Stevegods

Moderation by name - not by nature ?

Just found the recent locked thread in “ Site Support “ of another member that has felt the need to up and leave this forum.

Mike , please do not take this as a personal swipe at you or your forum , I am just a little saddened by the loss of yet another valuable member, who I grew to have a kinship and felt a close bond to. 

While not knowing the entire background of this individual case , is there a chance that this forum could possibly be  suppressing opposing views and good hard debate and risking loosing both sides of the spectrum here

Playing devils advocate , because I found Joey to be someone who was always balanced and very knowledgable and had a far better memory that I had about events back in the day. 

I do understand that both running a site like this and dealing with the thousands of posts of various members will always prove a difficult task at times, but is there a chance that the way moderation is handled defeats its objectives in the end ?

I think we all understand that we must have moderators and checks on any kind of forum and on the whole I think it’s managed quite well. I just offer this open to debate but it may well be that this is what happens in life , people come and people go .... 

Its been a real pleasure my friend and we will keep in touch for sure, maybe see you in Cyprus 😜

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Stevegods - Am not here to defend Mike or the SS team - however some years ago I went into a number about something that looking back could be viewed as offence to some people - for that I got an official SS warning - since then I’ve bitten my lip many times reference some of the comments people make on here always usually touching on political views - never on Soul related items - so I just don’t bother to get involved in that topic, mainly to keep my blood pressure down - as I view SS as a great means to support and discuss Northern Soul.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Sorry Steve but disagree strongly with your post/points

Moderation

We do have 'terms of uses' and 'guidelines'

These are setup to follow both uk mainstream media standards along with legal requirements and we base all moderation actions and decisions on these.

All members do when joining and by using the site agree to follow the terms of use

In this matter

We had a member post a comment calling protesters 'animals' and emphasised the term by repeating it

The post was temp hidden by myself and I asked the rest of team the views on the post of the use of the term 'animals' 

After discussion, the decision was made to leave the post off and issue the member with a warning informing him that the post was removed, the reasons why and that any repeat may lead to further action 

He then accepted the warning

Which should have meant the end of the matter

He then felt fit to post a 'farewell'' claiming his post was 100% factual along with other claims

Given his post and his remarks about leaving I closed the account

That's what happened and that's what may happen next time someone posts something that we feel could be read by others as offensive

Summary

We do have legal responsibilities and may be held responsible for members posts depending on our actions.

As such we insist that members do follow our terms of use and we may take action if they don't.

We do have a 'warning ' system that may be used to both ensure members are aware that their actions/posts are a concern and inform of actions

Members may get warned if they do not follow our terms of use/guidelines (links at bottom of page)

Edited by Mike
updated
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Mike , 

i hope you read my post correctly, as it was one of asking a question and not making judgements on what has or has not happened. 

And you are more than welcome to disagree or agree with anything that I post , I would just hope that there is always room for an open frank discussion relating to opposing views. 

Not now being able to review the message stream that led up to this situation , does not help in making anything open or transparent.

To be totally honest , I would not find the use of the word “ Animals “ regarding some of what could be described as “ Far Left “ young protesters the other day , as anything to be rebuked or given a warning for , even if used repeatedly. I have read far worse, week in week out on here by various forum members. 

The tearing down of EC statue in Bristol could be construed as some form of poetic justice given the events of the last few days / weeks. However the defacing of Churchill’s statue was maybe a step too far , even though some may say he had racist views back in the day .

However .

Leaving that all aside , all I wanted was to question all about the fairness and openness of both moderation and posting. Who moderators the moderators ?

You have the power to end a discussion,    to stop a thread , and erase the posts in the click of a button. We all say and write things in the heat of the moment, especially where political issues are raised. But we should be able to disagree vehemently with another member or moderator as long it is within the guidelines of the site.

I guess it’s down to how you interpret those rules / guidelines. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Mike , 

i hope you read my post correctly, as it was one of asking a question and not making judgements on what has or has not happened. 

And you are more than welcome to disagree or agree with anything that I post , I would just hope that there is always room for an open frank discussion relating to opposing views. 

Not now being able to review the message stream that led up to this situation , does not help in making anything open or transparent.

To be totally honest , I would not find the use of the word “ Animals “ regarding some of what could be described as “ Far Left “ young protesters the other day , as anything to be rebuked or given a warning for , even if used repeatedly. I have read far worse, week in week out on here by various forum members. 

