Ken Sands Motown and Magic City

I reckon there were at least a dozen quality sides issued on the Magic City label. From so called Northern Soul to Ballads and the Funk of Butch Cheatham’s Mad Dogs.

Remember this operation was primarily a recording studio, not a record label. The studio was above the shop/office and the entrance to it can be seen at the right hand side of the above image.

Despite comments on this site a number of years ago about Popcorn Wylie not using the studio, I can reveal that he told me he did. Not only him but Revilot, Ric-Tic (post Golden World) and MAH’s. There is no record of who else used the studio during 1967-68 but it was probably significant as there were many labels without proper studios.

Ernest Burt bought Wilbur Golden’s Correc-tone studio in 1966 and it was established in 1967. Proof is in this extract from a 1975 listing of recording facilities In Michigan. The turnover is poor but a lot had changed in the previous nine years in Detroit.

7F4286CC-8172-495E-8C39-18073ECD612C.jpeg

From Billboard......April 1968.

7DEA8EB8-8F39-4180-8A74-6A59DB323160.jpeg

Edited by David Meikle
Billboard added
Social source share

I asked Robert Bateman if he would draw me a sketch of the Magic City studio layout. He duly obliged and signed it for me. The stairwell leading from the image’s front right hand door is shown on the left. The word window is scribbled above and below the word Studio. The control room is at the foot of the sketch. I know it’s rough but hopefully someone finds it interesting. Robert Bateman R.I.P.

02FA5167-FED9-44C0-B352-7EDF4FAC12BC.jpeg

Edited by David Meikle
Re-wrote para 1 text
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Both Labron Smith of Nightchill and Ken Sands Magic City’s Sound Engineer told me that Ernest Burt was shot in his premises in the seventies.

Ken told me that Ernest staggered into the street and into his car which was across the other side of the road. With the door ajar and the hand brake off he passed away leaving the car to drift slowly down Grand River Avenue.

I found this clip from the 1981 edition of the Detroit Free Press which appears to have been some kind of inquest outcomes for fatal killings in the city.

34EEBA3D-A7D6-4530-9FAE-624705229B65.jpeg

Social source share

It's a great historic thread.

There must have been some real money for labels lucky enough to get a national hit.

Interesting to know a label owner could hire a competitors studio. Anything to keep overheads down I guess.

So Sad very few hit the jackpot.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/06/2020 at 18:33, David Meikle said:

Interesting read.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/marvin-gaye-whats-going

I was watching an old Detroit Riots video last night when this image flashed across the screen. Thank goodness for the rewind and pause buttons.

In the window the word Delrick can be seen which was the publishing arm of Magic City.

The words painted on the window, ‘Soul Bro’, was an attempt to save the building from looting.

8912 Grand River Avenue, long gone, but never forgotten.

8EA55BD8-B1D1-45E9-B461-45AF64185DEB.jpeg

Good Job You Have " Eagle Eyes " Sometimes They Appeared Like That ( Down Them Stairs- WHITWORTH St -Manchester )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!