Can you help?

Hi All,

I am hoping there is someone who has a very kind heart to help me with pricing my collection of vinyl records. I find myself in dire straits and, no doubt there many others in the same situation too, and very reluctantly have to sell my record collection, spanning 30 years from the 70's to the 90's.  Born  in 1963, I grew up with Tamla Motown, Soul, Northern Soul and all the music genres thereafter – Disco, Funk, Hi-Energy, and all the different sounds of House music (RIP Tony DeVit 😪 ). The thought of having to lose a major part of my life, is truly heart wrenching,  I have no option.   I have no idea the value of the records I have, and would really appreciate some guidance. I am currently creating a catalogue, which when completed (probably be a fortnight to finish), I could then send for your guidance. If anyone is interested, please reply to this post, and can go from there.

Thank you for taking the time to read my unfortunate circumstances, and look forward to hearing from any who might be interested

regards

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi, sorry to read about your current situation and decision to part with your record collection.

I would suggest scouring the internet, eBay or discogs in order to find prices if you plan on selling them individually, to try to achieve raising as much value as possible, or seek out a dealer to give a price for the lot to avoid disappointment in not being able to move all of them once they've been cherry picked. 

You could try Terry at MrTees, in Kidderminster either through Facebook or telephone he specializes in all aspects of soul and dance etc and is fair when it comes to purchasing collections, I hope that is of some help all the best. 

Social source share

there are a few dealers on here that buy collections, depends where you are located I suppose due to weight, try Pete Smith at Planet Records , or some of those with shops, including those on ebay or discogs

if selling individually, you need a list with price , condition , label , original or boot or reissue etc

I would be surprised if a private collector bought the collection, most tend to buy individually and cherry pick like I tend to do

its up to you really , but definitely check discogs , musicstack and ebay for prices

Social source share

I hope you can find the time to check the web.All price ranges are still selling on Discogs for instance at the moment.Its easy to do as well.

If however you need to sell all immediately think about getting somebody to sell for a percentage.

You would probably make more than selling them to a dealer outright.

There are some great and fair dealers who will be recommended to you on here but it will come down to the value and desirability of your collection.

Good Luck

Social source share

Sell the rarest first as you may get enough money  for what you need without getting rid of the lot.

You could also sell any that have been boot legged or are on cd so you can get cheap copies to listen to.

Dont expect to get anywhere near market value if you sell quickly in bulk, when I tried to sell some a while back I was offered as little as 30/40 percent of market value, not book value

Social source share

Couple of options Andy... 1) join the FB group "Rare Soul Valuations" and 2) check out historical eBay sales on popsike.com.  You'll need to be very clear about the provenance of your vinyl, ie original release, legal reissue or bootleg.. FB group "Rare Soul Talk" can help with that.  Good luck and sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Cheers......... Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!