The tearing down of EC statue in Bristol could be construed as some form of poetic justice given the events of the last few days / weeks. However the defacing of Churchill’s statue was maybe a step too far , even though some may say he had racist views back in the day .

No message stream on this

After discussion about a members post, a moderating decision was made and a post was removed and a warning was given as said above

That's a normal day to day occurrence on a moderated forum.

No big story, warning given to ensure that aware of concerns etc etc ,  member has a choice either accept or don't

However .

Leaving that all aside , all I wanted was to question all about the fairness and openness of both moderation and posting. Who moderators the moderators ?

You have the power to end a discussion,    to stop a thread , and erase the posts in the click of a button. We all say and write things in the heat of the moment, especially where political issues are raised. But we should be able to disagree vehemently with another member or moderator as long it is within the guidelines of the site.

I guess it’s down to how you interpret those rules / guidelines. 

yep bolded bit sums it up

All members have agreed to follow these terms of use and guidelines.

They have been set up to try and offer an enjoyable and worthwhile soul music discussion forum

The moderation is handled by a team, which whenever possible tries to carry out the moderation in a fair and open manner, which I would strongly argue from my viewpoint  has happened here

If anytime any member does have any comments, feedback, criticisms, suggestions, etc etc then there is (and has been for a long time) a open to all forum (this one) set up for such...

What else is there to say?

A guy doesn't agree with a moderation decision, so he leaves...

As said it's a normal occurrence on a moderated forum

It happens

Edited by Mike
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Just to reiterate (As I am one of the team) The points system is simply to make people aware that a post, or wording is against the guide-lines.  Mike doesn't give out these warnings lightly, he always asks the team for our thoughts, and after a (sometimes lengthy) discussion a decision is made considering all of our views.

It's never anything personal - It is to keep the site 'ship shape' and an enjoyable read for all.

If anyone does get any warning points in the future, just stop to think for a moment, read back what you have written, and try to see it from the site's point of view.  More often than not an "Ok fair enough" response is the end of the matter.

Everyone writes things 'heat of the moment' or maybe on a pretty late night (Myself included) As a Moderator, if I wrote something which was against the guide-lines, I too would be pulled up on it by Mike, or another member of the team.

It is a shame when people leave, but moderating action needs to be taken from time to time.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Len / Mike , 

I do understand both the need for moderation and that the moderators themselves are selected from the forums users. 

It may well be that here we are dealing with a highly emotional subject during such unusual emotionally disturbing times , that can magnify something out of all proportion. And I think at least two people will think it’s been quite personal Len. 

However I think there can also be an understanding on both sides of how a preverbal slap on the wrist can be seen or handed out. It depends on how it’s done.  

Like anything maybe it’s a case of how someone reacts to the way they feel they are being dealt with.  

Saying - “A guy doesn't agree with a moderation decision, so he leaves.” Is a little bit unsympathetic to say the least. Is moderation about being sympathetic ? I think it can be if it’s done correctly.

Listen , I’m a relative newbie on here , and don’t profess to know the ins and outs , but I have helped run and moderate a forum before, so I do understand all of the difficulties. 

Again please don’t take my posts as anything personal, I just feel the loss of two valuable contributors of late . 

Steve - Keep safe and well all 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Any feed-back is always welcome Steve - Discussion on issues is healthy.

Cheers,

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I also got an irrevocable warning / yellow card

Not for offensive material, but for material inappropriate to the body of a topic, in the opinion of moderators.

As the moderators say it is what it is.

I guess my next one will be my last one since the first one is permanent. 

2 yellows and your off, kind of thing, no redemption, no matter how many likes you've had, how long you been a member, zippo.

Still, I guess it's the same for everybody.

On a personal viewpoint I think the only controvesy is when non soul subjects crop up.

Having read thousands of non soul subject opinions from hundreds of members, it's clear the only thing I have in common with many is the love of Northern Soul music.

Unless you are told to leave, it's better to just not get involved in non soul subjects, unless of course you say the right things or post the correct links and videos in the eyes of the moderators.

We all joined this forum for soul related discussions. No point in second guessing other peoples political views. 

First me personally I hope nobody leaves the site. Especially the folks who were on the scene on day one, as they have the knowledge that always fills the gaps in detailed research about records, artists, labels, venues, etc.

