Pookie Hudson - Rip

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bad news this Dave. I had a real soft spot for Pookie. I saw him perform at Hemsby with The Spaniels 20 something years ago and he was superb.

I will admit now to being the one who wrote 'Pookie Hudson is God' on the basement wall of 'Record And Tape Exchange' in Pembridge Rd, Notting Hill in 1979.

RIP Pookie Hudson.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Through thia I offer my consolations to you and yours.

I am totally gutted.

Pookie my friend, your two and a half minutes of soul perfection gave me hundreds of hours of total happiness.

'The way you hang your head to understand what I say. . . . '

Rest in Peace, a friend I never met.

Rob

Social source share

Likewise Mikey......

" This Gets To Me " made me to want to hear more of James ' Pookie ' Hudson , and as a result of the wanting , I was lead to discovering and enjoying his work as lead singer of The Spaniels. As a lover of doo - wop , I was aware of The Spaniels , but only from their classic " Goodnight Sweetheart , Goodnight " .

I am glad that I did ; for that trek of discovery lead me to enjoying such tracks as " ( You Gave Me ) Piece Of Mind " , " Red Sails In The Sunset " and " Three Little Words " amongst others . The Spaniels are now one of my favourite listening pleasures .

Thanks Pookie .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Nice obituary of Pookie in today's New York Times FYI

In " The Independent " too, interesting to find out how his nickname came about....I cut out and keep obituaries of anyone connected to R&B/soul/jazz/funk...all genres of Black American Music in fact, been doing it for years....only now it's becoming more regular, which is to be expected of course, but it's always sad to turn to the obituaries and see a face or name that's been a part of your life through the music they made......like yesterday, along with a pic of Thornton James " Pookie " Hudson, in his prime.....R I P.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!