Zoomsoulblue

D Day 6th June 1944 - Beginning of the end of WWII

The Normandy landings were the landing operations and associated airborne operations on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 of the Allied invasion of Normandy in Operation Overlord during World War II. Codenamed Operation Neptune and often referred to as D-Day, it was the largest seaborne invasion in history. The operation began the liberation of German-occupied France (and later western Europe) and laid the foundations of the Allied victory on the Western Front.

1DF889F8-02B4-4254-9700-66E9A4353337.jpeg

• Up vote 8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

my mum lost  2 uncles on the beaches...........never forget x

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I've visited Normandy on a number of occasions,  visited all the landing beaches and quite a few other D-Day locations  not too mention the many museums,  but it's the cemeteries that really bring it home to you.

If you've never been to Normandy, just go. An experience not to be forgotten.

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

AD5C32D6-4FA1-4208-9698-632DDE88946D.jpeg

• Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Supercorsa said:

I've visited Normandy on a number of occasions,  visited all the landing beaches and quite a few other D-Day locations  not too mention the many museums,  but it's the cemeteries that really bring it home to you.

If you've never been to Normandy, just go. An experience not to be forgotten.

been a couple of times and fully agree, well worth the visit

the below from BBC website

Harry Billinge had planned to be in Normandy for the 76th anniversary of D-Day, visiting a new British memorial with other veterans.

The 94-year-old raised tens of thousands of pounds for the memorial - and he was even made an MBE for his efforts.

But the trip was cancelled due to coronavirus. So BBC Breakfast surprised with a face from the past.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52949391/d-day-anniversary-emotional-surprise-for-veteran-in-lockdown

• Up vote 8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

4F9F3EAF-AEC2-4466-92E6-F12621CAD93C.jpeg

• Up vote 11

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Always mindful of this and all Allied Victory and Loss during WW2.

We are here today because of their sacrifices,the NAZI's were pure

evil,they had to be defeated.

Respect for all Veterans of all Allied Countries always. :hatsoff2::hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Deepest respects to all who fought for the allies in WW2. My father as a military policeman went over on June 7th 1944. One day after d day.  I am very proud of him and still miss him everyday.  He was one day from his 90th birthday when he passed away x x. I enclose a photo of him in his uniform ( always makes me smile as he is smoking as he did till he passed) I am  hoping one day to go to Normandy to see Arramanche where he landed and pay my respects to his brother ( my uncle Sidney) and all the allied servicemen who gave everything and never came home.  

20190530_181409.jpg

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

My father helped storm Juno Beach on the first day, with The Canadian Army's The Royal Winnipeg Rifles.  His unit lost half its men.  But he survived to age 94, until 4 years ago.  My uncle also fought in France.  Luckily, he came home too.  Unfortunately I lost about half my extended family from Holland, Belgium and Hungary in The Nazi death camps.  Thank goodness The Allies won that war. 

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Such brave souls going into the unknown.

The estimated 85m people who dies or 3% of the world population is staggering.

Russia, China, Germany, Japan lost millions of armed forces. About 25m between them.

It's hard to imagine what it was like in the battle zones.

Let's hope a lunatic never leads a country into war again, because the weapons these days might add one or two noughts onto the numbers above.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. News: Bobby Womack My Story 1944-2014 - Kindle
    All About The Soul by mike on Tue 12 Aug 2014
    • 4 / 665
    • stoned on 31 Aug 2014
  2. Tommy Good - Beginning Of The End
    Record Sales by Jodie on Mon 20 Apr 2009
    • 1 / 399
    • Jodie on 20 Apr 2009
  3. Phillip Mitchell Cd Just The Beginning
    Record Sales by dougielawton on Mon 23 Nov 2015
    • 1 / 442
    • dougielawton on 23 Nov 2015
  4. Phillip Mitchell - Just The Beginning / Something New To Do
    Record Sales by alexsubinas on Fri 29 Aug 2014
    • 1 / 536
    • alexsubinas on 29 Aug 2014
  5. Video: The First Class - The Beginning Of The End
    Soul Media by mike on Wed 13 Mar 2019
    • 1 / 205
    • mike on 13 Mar 2019

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.