Pete S

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pete,

I thought that was a record that will go with plays. As you say danceable.

R&B's a strange thing. I used to go drinking in Doncaster on Thursday nights, early 80's. They had a Rock & Roll night in the Black Bull near the market. I had never heard of any of the records played. All the mates just went to take the piss out of the dancing / music. Some of the records played there twigged somewhere inside, "I could dance "northern" to this, but not in here".

Where the dividing lines between rock & roll / R&B / northern soul, lies, who knows?

I do know I find myself becoming more interested in earlier music rather than later 70's /80's things, appreciating its simplicity & honesty and lack of technical tricks. What you hear, is what they sang/played. Some of this is quite raw and Lo-Fi. That all adds to it for me.

I don't think we got to the bottom of this on an earlier thread.

Social source share

Thats an interesting reply actually because the same has been happening to me, though with me I've been listening to a type of music I never thought I'd get into - blues. It's only a specific type of blues though, I think it's like early 50's rock'n'roll like Rocket 88, Jimmy Reed, 'Combination Boogie', sort of hard driving uptempo blues. Some guy made his entire R&B collection available via the bit torrent network so I downloaded it and there are several hundred tracks, ranging from early rock n roll, New orleans, Sax players, Girl vocals, Doo wop and so on...a real voyage of discovery for me.

Avaialble on a bootleg mp3 disc from me very shortly :D

Social source share

This is an interesting topic. I've always been interested in when a music style starts. When did rhythm and blues become soul? Not even sure when we started calling it soul. I started going out with my wife in 1966 and I'm certain we called the places we went to r&b clubs, but the word soul was in use then definitely. I think it was originally used in the jazz world, perhaps an LP called Genius + Soul = Jazz by Ray Charles or a similar title.

What is the first recognisable soul record? Jerry Butler's For Your Precious Love, or something by Little Willie John or early Sam Cooke?

Lately I've heard tracks by doo wop groups that were trying to get hits in the early 60s by going for a contemporary style, e.g. Del Vikings, etc.

I came into black music via rock'n'roll while at junior school. Saw Little Richard and Chuck Berry, etc in r&r movies, and discovered that a lot of the songs by Elvis, etc were originally by black singers. Just made me interested in hearing the originals. And it is only in the last few years that I've heard some of those old tracks.

I've not downloaded the Buster Brown track yet, will do it at home. Certainly used to hear his Fannie Mae track in the old days.

If you like Rocket 88 there are some really good compilations around with jump blues on them. I will look forward to your CD of MP3s.

Social source share

Just downloaded Buster Brown, not bad, could be danced to at a more R&B orientated night. I am no expert on his records but it does sound newer than the ones I know, they were much more bluesy, although uptempo. Didn't have a girl chorus, etc.

link

I can't find it any discography to be honest but I'm pretty sure it pre-dates his releases on the Fire label.

Social source share

Its from 63 after Fire. I got mine from Danny Flash's on West Adams in LA in the mid 70s.

I'm just writing the note to the 6TS Story Vol 1 and I remembered how we used to go down Gaz's (Mayall, John's son!) Rockin Blues club from 1980 onwards dancing to what we called black Rock and Roll. That's where things like Daddy Cleanhead 'Somethings Going On In My Room' and Bull Moose Jackson 'Big 10 Inch' came from and eventually got played at 6Ts evening dos.

Social source share

That's where things like Daddy Cleanhead 'Somethings Going On In My Room' and Bull Moose Jackson 'Big 10 Inch' came from and eventually got played at 6Ts evening dos.

link

I'd love to hear this sort of stuff played. Much better than awful records like 'Clock thats got no hands'

You're right about the Fire records, last one 1962, looks like he made a comeback in 1969 on White Whale!

Social source share

Its from 63 after Fire. I got mine from Danny Flash's on West Adams in LA in the mid 70s.

I'm just writing the note to the 6TS Story Vol 1 and I remembered how we used to go down Gaz's (Mayall, John's son!) Rockin Blues club from 1980 onwards dancing to what we called black Rock and Roll. That's where things like Daddy Cleanhead 'Somethings Going On In My Room' and Bull Moose Jackson 'Big 10 Inch' came from and eventually got played at 6Ts evening dos.

link

<< Daddy Cleanhead 'Somethings Going On In My Room' and Bull Moose Jackson 'Big 10 Inch' >>

I assume these will be on the Cd Ady. ???

I don't think I've heard these, so I'll have to buy it. :D

Social source share

<< Daddy Cleanhead 'Somethings Going On In My Room' and Bull Moose Jackson 'Big 10 Inch' >>

I assume these will be on the Cd Ady. ???

I don't think I've heard these, so I'll have to buy it.  :D

link

Sorry there were about 100 serious contenders to choose from and they didn't make the cut, but there are other similar items that I hope you'll like.

I know we've got Daddy Cleanhead on an Ace CD and probably Bull Moose too. Go to www.acerecords.com and interogate the site.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!