Mike & Ike?

Who were Mike & Ike on Arctic? Anyone know, got any photos of them?

There is a connection to the 'The Contrails', a blue-eyed Soul outfit from Pittsburgh as their Northern tune 'I'd Rather Be Lonely' shares the same backing as Mike & Ike's 'Sax On The Tracks (I'd Rather Be Lonely)'. 

1313600225_mike-and-ike-saxonthetracks-1965-2.thumb.jpg.0e0389fc8a69b7bafa0267bc33a2dbe8.jpg

contrails-id-rather-be-lonely-chartbound.thumb.jpg.b65f843c328827d2b1d76818b4a997fe.jpg

When you listen to Mike & Ike's vocal side 'Ya Ya' they could be white, possibly?

Here's a bit about The Contrails but no mention of 'I'd Rather Be Lonely' as they were pushing the beat ballad flip... 

https://oldmonmusic.blogspot.com/2008/02/someone.html

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

15 hours ago, Soul-slider said:

Who were Mike & Ike on Arctic? Anyone know, got any photos of them?

There is a connection to the 'The Contrails', a blue-eyed Soul outfit from Pittsburgh as their Northern tune 'I'd Rather Be Lonely' shares the same backing as Mike & Ike's 'Sax On The Tracks (I'd Rather Be Lonely)'. 

1313600225_mike-and-ike-saxonthetracks-1965-2.thumb.jpg.0e0389fc8a69b7bafa0267bc33a2dbe8.jpg

contrails-id-rather-be-lonely-chartbound.thumb.jpg.b65f843c328827d2b1d76818b4a997fe.jpg

When you listen to Mike & Ike's vocal side 'Ya Ya' they could be white, possibly?

Here's a bit about The Contrails but no mention of 'I'd Rather Be Lonely' as they were pushing the beat ballad flip... 

https://oldmonmusic.blogspot.com/2008/02/someone.html

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I think it was a joke name....to hide the real artists, like Jack and Jill on artic.

Mike and Ike are oblong fruit-flavored chewy candies that come in several colors and varieties, including cherry, orange, lime, lemon, and strawberry. ... The candy is kosher and gluten-free. They are similar to Hot Tamales, another candy introduced by the same manufacturer in 1950, though they are not spicy.

Place of origin: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA (1940)

Created by: Just Born, Inc

Other information: 0 grams of fat; kosher; gluten-free

Ed

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I think it was a joke name....to hide the real artists, like Jack and Jill on artic.

Mike and Ike are oblong fruit-flavored chewy candies that come in several colors and varieties, including cherry, orange, lime, lemon, and strawberry. ... The candy is kosher and gluten-free. They are similar to Hot Tamales, another candy introduced by the same manufacturer in 1950, though they are not spicy.

Place of origin: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA (1940)

Created by: Just Born, Inc

Other information: 0 grams of fat; kosher; gluten-free

Ed

Yeah, when I googled Mike & Ike I got a lot of images of these sweets 🤪

So they could be the Contrails anyway?🤔

Social source share

1 hour ago, Simon T said:

In 1989 i was in a record store near Pittsburgh and the owner introduced to me a white guy as the saxophonist; i can't recall now the exact details, but he did have a copy of SONT in his hand - buying, selling, perusing or worked there, i can't remember.

That's brilliant, a step further. Thank you, Simon.

Social source share

Probably Johnny Daye IMO.  He was a Pittsburg act real name John Di Bucci.  Worked for Eko II Productions with Barbara Landis, they took the masters to Arctic.  The source is the booklet in the Cool As Ice set.

The notes don't say what or even if any involvement JD had in SoTT

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

What came first, the vocal or instrumental?

Any reason why the real artist or band are not named on the artic record.

Ed

According to 45cat:

Mike & Ike 1965

Contrails 1967 (although the Contrails piece i linked dates it as 1966, for the flip anyway)

Edited by Soul-slider
Social source share

Let's face it, the band could have been anybody. Use a joke name, and all the money goes to anybody but the band.

It was just a b side anyway, and different writers to the a side.

I wonder why they chose the instrumental rather than vocal ? Assuming the vocal was written at that time.

If they had...it might have made the a side.

Ed

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Let's face it, the band could have been anybody. Use a joke name, and all the money goes to anybody but the band.

It was just a b side anyway, and different writers to the a side.

I wonder why they chose the instrumental rather than vocal ? Assuming the vocal was written at that time.

If they had...it might have made the a side.

Ed

The masters came from the same source, the one I mentioned, Eko II Productions  and Barbara Landis.  The band are probably musicians involved with them.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

Well reading that link. JOHNNY DAYE says he had nothing to do with the record except his mate put him down as a writer, even though he wasn't.

The mystery is still to be solved..

Ed

Would be interesting if Dave Moore could also fill in gaps of where his source was

Social source share

This looks interesting:

"(Robert) Peckman is a local veteran musician and an original member of the Skyliners. He was also managed by Joe Rock and he played with Daye on many occasions during the sixties. Two of Peckman’s numerous projects over the years include Simon and the Piemen, released locally in Pittsburgh in the mid-sixties, and Mike & Ike, who released a record on the Philadelphia-based Arctic label. Daye received songwriting credits on each of the group’s lone singles, but he admits to having little involvement. “I never had anything to do with those songs aside from sitting around the studio goofing off. Joe Rock wrote them and included my name on them. I was just there....