Ed

UTM

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I also got an irrevocable warning / yellow card

Not for offensive material, but for material inappropriate to the body of a topic, in the opinion of moderators.

ah yep - it was a line dancing video clip from gavin and stacey 
the warning was given as we have spoke  many times previously about similar offtopic posts 👍

As the moderators say it is what it is.

I guess my next one will be my last one since the first one is permanent. 

2 yellows and your off, kind of thing, no redemption, no matter how many likes you've had, how long you been a member, zippo.

Still, I guess it's the same for everybody.

you got the warning system all wrong Ed

can read the info here

warnings are gradual and can be time based, every now and again go thru and get rid of most if not all

cheers

mike

Edited by Mike
updated

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

For info, here's a list of all the site 2020 warnings so far, I make it 9

where not mentioned in this topic have used xxx for member names

the number is the amount of warning points given

if any members wish to discuss their warnings below then feel free to just shout up below 

more than happy to discuss

cheers👍

mike

1 Objectionable content

Joey was warned by Source Team   Yesterday at 11:44

Acknowledged

A warning to ensure that you are aware that your post has been moderated as per the sites guidelines below and

2 Warning

xxx was warned by Source Team   Thursday at 20:00

Acknowledged

warning given for off topic post 

1 Warning

Tomangoes was warned by Source Team   May 30

Acknowledged

off topic post

1 Objectionable content

xxx was warned by Source Team   April 24

Acknowledged

site warning given to ensure that you are aware of the below

7 Objectionable content

xxxx was warned by Source Team   March 14

Not Yet Acknowledged

1 Objectionable content

xxx was warned by Source Team   March 14

Acknowledged

Warning for confrontational posts

1 Objectionable content

xxx was warned by Source Team   March 9

Acknowledged

a site warning given to ensure you are aware of our moderation policy on abusive posts
guidelines and terms of use are quite clear on this

1 Over The Top Promotion

xxx was warned by Source Team   February 9

Acknowledged

warning given to ensure that you are aware that  off topic sex related posts are not welcome

2 Warning

xxx was warned by Source Team   January 10

Acknowledged

have just removed 3 accounts from soul source as all reported as sharing the same device as  this account

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

That's right. A topic had broached the subject of line dancing at soul dos as it was included in the short film that the topic was all about.

There was some comments made by others of how ridiculous it would be to see line dancing at a soul do....and I've never seen it personally.

To add a small element of humour, I added the gavin and stacey clip of line dancing.

Acknowledged we dont all share the same sense of humour. 

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

That's right. A topic had broached the subject of line dancing at soul dos as it was included in the short film that the topic was all about.

There was some comments made by others of how ridiculous it would be to see line dancing at a soul do....and I've never seen it personally.

To add a small element of humour, I added the gavin and stacey clip of line dancing.

Acknowledged we dont all share the same sense of humour. 

Ed

yep that's a fair account Ed 👍

and think my reply to your pm asking about the warning still stands

Morning

you posted an off topic BBC Gavin and Stacey comedy video clip in the main soul forum

Off topic posts are not welcome at the best of times on here and as have spoke to you a fair few times about the quality of your posts and the effect that they have on our main forums, I felt a warning was needed to ensure that you are aware of this

Also no need for you to try and 'diffuse' arguments on here, just look after your own posts

cheers

the thinking is the warnings are tools to inform, make aware and record such things 

all to fit in with the moderation aim of trying to provide an enjoyable/worthwhile forum 

cheers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Mike / Len , 

Thank you for listing the numbers - this is an eye opening, transparent and complete list of information. 

It is always good to know that members can have an open and frank discussion on these matters.

Have any warnings / points ever been rescinded after appeal ? Is there an appeal ? I’ve been trying to get my red card taken off for nearly a year at my 5 a side football team. No luck there . ( joking ) 

Edited by Stevegods

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Some of the sentiments being expressed here, are very similar to the one's I expressed in this section, a few weeks ago. It's nice to see others have the same concerns. 

Nobody has had as much stick on the threads on here as I have over the years, including abuse and even thinly veiled threats of violence, especially on the various Brexit threads. I don't remember many people being sanctioned when it was happening. I don't believe I have abused or threatened anyone, although I may have fired back a few harsh words, after being "attacked" occasionally. Yet I have been warned/sanctioned on numerous occasions, so like it or not Mike, the perception that moderation does seem one sided at times is quite valid. 

