James Phelps - Love Is A Five Letter Word.

Drew3

• Replies 14
  • Views 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What a fantastic question and I don't know if we will ever know

The label changed to Chess the same year 1965 as I think they were under threat from the UK Argo label

The LP labels were just as varied

There were at least 8 different variations of the single, including an orange and yellow one as well

(Bootlegs)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I remember seeing the black first, but both were out early in the record's run.  Likely they were just different pressing plant issues, with one plant having a back stock of the older black blank labels, and having to use them up first.  Black came first on Argo, and later, the brown design.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The label changed to Chess the same year 1965 as I think they were under threat from the UK Argo label

Argo was actually changed to Cadet.  Chess and Checker remained the same.

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

It's not to be set a rule but assuming 'promotional' copies are part of the first pressed 'batch', the 'brown' release had a real promotional release. The black Argo not apparently. Sticking to my Artone picture sleeve press :)

As Robbk said, it could be a typical case where some pressing plants still had stashes of 'old' the labels to use after the new labels where already used in other pressing plants instead of being 'first' and 'second' release.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It is amazing that a US company got frightened by a UK company ?

I don't think it was a matter of Chess being frightened by lawsuits from a British company.  I think it was a lot more about Chess expanding strongly into international markets (especially Britain and Western Europe), and they wanted to upgrade their narrow former image as a merely an American Blues and R&B label, to an international multi-genre record company; and they wanted to have good relationships with UK and European distributors, where British Decca was already strongly entrenched. 

This was also a chance to enhance their marketing by alliterating their major label names, by changing the Argo to a name starting with C, to have their vocalised label lineup roll off the tongue: "The Chess, Checker, Cadet (and later, Cadet Concept) Group, which not long after, was introduced into their marketing campaigns, including on their company record sleeves.  Argo was too unique, and different a name, with a much more individualised logo (picture of Jason's ship), invoking the idea of The Argosy - an image of the company taking a voyage up the charts from anonymity to World fame.  Indeed, during the time of their early black and silver label, it was difficult to make the connection that it was related to the more bland Chess and Checker labels, unless one noticed the Arc Music credits.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Chess brothers 3rd label (after Chess and Checker) did have a lot of problems with its name. It 

started out as Marterry and was changed to Argo after band leader Ralph Marterrie objected to the 

name. The Argo name lasted about 9 years before finally going to Cadet. 

Mart.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!