Posted

just so all aware, due to concerns of misuse the reputation system has been temporary switched off while these concerns are looked into

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

•  Views 1.3k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok on the profile page reputation display above thanks for all views and feedback after discussion the reputation total and the link to the reputation activity now shows again on all me

I can't go into detail on everything that the previous speakers have said. I also hope that I have understood everything correctly. English is not my mother tongue - and school/training/study is long

Some members post up really  useful and interesting pictures and information about things that are very relevant to the  freebasing section of the site and are appreciated by the people that view them

Posted (edited)

Fair enough if you want to remove the ' disagree ' feature,.....but for misuse? Really? What was the misuse?

I may have been responsible for hitting the disagree button on one, maybe two, occasions on the thread that prompted the review. No one has contacted me as part of the ' looking in to these concerns ' process so I am confused as to whether I am supposed to have misused the feature. I didn't post comments supporting my disagreement - it's not obligatory, and believe me I was far to angry to do that in a reasonable fashion.

Further to that I fail to see how disagreeing with a post can me deemed misuse, unless someone is automatically disagreeing with every post a member makes (happened to me once). Surely the removal of this option can only lend weight to the increasingly considered thought that opposing views are being suppressed?

On the other hand I may have read this all wrong - but I'd like to know.

- Kev

Edited by Kevinkent
Typo
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Kevinkent said:

Fair enough if you want to remove the ' dislike ' feature,.....but for misuse? Really? What was the misuse?

I may have been responsible for hitting the dislike button on one, maybe two, occasions on the thread that prompted the review. No one has contacted me as part of the ' looking in to these concerns ' process so I am confused as to whether I am supposed to have misused the feature. I didn't post comments supporting my disagreement - it's not obligatory, and believe me I was far to angry to do that in a reasonable fashion.

Further to that I fail to see how disagreeing with a post can me deemed misuse, unless someone is automatically disagreeing with every post a member makes (happened to me once). Surely the removal of this option can only lend weight to the increasingly considered thought that opposing views are being suppressed?

On the other hand I may have read this all wrong - but I'd like to know.

- Kev

As said there was a concern that the 'reputation' feature was being misused

This was triggered by the sight of a long time valued member feeling a need to apologise to all  members after reactions to one of his posts

This post brought up the whole question of the use of this feature on the site

I felt myself it was beginning to get used more and more by members to influence a point of view rather than a simple 'like/unlike' type reaction both for and against different views. Which imo was/is mis-use

Normally in the serious non-soul forums (see current affairs)  we don't allow the reputation feature, however as  'George Floyd death' was an important  'human rights' topic and as such had a place in our main soul forum, with this topic the reputation feature was active

It was then switched off site wide due to the above concerns, when the topic was moved, it could then be switched back on, which it was, but without the disagree option.

I then asked the team views about the 'disagree' returning, the overall team view was that the 'disagree' should be left off, which it then was, hence the above post

Regarding the comment about the suppression of opposing views, the guidelines and terms of use are the criteria for what is acceptable on here.

One of the team did put forward the view, that it be better if people did 'disagree' that they did it via words rather than a quick tick so the removal could actually improve/encourage discussion of opposing words

thanks for the feedback

mike

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Mike I like it the way it is now simply because I contributed alot to the site prior to my break and then had to come back and start all over again ? Surely after 12.000 + posts a little credit should of been given to the input prior to me having a break. 

I felt like a soul novice starting all over again which was mildly ridiculous and felt that the input i put into Refosoul etc was all in vain. 

I would contribute a whole lot more if that feature was scrapped because imho it does not encourage an exploration of the issues its comes across sometimes a bit self serving.

We had great debates before  the feature on soul source and we should have a whole lot more.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

thanks for feedback Baz

I see it as bringing to the site and members, a quick visual way of saying thanks, cheers, good post, agree etc etc without affecting the flow of the topic

it can and has been over time tweaked to fit in with both the way members use the site and the aim to provide a worthwhile and enjoyable place, and can in future be tweaked further

it has been toned down a bit, members reputation totals no longer show on profile, and am fairly sure they don't actually show anywhere now?

which does alter the dynamics abit

one of my concerns about removing it would be...

would we get more 'nice one mate' or even 👏 style posts if we did get rid?

so am a bit wary of getting rid right now, though always open to suggestions etc

cheers

mike

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Can't see the point of having a 'like/thumbs up' button if the 'likes' are not shown on the profile , I'm sure I'm not alone in being quite proud that my '+' points outweighed my post count before it was removed.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Mike said:

it has been toned down a bit, members reputation totals no longer show on profile, and am fairly sure they don't actually show anywhere now?

which does alter the dynamics abit

any more thoughts on that side of things

as in...

members reputation total to show on profile or not show?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms don’t offer accumulative totals of how many ‘likes’, shares or other reactions you’ve had from your posts.
Although nice to have more ‘likes’ than you’ve made posts on here, a high figure doesn’t really equate to a member’s ‘reputation’ as such. Rather, it’s an accumulation of likes on a lot of posts.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mike said:

as in...

I can't go into detail on everything that the previous speakers have said. I also hope that I have understood everything correctly. English is not my mother tongue - and school/training/study is long over ... but I would like to see the number of "Reputation Points" in my profile as we had it before. Somehow this is some kind of recognition and satisfaction for his mostly active action/participation. When I see that my "R-Points" add up, it's great and I see that I'm not completely wrong in this great forum ... Stay Safe UK!

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike said:

as in...

