Michael Bailey

Proposed survey

I would like to survey people on this site, about their specific interests, their demographics, etc. I am curious, and I suspect everyone would be. I have begun a survey but am in the early stages. Others could suggest content. And I would be happy to have administrators look at a survey before posting. I am writing here to ask permission, and for guidance about how to proceed. Thanks.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

hi Michael

best to pm me with details

cheers

mike

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Here's a polite and courteous "No thank you" from me , exactly the response you will get should you approach me in the street with a clipboard under your arm ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

And a polite no from me as well.. although I will admit to liking soul music ( but as I am on soul source it's a bit of a give away)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Happy to participate, depending on purpose.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks to everyone. Mike, I'll pm you. This is an opportunity to everyone to know more about our community. (I'm a NOLA collector, and wonder why not everyone is.) 

Roughly, here are some of the things I have in mind:

Areas of interest: What do you collect (genre)? What do you collect (Format: 45s, LPs, 78s, CDs, etc.)? 

Why do you collect? Are you a DJ? How long have you been collecting? Do you collect outside soul? Do you collect stuff besides music? (Is there a collecting gene?)

Demographics: How old are you? What is your political leaning? What is your sex? (Will we get any non-males?)

Investment/financial: How much money do you spend a year on records? What's the most you've ever spent? What is the range of cost you would consider?

Fun stuff: What is your "holy grail" record? 

Stuff I'm particularly interested in: Where do you store your records? What times are you away from your residence? Do you have a dog? What is your address? (Just kidding!!!!)

But this can be a group project. I'd be happy to have ideas of what else people would want to know.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Are you wanting to do this just for the benefit and interest of the forum, or are the results to be used elsewhere? 

If the former, could it be done in the form of a Poll/series of polls to maintain anonymity? 

Btw, sorry but I don't know what a NOLA Collector is? 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Typo
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sorry but I am not at all keen on this.

If I want to know anything about someone I might look at their site profile. I looked at yours and there's absolutely nothing there. For 'gender' you have stated "not telling", the rest is blank.

Count me out.

- Kev

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Btw, sorry but I don't know what a NOLA Collector is? 

NOLA = New Orleans, Louisiana.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Fish Fingers: Just for the benefit of the forum. Certainly not for publication. (Who would be interested but us?)

Kevinkent: I'm not trying to hide anything. When I joined I probably didn't take the time to add anything, because I was trying to buy a record in a hurry. You're right though that it would probably be a good idea to add some information. I'm a guy, btw.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Just added some info to my profile. 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Michael Bailey said:

Kevinkent: I'm not trying to hide anything. When I joined I probably didn't take the time to add anything, because I was trying to buy a record in a hurry. You're right though that it would probably be a good idea to add some information. I'm a guy, btw.

That's a fair enough reply. I just thought it was a bit ironic, is all. I do think though that most of what you will be asking is the sort of stuff that comes out in conversation, either outside venues or in the forums on this site. I'd sooner have a bit of banter and chit chat than do a survey. Besides, I've already given out far too much info on myself on this site and others. Lol.

Good luck if you pursue it though.  

- Kev

Edited by Kevinkent
Corrections to pre-emptive text
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I'm sure this is meant well, however a survey on people's musical preferences - possibly but all this shown in bold copied from your email is to me, a definite NO.

Demographics: How old are you? What is your political leaning? What is your sex? (Will we get any non-males?)

Investment/financial: How much money do you spend a year on records? What's the most you've ever spent? What is the range of cost you would consider?

I'm don't want to feel suspicious, I'm not that kind of person. I envisage I'm overreacting but asking precise questions about people can unsettle us all these days. Asking about politics - absolutely no way. We're unified by music, but possibly less else than might be envisaged.  This forum is usually a haven of only Soul related talk - that's mostly enough. From there we find each other and have PMs/FB elsewhere to get further into the discussions. Getting into other areas of life is tricky and opens up for argument as we have seen before here, at preceding Soul groups and at such as Facebook.  We can end up feeling aggreived at someone we really liked in their posts, which is a shame.

Can I just suggest this sounds like it is going to open up a range of issues - just post up a topc instead and say 'I like like NOLA and wonder if you do/why you don't. It doesn't need a survey. 

