Anyone missing Cleethorpes?

On 07/06/2020 at 19:44, Chris Turnbull said:

I know I am - would have had my fish & chips at the Leaking Boot and now be getting ready to go out for the Sun night

Going to have a couple of pints, give Frankie & Johnny a spin and remember great times past 

We had a virtual Cleethorpes Weekender on Facebook last weekend, not the same I know, but it sure as hell helped soothe the pain of not being there this year.

It was a lovely coming together of people missing the place with some fantastic music played from the likes of Ady Croasdell, Phil Dick, Neil Rushton, Keith Money, Mark Randle, Steve Woomble, Carole Mcarthy, Andy Newman, Paul Davis & Rob Messer and lots of banter to go with it 

Pat Lewis sang live from her own front room!!  She was sensational & it was quite bizarre me dancing to her in my home while watching her perform live from her home. 

Shame you’re not on Facebook Chris as you would have loved it 

Hope you’re coping okay in Lockdown

All the best 

Ali x

Edited by Alison H
Typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Hiya, didn't know about virtual weekend. Our mob has been going since the first one and yep we all missed it, was looking at a picture of me and Mary love from the first one and another of Tony Middleton dancing, cheers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, didn't know about virtual weekend. Our mob has been going since the first one and yep we all missed it, was looking at a picture of me and Mary love from the first one and another of Tony Middleton dancing, cheers

It was a last minute thing arranged a few days before as someone suggested it on the 28th Cleethorpes Weekender page.

Are you on Facebook? If so, join the group/page & the streams are still there, although FB have muted a lot of Keith Money’s modern set, thankfully they didn’t do it at the time.

You will have to scroll back to last weekend as people have posted pictures after so the streams have dropped down the page but they will still be worth a watch/listen 

All the best 

Ali x

Social source share

On 13/06/2020 at 00:37, Alison H said:

Shame you’re not on Facebook Chris as you would have loved it 

Hi Ali, can't believe I missed that 🙃 Hope you are well too

Ended up having a lost weekend in the living room - almost did Sunday night in real time (Barbara Lewis, Maxine, Spellbinders, Marvin & Tammi etc in the main room, Archie Bell, Spinners, Stevie Wonder etc in the modern room 😄😄

Finished off with my caravan top tunes (always Dells 'It's all up to you' last) then in bed all day Mon when I should have been working 

PS website says planned now for 20th Nov?

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

On 15/06/2020 at 09:07, Chris Turnbull said:

Hi Ali, can't believe I missed that 🙃 Hope you are well too

Ended up having a lost weekend in the living room - almost did Sunday night in real time (Barbara Lewis, Maxine, Spellbinders, Marvin & Tammi etc in the main room, Archie Bell, Spinners, Stevie Wonder etc in the modern room 😄😄

Finished off with my caravan top tunes (always Dells 'It's all up to you' last) then in bed all day Mon when I should have been working 

PS website says planned now for 20th Nov?

Cheers, Chris

Ha ha sounds like you still had a good time at home.

Yeh, November, I can’t see it happening, especially if the artists have to quarantine for 2 weeks when here.

At the moment I’m not comfortable about going anywhere where there is a lot of people.  Also, Cleethorpes in November just doesn’t appeal to me even without a virus hanging about.

I hope they manage to get a 2021 date sorted as the usual date had already been booked out for a wedding (big flippin wedding!)

God forbid if it’s 2022 when we can all party on the Beachcomber again ☹️  

Social source share

Hiya, besides all the other things going on, accommodation will be a problem. I've also heard (rumour ?) That next year a July date has been mentioned. Obviously high season so less caravans available and a huge price hike for the ones that are available and I really don't fancy staying in a hotel, travel lodge etc. Who knows what will happen ? But I really hope it just doesn't fizzle out, cheers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, besides all the other things going on, accommodation will be a problem. I've also heard (rumour ?) That next year a July date has been mentioned. Obviously high season so less caravans available and a huge price hike for the ones that are available and I really don't fancy staying in a hotel, travel lodge etc. Who knows what will happen ? But I really hope it just doesn't fizzle out, cheers

Used all my up votes for today so 👍

I had heard about the possible July date (end of July) & initially agreed with it and was excited too, but when I checked with my caravan man, he said it’s in the school holidays and he can’t let the Van out for a weekend when he could let it out for a week and obviously get more money. Like you I wouldn’t want to stay in a hotel or B&B.

I personally think the promoters should be tougher with the site & tell them they risk the Weekender not being on at all next year if they insist on letting the venue out for a wedding.  Surely a Weekender would bring in more money than a wedding. I understand the wedding is a relation of someone who works there so a gentle word in their ear may persuade the loving couple to change their date.

I appreciate the Promoters don’t want to clash with other weekenders hence why it’s either the June weekend or possible July date & they are doing the right thing, morally, but I truly hope it isn’t 2022 when I’m back on the Beachcomber ☹️

Regards 

Ali 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Apart from missing the obvious niters, weekender's etc. Now I've been off work for 13 weeks I am really really really missing the normal things in life  like going away for the weekend at our caravan it's between mablethorpe and cleethorpes and just walking around the shops and getting some seaside fish and chips and sitting watching the sea.. hopefully we will be able to go soon so will give the leaking boot a try, ( it better be good lol) cause normally I don't like boots and prefer originals. 

Ps really miss the Winter Gardens was great in the early 80's with all the modern 

Edited by Greedy Mick
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!