The last 3 topics, that were bound to get political, George Floyd, Current affairs and Boris/Dud, were all started by the site team. It's been weeks since a member started a political topic on here. Like me, most of them probably think it's pointless because an open, frank discussion that allows points of view from all sides appears not to be allowed anymore. If you don't want politics on here just ban it altogether, as many forums do. Although why members cannot discuss stuff in a private members area, no matter how vigorous the debate, is beyond me. It's not like guests can see it and be put off joining the site, or even members unless they specifically enter that section. Do members actually object to some of the posts and report them ?, if so perhaps you should publish them occasionally, people might get a better understanding of the problems moderators have.

Don't think I'm grinding my axe here, I'm actually trying to help make the site accommodate everybody and every topic.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Above every post on the right hand side is a 'button' to flag / report a post that anyone has concern with.  Every single time that happens, the issue is discussed with the team, and action taken if deemed necessary.

So yes, members object to some of the posts / wording and report them - I don't think it a good idea to publish these.  I believe they should be kept private or people will be reluctant to share their concerns.

Moderation is not one sided - As said, we have lengthy discussions before any decision is made on action taken.  The details (whole story) are really only known to those involved, and more often than not people except the 'just so aware' warning and everyone moves on (As they should do)

Most things can be discussed as long as respect for others is up-held etc (As per the guide-lines)

Any concerns - Remember to 'flag' em :wink:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
44 minutes ago, Len said:

o yes, members object to some of the posts / wording and report them - I don't think it a good idea to publish these.  I believe they should be kept private or people will be reluctant to share their concerns.

Can't you do it anonymously ?.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
8 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Can't you do it anonymously ?.

You mean to give people a better understanding, publish the flagged posts and reasons given, but leaving the person's name who flagged it out - I expect that is something that could be considered.

Most flagged posts do tend to coincide with the guide-lines (Offensive wording etc)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

Some of the sentiments being expressed here, are very similar to the one's I expressed in this section, a few weeks ago. It's nice to see others have the same concerns. 

Nobody has had as much stick on the threads on here as I have over the years, including abuse and even thinly veiled threats of violence, especially on the various Brexit threads. I don't remember many people being sanctioned when it was happening. I don't believe I have abused or threatened anyone, although I may have fired back a few harsh words, after being "attacked" occasionally. Yet I have been warned/sanctioned on numerous occasions, so like it or not Mike, the perception that moderation does seem one sided at times is quite valid. 

here are,

some of the moderation requests via pm I have made to you in the past

Kegsy, xxxx

have started a new brexit topic

This time around asking can you two sack the many confrontational posts

There were just too many and too argumentative, damages the topic and does has a negative effect on the rest of site

Suggest if needed you take your arguments to pms

thanks

mike

-----------------------------------------------------

you seem to flood every current affairs topics with countless posts/replies

with no thought of effect the amount has that they have on the site, the forum or other members posts

just post your view and leave it at that

do feel your posts style and amount are damaging the forums/topics and if needed will take action to prevent this

------------------------------

whats with the repeated argumentive posting style

every time you go down this road trashing current affairs topics with these sort of posts

enough is enough

make your point then leave it at that

any repeat of the last topic and i will take action

-------------------------------------

I do feel that the amount and style of your posts are and have been damaging current affair topics

no need for countless posts/points/replies, 

asking you to lower the amount considerably

post your view by all means  but  then wait a fair while longer before getting back to any replies

give others a chance to read, post, reply etc

look at that last topic before closing the same 3 or 4 people posting non stop

it's been like this with current affair topics every time we try and get decent discussion going and like it or not you are nearly always one of the main posters/reasons who cause these attempts to fail

this time around the forum is staying, if need can restrict access to people who feel are damaging it and see if that works

----------------------------------------------------------------------

sure said this many times to you over the years

we are not set up for dealing with heavy political discussion, it does have a negative effect on the rest of forum

the quantity and style of your posts does lead to heavy political discussion on here

no real wish to take action on your account but do have to look at protecting the forums

if you can drop off for 36 hours from all virus related topics

then lower the quality and intensity of future virus related posts

it may help avoid future actions

cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ffs 

you have read and replied to these pms

given that, yet you still think fit to post  a reply to a member who I have just given a warning to for his attack on you

so even after taking the time to pm you and request your assistance and then explain to you

you just crack on, stirring the trouble

ok so be it

post removed,

your account is now on hold

will get back to you in 72 hours

thanks a lot!

