Fish Fingers

Are young uns nowadays environmentally aware?

Posted (edited)

Cards on table....never had kids, hence asking question on here, as I am genuinely confused about this issue.

I suppose the question is about 2 different age groups. School age kids and then young adults. 

On the one hand, we see Greta Thunberg types who seem incredibly switched on about environmental (ESG) issues. Protests etc blaming older generation (us) for being unethical dinosaurs. 

But all I see in my world is kids who don't recycle, just chuck all their litter around wherever they are. In fact diametrically opposed. 

All brought into focus recently with lockdown. Walked through the (countryside, rural) area where we live to playing fields where middle class kids have been congregating and it is a sea of discarded carrier bags, bottles, gas cannisters, McD wrappers etc. Its a disgrace. They used to congregate outside the shops prior to lockdown and that is always the same there. 

And as for the aftermath of the recent illegal raves nearby (pic) it's an absolute cesspit. 

And yet my young nephew and niece collect litter for recycling. 

So what's going on? 

Is it an age thing? 

Is it a class/background thing? 

Are they one end of the spectrum or the other, no middle ground? 

I would be genuinely interested to hear any input, especially from those with kids. 

*Not sure if this should be in current affairs? Please move if necessary. 

2_MEN_Illegal-Rave-clean-up-04.jpg

Edited by Fish Fingers
Typos

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Kids with no respect for anything and anyone.  Two things that are to blame.  Parents and the politically  correct world where for example you can't be a loser just a runner up , allowing things like gender neutral,  either male or female there isn't a third gender. This country in particular needs to get a grip on reality 

My kids where brought up to say please and thank you,  respect for their elders,  understanding of nature,  dont drop litter, stand up for themselves either verbally or with fists, don't bully people who are not as secure or as strong.  The same ethics and morals as my parents taught me 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 8

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hi, I totally agree with you steve. I think the laws of average with the age groups means that some just don't bother and others do. When us oldies grew up we didn't have mc Donald's, kebab places etc etc. Just visit Blackpool at night after the soul doo it's a dump. I go for a lot of walks near where I live, and the amount of doggy pooh bags thrown in the trees by elderly and young people is shocking. And yet we have had dogs for a long time, the laws of average like i said 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Kids with no respect for anything and anyone.  Two things that are to blame.  Parents and the politically  correct world where for example you can't be a loser just a runner up , allowing things like gender neutral,  either male or female there isn't a third gender. This country in particular needs to get a grip on reality 

My kids where brought up to say please and thank you,  respect for their elders,  understanding of nature,  dont drop litter, stand up for themselves either verbally or with fists, don't bully people who are not as secure or as strong.  The same ethics and morals as my parents taught me 

Well Said  👍

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I'm pshe lead at my school. The litter and environmental work tends to be with younger kids when the're enthusiastic. By the time they are in the teen years it's revert to type, if they had it from their parents it's instilled. Learning starts at home and the learning  your receive from parents remains when all else is forgotten.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I had no learning from any of my parents, my school days were pretty crap especially the teachers. I remember getting thumped in the stomach by a teacher just because I couldnt find my lesson on the first day. But that didn't stop me having morals, there is too much emphasis on kids doing well, instead of just doing your best. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I think a lot of them have no idea never had kids but 3 1/2 years ago had to take parental responsibility for our niece and nephew due to bereavmant of both parents no trouble with litter or anything like that niece is pretty good and switched on will walk to where she needs to go if She can, works part time as well as college,  and has carved a niche for herself now lives with her friend and will be 18 in a month, whereas nephew couldn't be lazier he will have sweets and chocolate delivered by amazon rather than walk to the shops less than 10 mins walk also before lockdown if we were out and he had money for takeaway he will have it delivered even though all are within a sort walk other than McDonalds.  the last time he had his bike out was a year ago also this is my biggest bugbear if left to his own devices would not get up before 3 or 4 pm and just play computer games he only leaves his room to get a drink or a snack. he lasted 3 months at McDonalds before being furloughed after 1st payment they sacked him.this was down to the fact he ditched loads of shifts at the last minute.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Is There Still Such A Thing As Northern Soul Nowadays?
    All About The Soul by ajb on Sat 17 Jan 2009
    • 7 / 597
    • Dennisoul on 18 Jan 2009
  2. Any Opinions To What These Fetch Nowadays?
    Look At Your Box by still diggin on Sat 10 Jan 2015
    • 1 / 585
    • still diggin on 10 Jan 2015
  3. You'd Never Get Away With It Nowadays
    All About The Soul by Bicks on Mon 12 Jan 2009
    • 74 / 2852
    • kathdj on 13 Jan 2009
  4. Records You Miss Hearing Played Out Nowadays
    Look At Your Box by 123-motown on Fri 01 Jun 2012
    • 2 / 526
    • dthedrug on 01 Jun 2012
  5. Is The Northern Soul Scene Too Stifling Nowadays?
    All About The Soul by Simon on Wed 06 Feb 2008
    • 22 / 2165
    • jocko on 11 Feb 2008

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.