goes with the kind of events in question are as I said far removed from the all-nighter circuit, not your Kings Hall, Tower Ballroom events but your week in week out venues that still show a desire to stick to the ethos and spirit of the original all-nighters.

As I said he is enjoying Shirebrook and the rest and best of luck to him, thats all that matters at the end of the day. 

I mentioned line dancing in Blackpool some time ago and got a right telling off from Mike

What goes around eh !!!!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

maybe it's time to draw a line under this topic as we do seem to be getting with every post further and further away from the 'original' topic

which was about a mainstream documentary about a young lad, as in

A teenager in care finds a home on Nottingham’s Northern Soul scene.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

maybe it's time to draw a line under this topic as we do seem to be getting with every post further and further away from the 'original' topic

which was about a mainstream documentary about a young lad, as in

A teenager in care finds a home on Nottingham’s Northern Soul scene.

offtopic posts dropped

topic temp closed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!