blockbuster

BBC 'The Record Collectors' Mike Adams & Chris Savory

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, I hope it's ok to post this here, but I did a google search on 'Chris Savory' 'Mike Adams' and it brought me here.  I'm not a Soul music fan per-say, but I was an listener to the Record Collectors programme on BBC Radio Shropshire from around 1991 onwards.  I saw the RIP Chris Savory thread here from many years ago, I read through it and was touched by the tributes to him.  He was obviously held in very high regard by the Soul lovers community - its only when people like Chris leave us that we REALLY appreciate their contributions and their lasting impact and influence on the rest of us.  I was lucky enough to be a guest on the programme back in the day, so it was real privilege to meet Mike and Chris. 

Cutting the chase.  In this lock-down period I have been listening again to the recordings I made of some of The Record Collectors radio programmes on BBC Radio Shropshire - and they are such a joy to hear again after all these years so I thought I'd share them online.  They have inspired me to create a webpage in tribute to the "Gruesome Twosome" via http://www.blocksdvds.com/, and also a facebook group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1252561531802224/ where people can join and post their memories of the programme and hopefully an area where recordings of the show can be posted 🙂

Hopefully, this place is a good start - so little, if anything, is online about The Record Collectors show, so this is my small effort to keep those memories alive.

Cheers

Block

https://www.facebook.com/groups/therecordcollectors

Edited by blockbuster
extra info
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Why's it a private group though?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I tried to set it up as a Public group but unable to.  I troubleshooted the issue and apparently other people are having the same issue.  I'll carry on and see what I can do to change that setting but not hopeful.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
48 minutes ago, blockbuster said:

I tried to set it up as a Public group but unable to.  I troubleshooted the issue and apparently other people are having the same issue.  I'll carry on and see what I can do to change that setting but not hopeful.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Not a clue, that seems very odd, I know they've recently changed the privacy rules though? I run a few FB groups and very few people bother with private ones unless they are really particularly interested, so it won't get the traffic a public one would.  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, blockbuster said:

From Facebook: “Private groups can't be changed to public to protect the privacy of group members.“

If you want the two groups to be public, the only thing to do is start them afresh. As you’ve only just started them, now is the perfect time to do that.

That said, I run a couple of FB groups and deliberately have them set to private to keep out spammers.

A great initative on your part, by the way. Good luck with them. 👍

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
spelin
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

That must be the change, I seem to remember something about that. 

I guess it depends on your intended audience, mine all look to attract people who may only have a passing interest so making them private wouldn't work. Years ago we got loads of spammers selling sunglasses and bitcoin and all that crap, now it's actually incredibly rare, can't think we've had one for a couple of years. Mind you we set some automatic membership questions and that seems to have done the trick.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I used to listen to Mike and Chris(record collectors),the only trouble was,in deepest,darkest South Oxfordshire(Wantage),the signal used to Ebb and Flow terribly,so you used to miss a lot of it,but could just about piece it together, and I think that was tuned into BMRB,think it was in the late 80’s,days before online and DAB...:thumbsup:..

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I used to go to Chris Savoury's record fairs when they where in our town, even when on holiday in Rhyl. I never lived close enough to hear the radio show, so I'm interested.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks for all advice on setting up the Facebook Page as Public.  It is now up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/therecordcollectorsBBC/

Cheers

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
12 minutes ago, blockbuster said:

Thanks for all advice on setting up the Facebook Page as Public.  It is now up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/therecordcollectorsBBC/

Cheers

Good luck with it. 👍

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. The Record Collectors, Record Collector
    Look At Your Box by Brett F on Fri 23 Feb 2007
    • 2 / 700
    • Nick Hackett on 24 Feb 2007
  2. Record Collectors
    Look At Your Box by eamesy on Fri 10 Feb 2006
    • 14 / 1550
    • on 14 Feb 2006
  3. Must Have Record Collectors Item
    Sale Websites by sjclement on Tue 02 Sep 2008
    • 3 / 842
    • john s on 02 Sep 2008
  4. Cheltenham - Soul Collectors Record Swap Meet...coming Soon
    Look At Your Box by SILVERFOX on Sun 13 Oct 2013
    • 1 / 501
    • SILVERFOX on 13 Oct 2013
  5. Cheltenham - Soul Collectors Record Swap Meet...tomorrow Night
    Look At Your Box by SILVERFOX on Sun 10 Nov 2013
    • 1 / 284
    • SILVERFOX on 10 Nov 2013

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.