Start of Soul Events after Lockdown

It seems like the end of Lockdown is in sight, any thoughts on how the Soul Scene can be reintroduced in a safer environment and maybe go for quality events instead of quantity, Using the Lockdown Positively instead of Thinking it was all negative, For instance will  it see the end of a lot of all the Tin pot promotions? And a gap for the promoters who care about the Soulies and the music? Maybe this Is the time To put things right?, Nature and Viruses are the great levellers of a host of things, You Sometimes have to make something good come out a something bad what’s happened, Let’s all try to do it with Soul

KR

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Thinksmart said:

So far it is only outdoor things that are opening up and shops where they can enforce social distancing. I may be a touch cautious, but it feels like indoor events, especially those with dancing within range and drinking are a way off yet.  

Hi Thinksmart

I agree it’s way off but time moves on and  before you know it, It will be time for the return of live Soul events so I would say it is better to start to prepare with what is possible now, ideas etc and be ready in a positive way to give the Soulies the events they want,

KR

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Triode said:

Good points raised by Mick,

I agree that something positive must come out of this period of tragic uncertainty, 
Maybe some promoters will have moved on to pastures new!  I have a feeling things will initially progress very slowly until confidence grows & the scene may Initially return to its underground roots........ who remembers the so called “wilderness years” of the early eighties? I certainly do and would go back in a heartbeat!

stay safe

P

Hi Paul 

Everybody likes there favourite times and Years and I’m with you. With the memories 85 -95 are my favourite years let’s try to get them back LoL

ML

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Contrary to the chance the 'tin pot' promotions might disappear, I fear that - due to most being so poorly attended, they will actually thrive because there are so few through the doors at these type functions that social distancing has always seemed the norm !! So nothing will change..

Can't quite see how larger promotions that usually attract decent numbers will fare though.. at least until either it is considered safe to put on these events, or a 'cure' for the virus is in place ??

Edited by Ficklefingers
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

That is what has happened with conferences in my sector too - all rescheduled to broadly the same dates, clashing and with a very nervous audience.  But in London - I don't think we will be going to any in person in London this year.

The South Korea wave that is still rippling through from the lone guy in clubs on one night, shows the sensitivity.  (good new article on it here: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/south-korea-coronavirus-response-second-wave)

The situation on contract tracing and the app seems unclear at present - imagine it pinging at a Soul event.

I am keen to get back though, in fact after this time, I'd welcome going out more if safe (though as someone who had severe double-lung pneumonia from a business trip to China in 2015, safe is the watch word).

It is good to start thinking it through - listening to Richard Searling and others online talking about Blackpool as the largest event perhaps, it is unclear how you could run that for a fair while.

I could easily envisage small 'underground' local events starting with little advertising and people taking the risk.  

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Will be no events for me for some months yet, just because lockdown will be eased or indeed lifted doesn’t mean the virus has gone away.  

It makes sense that it will only Start happening when pubs and night clubs open and thankfully I gave up going 8 years ago and therefore don't miss it, but I feel for the ones that do

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Will be no events for me for some months yet, just because lockdown will be eased or indeed lifted doesn’t mean the virus has gone away.  

Absolutely, we're all going to have to live differently for a while. I work for the NHS and attend a daily Operational Planning Meeting.  Covid has not gone away.  We are expecting a possible second wave in September/October and we are still very much in the midst of a pandemic situation. We cannot be complacent. Social distancing, self isolation, thorough and regular handwashing are as important now as they were six weeks ago.   The Government is trying to keep the economy going by loosening the restrictions slightly but will be relying on us to be sensible otherwise, we'll be back to losing countless lives and traumatising front line NHS staff all over again, back into lockdown and fighting over rolls of Andrex!   Soul events will be nigh on impossible to run successfully for a while I should imagine. We'll just have to be patient I think?  Tempting though it is, my view is we need to be sensible and think of the impact our actions may have on others. 🤔🤗

Social source share

6 hours ago, Triode said:

Good points raised by Mick,

I agree that something positive must come out of this period of tragic uncertainty, 
Maybe some promoters will have moved on to pastures new!  I have a feeling things will initially progress very slowly until confidence grows & the scene may Initially return to its underground roots........ who remembers the so called “wilderness years” of the early eighties? I certainly do and would go back in a heartbeat!

stay safe

P

Aah the wilderness years when the scene moved forward instead of backwards they were the day's 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Interesting though, I've had an email from a festival promoter today and also seen two new FB events pop up for September and October. An outdoor festival may be more of a go-er though but the other events don't even mention social distancing so I guess they are betting on it being totally relaxed by then, otherwise they won't have a hope.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Interesting though, I've had an email from a festival promoter today and also seen two new FB events pop up for September and October. An outdoor festival may be more of a go-er though but the other events don't even mention social distancing so I guess they are betting on it being totally relaxed by then, otherwise they won't have a hope.

This from 2 days ago

The UK Home Office shared the 60-page document Our Plan To Rebuild on May 11th. It includes a three-step plan for phasing out the UK lockdown, with the first in action from the 11th, the second tentatively starting no earlier than June 1st, and the third potentially beginning on July 4th. Pubs and restaurants, under the category of "food-service providers," are planned to partially reopen in that third stage. However, it also states, "Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part." 

Nightclubs are only mentioned once: "While reopening outdoor spaces and activities (subject to continued social distancing) comes earlier in the roadmap because the risk of transmission outdoors is significantly lower, it is likely that reopening indoor public spaces and leisure facilities (such as gyms and cinemas), premises whose core purpose is social interaction (such as nightclubs), venues that attract large crowds (like sports stadia), and personal care establishments where close contact is inherent (like beauty salons) may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections." 

I assume nightclubs refers to all "type" venues

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks, hadn't seen that. I guess by extrapolation it's possible to conclude that if the first three phases are May, June and July then "considerably longer" could be another three phases i.e. August, September and October? Of course it's all subject to change and if there's second spike it's back to square one.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Len said:

At first I thought lots of 'promoters' will be chomping at the bit TO BE THE FIRST! So a load of events will be scrambling for the diary dates.  But the longer this goes on, maybe, just maybe, less people will bother putting events on after re-evaluating that other things are more important in their lives. So rather than have the stress of putting on an event, they choose to attend other events instead.

Time will tell of course, but I for one am hoping that the scene is a more 'condensed' animal after this virus has said goodbye - Let's not rush this.

Hope to see you all at The Bury All-nighter when it is safe :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

But Len.. What would they then do with all those expensive bootlegs they invested their pension pots in !?! 😮🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This from 2 days ago

The UK Home Office shared the 60-page document Our Plan To Rebuild on May 11th. It includes a three-step plan for phasing out the UK lockdown, with the first in action from the 11th, the second tentatively starting no earlier than June 1st, and the third potentially beginning on July 4th. Pubs and restaurants, under the category of "food-service providers," are planned to partially reopen in that third stage. However, it also states, "Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part." 

Nightclubs are only mentioned once: "While reopening outdoor spaces and activities (subject to continued social distancing) comes earlier in the roadmap because the risk of transmission outdoors is significantly lower, it is likely that reopening indoor public spaces and leisure facilities (such as gyms and cinemas), premises whose core purpose is social interaction (such as nightclubs), venues that attract large crowds (like sports stadia), and personal care establishments where close contact is inherent (like beauty salons) may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections." 

I assume nightclubs refers to all "type" venues

Up here, it’s looking like end of August if all goes to plan anyway, but realistically we are more than likely going to hit a second wave and go back a step or two.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

My thoughts are the same.  Due to health problems until I either know that the virus has gone away or I have had a vaccine I can't see me going to a niter for a long long time. Hopefully things will return to normal and I will be able to go to a niter again.  The thought of knowing that I have already been to my last one is too much to contemplate 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

My thoughts are the same.  Due to health problems until I either know that the virus has gone away or I have had a vaccine I can't see me going to a niter for a long long time. Hopefully things will return to normal and I will be able to go to a niter again.  The thought of knowing that I have already been to my last one is too much to contemplate 

Very very wise and very true

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!