Hidden Motown Delights.

1967 - B side classic / old wheel sound and sometimes Mr M’s top tune

Some background 

In the UK, however, "I'll Pick a Rose" became a hit after it reached the number 10 in early 1969, thanks to its popularity from the Northern soul scene. Motown dug into its vaults for tracks to create an album for the British market, I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose, released by Tamla Motown in 1969, which contained many of Johnson's songs recorded since he had signed there in the mid-1960s, including "Why Do You Want to Let Me Go", "I'm Not a Plaything" and "I Miss You Baby (How I Miss You)". The latter was also reissued as a single by Tamla Motown and was a hit in Britain, reaching number 25 on the UK charts in November 1969.[6] He also toured the UK with Martha Reeves.

Johnson continued singing into the 1990s, releasing a solo album on the London-based Motorcity Records label, owned by Northern soul DJ and Motown lover Ian Levine. Johnson was one of the first and, according to Levine, one of "the most loyal and the most grateful" of all the former Motown artists he recorded.[8] Two singles were released, "By Hook or by Crook" in 1988 and "Run Like a Rabbit" in 1989.

927C2448-F25C-4B63-8406-0E1C16312FF5.jpeg

Edited by Zoomsoulblue
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul Shrews said:

Not sure about "hidden" but just a great record

Cheers Paul

Pretty nice!  When was it recorded?  Sounds like early to mid '70s.  Too bad Ronnie's vocal is covered up by the background singers' chorus in several spots.  I would have stepped up the lead vocal track more, or lowered the background vocal track a bit.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Many a hidden gem on Motown LP's -just a couple of examples;

The Isley Brothers' outstanding version of 'Whispers',which I like even better than Jackie Wilson's great original (on the 'Behind A Painted Smile' LP)

Chuck Jacksons' version of B.B. Kings' The Thrill Is Gone' on 1970's VIP 'Teardrops Keep Fallin' On My Heart' LP-a rare  straight Blues on Motown  but a  fine performance from Chuck and the band

Incidentally,The  Isley Brothers' Whispers sounds much better,I think, on the stereo version of the LP, than the mono,unusually -although there are others I can think of,most notably Garnet Mimms 'Cry Baby' LP, particularly the immortal title track;it sounds stunning enough in mono but the stereo version is quite magnificent

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!