Question about edits

Listening to Craig Charles last night while cooking tea. 😬😵. The thing that come across was just how many edits of old tunes he plays, in fact I don't think he played the original version of any track from the 60's or 70's. In wondering how the royalties are divided? How much does the artist get, how much the re editor? Surely the re editor is getting paid? Is this at the expense of the original artists?

Edited by Geeselad
Social source share

No money in releasing Music anymore to be honest. An artist would be lucky if they get 10p per download if with a label and 0.001p for a stream. Can you imagine splitting that if it’s a band 😬

The money for the one doing the edit is getting paid for Dj spots. If a major label is releasing they normally get a flat fee (eg £250/£500/£1,000) for the re edit. It’s also the kudos of getting it out there.

Edited by Richard
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Richard said:

No money in releasing Music anymore to be honest. An artist would be lucky if they get 10p per download if with a label and 0.001p for a stream. Can you imagine splitting that if it’s a band 😬

The money for the one doing the edit is getting paid for Dj spots. If a major label is releasing they normally get a flat fee (eg £250/£500/£1,000) for the re edit. It’s also the kudos of getting it out there.

Thanks Richard, I realise there little cash In recorded music in general and the situation with remixes. I think what concerns me more than the radio play of the edits is all the uncredited edits that appear on SoundCloud and mixcloud, via mixes, where no mention of the original artists is made. 

Social source share

Yes, understand what you mean but the problem you have is trying to circumnavigate it getting taken down from Soundcloud etc.

As soon as you post up the artist you get busted with a strike against you.

At one point I had about 25 taken down just in one day that originally they let me post up over a number of months before hand.

Soundcloud in particular got really strict.

You’ll find nearly all the edits you come across on sites like Soundcloud are via people doing it just for fun and no money involved at all apart of course from the Joey Negro’s and Opolopo’s of the world.

Some are awesome when you consider they are done by what you can term as just enthusiasts.

Btw you don’t get paid by Soundcloud, hearthis.at etc. if you post up an edit.

In fact it actually costs you if have a premium account on there. Also the companies pay nothing to the artists as in effect they don’t want re edits on there as they could end up liable. The way sort of around this is some allow you to post up under a Creative Commons licence which is basically you agreeing it’s not for profit. And as you’re not paying for the stream the host site also makes nothing so no royalties to share out.

Edited by Richard
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes, understand what you mean but the problem you have is trying to circumnavigate it getting taken down from Soundcloud etc.

As soon as you post up the artist you get busted with a strike against you.

At one point I had about 25 taken down just in one day that originally they let me post up over a number of months before hand.

Soundcloud in particular got really strict.

You’ll find nearly all the edits you come across on sites like Soundcloud are via people doing it just for fun and no money involved at all apart of course from the Joey Negro’s and Opolopo’s of the world.

Some are awesome when you consider they are done by what you can term as just enthusiasts.

Btw you don’t get paid by Soundcloud, hearthis.at etc. if you post up an edit.

In fact it actually costs you if have a premium account on there. Also the companies pay nothing to the artists as in effect they don’t want re edits on there as they could end up liable. The way sort of around this is some allow you to post up under a Creative Commons licence which is basically you agreeing it’s not for profit. And as you’re not paying for the stream the host site also makes nothing so no royalties to share out.

Thanks a lot Richard, I think I'm probably a little ignorant if the scale of the edits scene and I must admit enlightened by your be words. I was labouring under the apprehension that this was a commercially orientated rather than enthusiast based. Not keen on a lot of it personally, but realise my hypocrisy when driving today listening to Sasha slice a Whitney Houston accapella over a leftfield track from a thousand years ago, and recalled I almost wet my pants when I heard him do it live for the first time.😁

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!