Hi Mike,

Personally, I'm not that bothered about a cumulative total appearing anywhere. It tends to get skewed by certain topics anyway. For example, someone can post up a picture of squirrel, bird, dog, cat, plant, flower, cloud ....... and get 5 up-votes per post. Whereas some members I see post up really useful/interesting info about records, singers or groups that is very relevant to the main reason for the site and it doesn't seem to get as much appreciation by votes.

Cheers

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

Hi Mike,

Personally, I'm not that bothered about a cumulative total appearing anywhere. It tends to get skewed by certain topics anyway. For example, someone can post up a picture of squirrel, bird, dog, cat, plant, flower, cloud ....... and get 5 up-votes per post. Whereas some members I see post up really useful/interesting info about records, singers or groups that is very relevant to the main reason for the site and it doesn't seem to get as much appreciation by votes.

Cheers

Some members post up really  useful and interesting pictures and information about things that are very relevant to the  freebasing section of the site and are appreciated by the people that view them by the votes 😁

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

10 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Some members post up really  useful and interesting pictures and information about things that are very relevant to the  freebasing section of the site and are appreciated by the people that view them by the votes 😁

Two replies Mike with equally valid points that leave you stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place, neither of them wrong , as with all things comes down to personal opinion as to the purpose and value of the reputation feature. I do think as you say if you didn't have the button you would probably get a flood of thumbs up etc cluttering up a thread. As a way of showing appreciation for a post it works for me. I don't see it as a validation of the poster being knowledgeable when it comes to all things soul related though obviously most are, just that they have had posts that people like across the spread of forums.

Should reputation show on a profile, I don't see why not but if you choose not to I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. personally.

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

One thing is certain regarding "reputation" features , it is held as pretty much vital for vendors to have absolutely spotless ratings otherwise buyers get decidedly nervous about pressing the buy button.

It doesn't matter whether it be on here , e-bay or discogs ; that number in the box is vital , once it dips below 99% folk get awfully twitchy .

For the most part it's the only clue as to the standing/reputation of the vendor , who in general are completely anonymous . Same applies here in as much as it's a quick tool to use to get an initial insight as to who you might be dealing with/answering.

I feel that removing the feature is a knee-jerk reaction reaction to a one-off case brought about by the general eggshell-walking that engulfed everything a while back ,  I daren't even mention the case for fear of upsetting someone somewhere  .... 

There's obviously been a lot of hand-wringing going on behind closed doors regarding this matter , a situation it has to be said , ultimately brought to the fore by the powers that be changing things for that one thread and now suffering because of it , there has been so much discussion regarding moderation on here of late that maybe judgement's getting a little clouded.

Maybe now it's time to eliminate the cause of all the grief , let the political crap get discussed elsewhere online on a more appropriate platform , restore the reputation feature knowing the contentious issues are no longer going to lead to misinterpretation/'misuse' and get back to discussing more civilised matters.

Just my two penneth.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

One thing is certain regarding "reputation" features , it is held as pretty much vital for vendors to have absolutely spotless ratings otherwise buyers get decidedly nervous about pressing the buy button.

It doesn't matter whether it be on here , e-bay or discogs ; that number in the box is vital , once it dips below 99% folk get awfully twitchy .

For the most part it's the only clue as to the standing/reputation of the vendor , who in general are completely anonymous . Same applies here in as much as it's a quick tool to use to get an initial insight as to who you might be dealing with/answering.

reference the sales side don't forget that we do already have our very own  'members sales feedback' feature which does all the above in a far better way 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/feedback/

I feel that removing the feature is a knee-jerk reaction reaction to a one-off case brought about by the general eggshell-walking that engulfed everything a while back ,  I daren't even mention the case for fear of upsetting someone somewhere  .... 

There's obviously been a lot of hand-wringing going on behind closed doors regarding this matter , a situation it has to be said , ultimately brought to the fore by the powers that be changing things for that one thread and now suffering because of it , there has been so much discussion regarding moderation on here of late that maybe judgement's getting a little clouded.

the actual feature itself is still here and is still to all purposes working/available

I'd say the most recent discussion here is more about the 'profile' reputation display being left switched off or switched back on

at the moment am just sounding out views on it - the profile reputation display 

as been said earlier some good points have been made both for on/off

Maybe now it's time to eliminate the cause of all the grief , let the political crap get discussed elsewhere online on a more appropriate platform , restore the reputation feature knowing the contentious issues are no longer going to lead to misinterpretation/'misuse' and get back to discussing more civilised matters.

Just my two penneth.

maybe that suggestion would be better discussed on a different topic, maybe once this has been resolved

thanks for views, feedback always appreciated

Edited by Mike
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

ok on the profile page reputation display above

thanks for all views and feedback

after discussion

the reputation total and the link to the reputation activity now shows again on all members profile page

while it remains left off the forum post box

myself feel that this offers a balanced solution to both of the main concerns raised 

Will look at this again in two weeks if there are any further concerns raised

thanks

• Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 06/07/2020 at 23:25, Woodbutcher said:

Can't see the point of having a 'like/thumbs up' button if the 'likes' are not shown on the profile , I'm sure I'm not alone in being quite proud that my '+' points outweighed my post count before it was removed.

Personally can't see the point of gloating about getting a thumbs up ,, but hopefully you will get more thumbs up 👍👍👍👍 Stephen 

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Offers Feature - Improvements To Feature/listings
    Support by mike on Tue 21 Feb 2017
    • 1 / 717