--------------------------

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 minutes ago, Mike said:

some of the moderation requests via pm I have made to you in the past

Kegsy, xxxx

The thing is, did the people on the threads consider my posts argumentative/confrontational, or that I was posting too often or generally spoiling the thread as you say?. Because they were the only ones who it should have bothered and they should have reported the post(s) for moderation. If none of the people posting asked for moderation, why moderate ?.  As has been eluded to earlier, it often seems that some moderation takes place when what is being said rubs the moderator up the wrong way or doesn't conform to their view of the world.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

when confronted with constant argumentative posts most people just tune out and leave, rather asking for moderation

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hi Kegsy,

Surely you can see that if a thread is swamped by just a handful of people going back and fourth, other people simply lose interest?

I suppose in answer to your question - Not all action is sanctioned because someone has flagged a post.  Action is taken if we (as a team) think something is having a negative effect.

Edit - soulhawk's post above confirms this.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

This thread makes really interesting reading.

Please may I say something?

As an observation and a suggestion, after having read the way in which the moderators take issue with people who have posted inappropriate material.  The language the moderators use is pretty confrontational and threatening too, if I may say so?  The tone is quite aggressive and I'm quite surprised to be honest.  It makes it feel like a classroom, it's just a soul forum, run by adults, for adults?  I can see why people feel they have to leave?  It's humiliating to be addressed like that.  "You stupid boy, Pike!", comes to mind.  I hope I never get moderated in that way; I'd definitely cry. 

The word "Warning" is also quite extreme I feel.  Maybe the word "reminder" or "polite reminder", would be better?  

I also think it's not necessarily the contributors that need moderating, in so much as the topics?  This is a soul forum. It's not the place for political rants surely?  Everyone gets passionate and cross about politics.  It's always going to end in tears for someone.  Someone is bound to let their political passions rule their sensibility in the throes of debate? It's a recipe for disaster.  This is a soul forum.  Would you be rowing with your soul mates and falling out about the colour of Boris Johnson's tie at a soul do? No. You'd realise the situation was getting heated and agree to get two pints and whiskey chasers instead.  Wouldn't you?  A much nicer way to extend the hand of friendship on the soul scene. 

I just think, if you put a boxing ring out, people are going to fight in it.

Maybe I'm just an idealist? Peace and love. 👍🏼

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
27 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

This thread makes really interesting reading.

Please may I say something?

As an observation and a suggestion, after having read the way in which the moderators take issue with people who have posted inappropriate material.  The language the moderators use is pretty confrontational and threatening too, if I may say so?  The tone is quite aggressive and I'm quite surprised to be honest.  It makes it feel like a classroom, it's just a soul forum, run by adults, for adults?  I can see why people feel they have to leave?  It's humiliating to be addressed like that.  "You stupid boy, Pike!", comes to mind.  I hope I never get moderated in that way; I'd definitely cry. 

yep some food for thought there

my style of online posting is clipped and yep can see how/why it may seem the way that you describe

however do ask that bear in mind that the above posts I quoted are from pms that may have been done at speed and/or heated situations

The word "Warning" is also quite extreme I feel.  Maybe the word "reminder" or "polite reminder", would be better?  

not really doable - it wouldnt really work without a lot of changes

I also think it's not necessarily the contributors that need moderating, in so much as the topics?  This is a soul forum. It's not the place for political rants surely?  Everyone gets passionate and cross about politics.  It's always going to end in tears for someone.  Someone is bound to let their political passions rule their sensibility in the throes of debate? It's a recipe for disaster.  This is a soul forum.  Would you be rowing with your soul mates and falling out about the colour of Boris Johnson's tie at a soul do? No. You'd realise the situation was getting heated and agree to get two pints and whiskey chasers instead.  Wouldn't you?  A much nicer way to extend the hand of friendship on the soul scene. 

fair point, and again food for thought

do we need a current affairs/political forum?
I have always thought is needed to enable us to have the off topic freebasing forum
as in it acts an overflow, somewhere to take serious things when needed

I just think, if you put a boxing ring out, people are going to fight in it.

Maybe I'm just an idealist? Peace and love. 👍🏼

anyways thanks for passing on views/thoughts 

apologies for the rushed tone/manner 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Just have a look back over the topics that you've spent most of your time 'moderating' .