If you can call it singing...it was Daye then, on these two singles.

The contrails look to have had several releases.

Ed

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

This looks interesting:

"(Robert) Peckman is a local veteran musician and an original member of the Skyliners. He was also managed by Joe Rock and he played with Daye on many occasions during the sixties. Two of Peckman’s numerous projects over the years include Simon and the Piemen, released locally in Pittsburgh in the mid-sixties, and Mike & Ike, who released a record on the Philadelphia-based Arctic label. Daye received songwriting credits on each of the group’s lone singles, but he admits to having little involvement. “I never had anything to do with those songs aside from sitting around the studio goofing off. Joe Rock wrote them and included my name on them. I was just there....

If you can call it singing...it was Daye then, on these two singles.

The contrails look to have had several releases.

Ed

This is on The Pittsburg Music History site

Q was comprised of Cannonsburg native Bill Thomas on keyboards and vocals, New Brighton songwriter Robert "Pecky" Peckman on bass and vocals, New Sewickly guitarist/recording engineer Don Garvin, and Bellevue drummer Bill Vogel. Bill Thomas founded a band with his singer partner Suzanne calling it Suzanne & Co. Bill’s wife Judy replaced Suzzane when she left. Veteran musicians Robert Peckman, Don Garvin, and Bill Vogel joined Suzanne & Company. Peckman, before joining the band, had performed as a bassist, drummer, and singer with the Starliners (1962-63), The Skyliners (1964-'66), Johnny Daye ('66 to '67), The Groove-U in 1967, and The Jaggerz ('70-''71). Peckman's voice was heard as the lead singer on song "Ya Ya" by covered Mike and Ike on Acrtic Records in 1965 and on the Sparkz 1966 Bell Records single

• Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This is on The Pittsburg Music History site

Q was comprised of Cannonsburg native Bill Thomas on keyboards and vocals, New Brighton songwriter Robert "Pecky" Peckman on bass and vocals, New Sewickly guitarist/recording engineer Don Garvin, and Bellevue drummer Bill Vogel. Bill Thomas founded a band with his singer partner Suzanne calling it Suzanne & Co. Bill’s wife Judy replaced Suzzane when she left. Veteran musicians Robert Peckman, Don Garvin, and Bill Vogel joined Suzanne & Company. Peckman, before joining the band, had performed as a bassist, drummer, and singer with the Starliners (1962-63), The Skyliners (1964-'66), Johnny Daye ('66 to '67), The Groove-U in 1967, and The Jaggerz ('70-''71). Peckman's voice was heard as the lead singer on song "Ya Ya" by covered Mike and Ike on Acrtic Records in 1965 and on the Sparkz 1966 Bell Records single

That's half of it solved then, Peckman definitely one half of Mike & Ike, it also states that fact here...

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/robert-peckmans-stirrin-up-bees-features-blue-eyed-soul-legend-johnny-daye/Content?oid=1335088

Quote: Robert Peckman may not be a household name, even in R&B circles, but his work certainly is. As a multi-instrumental go-to guy, he spent decades with the likes of the Skyliners, the Jaggerz, Pure Gold and Hoodoo Drugstore. Peckman was also half of the Billboard charting duo called Q, and part of Mike & Ike, whose solitary Arctic Records single from the '60s still gets plays on the northern-soul scene.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Well as the tracks called sax on the track, is there any possibility that mike could be one mike Terry whom was known to do some session work in philly  for Arctic and harthon 

wasn't a Philly recording, done in Pittsburg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

That's half of it solved then, Peckman definitely one half of Mike & Ike, it also states that fact here...

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/robert-peckmans-stirrin-up-bees-features-blue-eyed-soul-legend-johnny-daye/Content?oid=1335088

Quote: Robert Peckman may not be a household name, even in R&B circles, but his work certainly is. As a multi-instrumental go-to guy, he spent decades with the likes of the Skyliners, the Jaggerz, Pure Gold and Hoodoo Drugstore. Peckman was also half of the Billboard charting duo called Q, and part of Mike & Ike, whose solitary Arctic Records single from the '60s still gets plays on the northern-soul scene.

This is more (he has a look of Dave Raistrick about him 😀)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This is more (he has a look of Dave Raistrick about him 😀)

Thanks for that Blackpool! That Groov-U album looks good, in fact I've just purchased it! 

Blue-eyed Soul for sure, there's a version of the Temptations 'I Want A Love I Can See'.

That's Peckman back row 5th from right in thick glasses I guess. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Contrails are in that line-up too, they finished in 1969, this album came out at that time.

16084269_groove-ulp.jpg.12daab5f146a0469f339d0a2529eefea.jpg

2019370952_groov-ulpback.jpg.70fa1f4e91e077ac9e0be8a72e347837.jpg

Edited by Soul-slider
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!