Sonny Til on Clown

Keamus

I’ve owned what looks like a mint- copy for a few years. Always played ok up until last week when I noticed a couple of tiny skips in the record. Nothing very noticeable, but still annoying on what looks like a very clean copy. 

So a few questions. Has anyone else come across this problem and more importantly any tips on how it could be fixed?
I know that most / all copies are pressed slightly off centre and there are a few dimples in the vinyl. Could either of these affect how the record plays?

Occupational hazard I know collecting records, but that bit more annoying given that it’s not one that’s easily replaced.

All answers appreciated!

Cheers

Keamus

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

If it's played OK for years maybe your stylus is set up wrong. A friend of mine was having sound problems and skipping on his record deck and we noticed the stylus had twisted a bit, instead of pointing straight down in the 6 o'clock position it had moved left slightly. Just 1mm out made a massive difference.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've heard about the toothpick treatment, but never been brave enough to try it for myself. Guess the thing to do is to practice on a disc of no value or already damaged. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Keamus
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!