I suspect that with most forums the ones that take up most of your precious time will be those that are unrelated to the forums main area of interest   (i.e. on here soul music but applies equally on every other topic specific forum ) but will be threads of a 'political' nature whether it be Br***t , COVID , BLM , or any of hundreds of 'current affairs topics.

Simple answer in my opinion is to dump the off-topic arena and reduce your workload significantly by letting those who wish to 'discuss/argue about/fight over' such matters bugger off elsewhere for their fix , there are thousands of sites out there that cater for these very subjects , many of which are un-moderated and are a fabulous free for all if you like that sort of thing .

Most of the other subject specific sites I'm on banned threads on Br***t / COVID / BLM after a very short time and they are much happier places for it. 

As the old wisdom says "Common etiquette says not to talk about politics, sex, religion, or money. But these are the most interesting things to discuss! " , just let folk who wish to have their anonymous rants do it somewhere more appropriate . 

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, soulhawk said:

when confronted with constant argumentative posts most people just tune out and leave, rather asking for moderation

1 hour ago, Len said:

Hi Kegsy,

Surely you can see that if a thread is swamped by just a handful of people going back and fourth, other people simply lose interest?

I suppose in answer to your question - Not all action is sanctioned because someone has flagged a post.  Action is taken if we (as a team) think something is having a negative effect.

Edit - soulhawk's post above confirms this.

I suppose it depends on the contents of the posts, if two people are just slagging each other off etc. then others will lose interest, fair enough.

If the content is about the issue, accurate, factual and a genuine opinion, it will enhance the discussion, even though it may appear argumentative or dominate the thread for a period. This is whole point of debate/discussion, all opinions are/can be aired, then people can make up there minds on the subject and also learn a few things along the way. Sometimes two people who are well versed in the subject may dominate a thread, as others just want to let them get on with it and maybe learn something, imagine Robbk and Ian Levine discussing Motown, who would want to get involved with that ?.

Another reason people lose interest and leave the thread is quite simply their argument just doesn't stand up. I've seen it loads of times. Often what's posted exposes their long held beliefs/opinions as complete nonsense with no basis in fact. For example I can't remember how many times I've told a so called Christian, that Muslims worship the same God as he does. It really messes with the heads of some of them, they either slag you off big style or go very quiet and withdraw from the discussion. The other one is when you put right the "we won the war brigade" by pointing out the Russians/U.S.A. weren't just there for the trip.

There are many reasons why people stop posting on threads.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

so you think that because people tire of arguing that means you 'won'?

interesting takeaway 🤔

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Where did I say that ?. I'm not that bothered about winning or losing an argument, I just want discussions to be accurate and factual so that people may learn something, even if it is against what they believe. There are too many people in this world who hold entrenched opinions, that bear no scrutiny, and are based on lies or half truths. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

there is an old saying - dating back to the Book of Proverbs

'argue with a fool and there are two'

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Ha ha.

I've read that book. It's full of advice and guidance. 

Does not define fool though, that's a presumption, or summation.

Therefore who is the fool?

Can a person who graduated from oxbridge or ivy league, be a fool?

Did not the young Bush discuss the definition of fool? Fool me once...fool me twice etc.

Only word play really.

Kegsy is always forthright with his input. Genuine and sincere. I've never met him or even spoke to him.

He ain't no fool. Obviously in my opinion, which is just that, an opinion, which is all that kegsy is asking for to be able to Express an opinion.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"

classic

I wasn't necessarily calling Kegsy a fool, but explaining why some people would rather not continue to argue and leave. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

But where is the defining line between arguing and debating? Are they not one and the same in reality.

When it gets to the point of intranginsance, is it better just to agree to disagree?

Obviously not for everybody .....but it is an option to prevent asking the same question in a different way repetitively.

Ed

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

“But where is the defining line between arguing and debating? Are they not one and the same in reality.”

Subjective maybe , but the use of language , how something is phrased CAPITALS ... but the issue with the written word in posts is that things can sometimes be taken out if context - or read without the writers initial meaning or intention .

As for the moderation - it can be the way it is delivered or perceived by the original poster - some may see it as dictatorial / abrupt / personal in the way it is written , however right the warranted warnings may be .  

At least one thing has happened, more members have entered the discussion and I’m glad to see that , I was feeling a bit paranoid and waiting for a backlash 😜

Keep safe all and remember in the end - we are all here because of a huge passion  for the same kind of music , be kind to one another even when we disagree ! 

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
31 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

But where is the defining line between arguing and debating? Are they not one and the same in reality.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The nicest debates...were when different artists recorded the same song, and members chose their favourite...

I was always right of course in my choice...but not everybody agreed.....

Ed

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 hours ago, soulhawk said:

there is an old saying - dating back to the Book of Proverbs

'argue with a fool and there are two'

I prefer this;

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

My 2p....

Political type 'discussion' is often futile on this type of forum.

There will usually never be a right or wrong answer.... it's always shades of grey.

But many people are entrenched in their viewpoint (due to their life experiences and ideals) and get frustrated that others don't see it their way. 

It's therefore usually going to end in conflict and disharmony.

This will then put some people off, who come to a forum for some enjoyment and to get away from the world of depressing 24h news. Often at odds with longstanding members - who know each other well - and are happy with some robust discussion (like having a chat with friends in the local). 

So the ultimate question is, do forums allow it (and ergo endless moderation) or just ban it? 

Encourage new members, or upset longstanding members? 

Overriding all of this is the increasing legal responsibilities of the site owners/moderators.

Tough decision, which makes being a forum moderator akin to being a Sunday league referee. 

All imo...... which counts for zippo 😁

Edited by Fish Fingers
Typo
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Great reply - and totally understand that, and agree with all of the above. 

However I would just maybe ask that it can sometimes be how you moderate and how you transmit that moderation to members.  

It was very good of Mike to maybe reflect on some of his PM’s and acknowledge this .

“yep some food for thought there

my style of online posting is clipped and yep can see how/why it may seem the way that you describe

however do ask that bear in mind that the above posts I quoted are from pms that may have been done at speed and/or heated situations

apologies for the rushed tone/manner “

and I would suggest that this could be a catalyst for a member thinking he is possibly being singled out or belittled. 

Like in Sunday League football , it’s how you Ref a deal with a game that counts , but you are right Fish F , you will always have disagreements. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
21 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Great reply - and totally understand that, and agree with all of the above. 

However I would just maybe ask that it can sometimes be how you moderate and how you transmit that moderation to members.  

It was very good of Mike to maybe reflect on some of his PM’s and acknowledge this .

“yep some food for thought there

apologies for the rushed tone/manner “

and I would suggest that this could be a catalyst for a member thinking he is possibly being singled out or belittled. 

Like in Sunday League football , it’s how you Ref a deal with a game that counts , but you are right Fish F , you will always have disagreements. 

On 10/06/2020 at 22:30, Stevegods said:

“But where is the defining line between arguing and debating? Are they not one and the same in reality.”

Subjective maybe , but the use of language , how something is phrased CAPITALS ... but the issue with the written word in posts is that things can sometimes be taken out if context - or read without the writers initial meaning or intention .

As for the moderation - it can be the way it is delivered or perceived by the original poster - some may see it as dictatorial / abrupt / personal in the way it is written , however right the warranted warnings may be .  

At least one thing has happened, more members have entered the discussion and I’m glad to see that , I was feeling a bit paranoid and waiting for a backlash 😜

Keep safe all and remember in the end - we are all here because of a huge passion  for the same kind of music , be kind to one another even when we disagree ! 

yep good points

thanks for your thoughts on moderation, as said earlier your concerns have been noted

cheers

mike

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Site Support - Support Forum

Site related support and feedback forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. 99p Start Fay Simmons, Dee Dee Sharp, Nature Boys, Holly Maxwell,
    Sale Websites by soul45s on Tue 29 Jun 2010
    • 1 / 297
    • soul45s on 29 Jun 2010
  2. Hudson County / Act One / Force Of Nature
    Record Sales by donkit on Sat 22 Jun 2013
    • 1 / 343
    • donkit on 22 Jun 2013
    • 1 / 1252
    • on 19 Jan 2004
  3. Nature Boys - Watch Yourself
    Record Sales by soul45s on Sat 04 Oct 2014
    • 1 / 729
    • soul45s on 04 Oct 2014
  4. Nature Boys - Watch Yourself
    Record Wants by nitram on Sun 29 Jan 2017
    • 2 / 471
    • randy on 30 Jan 2017

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.