In fact, you already have done that on New Orleans and Louisana Music already and a number of us have replied - me multiple times. We all like different music within Soul - surely that's enough, no survey needed.

I appreciate your passion for the NOLA subject and share it that area.  However people here aren't into New Orleans and Louisana music generally, it specifically related to Rhythm & Blues / Soul and within that, specific sub-genres, eras, tempos.

Others of us might of had more intense, sometimes difficult experiences online that make us a touch more cautious.  I do not even give out my name anymore on public groups (I've had some online experiences that escalated to significant police involvement against others and have a separate business life). 

I appreciate your intentions seem positive, but let's keep it to chat if we can.

Edited by Thinksmart
I realised the person had already posted about NOLA music already and added that into my reply.
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Because of the overwhelming lack of enthusiasm (to put it mildly) to a survey of this kind, I have decided not to pursue it. Instead, I've decided to hire a private detective to get the information I seek.

p.s. Joke!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Perhaps put up a topic instead. I'll be  happy to share where my interest emerged from

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thinksmart, I am interested in the following question for reasons I'll provide below:

How old are you? (not you in particular, but people on the list)

Reason: I'm wondering if younger people (I'm 62!) are into this. This will help me in planning what to do with my collection. Is this going to be okay to poll? If so, where?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Michael, for most people on this forum, New Orleans and Lousianna Soul music interest relates to those tracks played originally on the UK Northern Soul and related dance scenes.  Value tends to relate to whether it is a play on that scene, the rarity, whether an original/demo/DJ copy, condition and the like. There are also collectors for slower Deep Soul too and in USA the slow music Low Rider scene.  Of course other fora and scenes also cover much wider interest in such as pure Disco, blues, Funk and these are touched on here, but far less. So this Forum centres around Northern Soul interest predominantly, which followed on in its own right with a partial evolution from the UK Mod scene.  The original Mod scene enjoyed New Orleans R&B/Soul such as Benny Spellman, Irma Thomas and many others - but not generally focusing on rarity as everything was rare in the early 1960s whether major label or not.

The Northern Soul scene was at its peak of interest during an approximately range of 1970 to early 1980s so there is a high concentration of age range 55+. There has been continual and revived interest since then which has encouraged younger people at each stage to get interested and active. I'm 50 and too young to of attended many of the key scene venues but had a great thirty five years myself involved with Soul to date. Involvement tapers down, with less involved in each decade towards youth, though with people coming into it over time or focusing on later eras. There are many hundreds of thousands or millions even of passive listeners, more than are in the dance scene itself.  Active vinyl collectors and DJs will be a much smaller subset of that - using common online, shop and record fair resources plus direct relationships.

There is wider crossover interest too, New Orleans music can have some interest in the separate Reggae area of music. Key artists such as Dr John, The Meters, Aaron Neville will have collectors of their music in thier own right.  There is also a separate area of collecting for the French oriented Louisanna music that I'm unaware of much about. 

Buying and selling of the relevant Soul music for the scenes in UK and globally, has strong participation amongst both collectors and DJs. You can do some research yourself looking at record valuations online at such as Discogs, Ebay and other groups people here will advise on. You can also buy the Record Collectors Rare Record Price Guide. That can be optimistic and interest varies, so use it as a general information source rather than striking for the price mentioned.

There are dealers here in UK who are interested in buying whole collections too, or parts of it.  Some of those may contact you or can be found here.

I hope that helps initially.

Edited by Thinksmart
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thinksmart,

Thanks for your thoughtful and excellent and sensible reply.

Best,

Michael

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

All participants will be entered into a £1000 prize draw, winner selected randomly.

That should get Yorkshire covered...

Detroit Chicago and New York are probably the areas most associated with the majority of members on this site, including collectable music.

Politics brings out the worst in debates.

Good luck 

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Site Support - Support Forum

Site related support and feedback forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Kent's Proposed Popcorn Cd
    All About The Soul by ady croasdell on Thu 20 Mar 2008
    • 120 / 6204
    • soulman1949 on 05 Apr 2008
  2. Proposed Extra Guidelines
    Record Sales by mike on Tue 17 Feb 2009
    • 1 / 369
    • mike on 17 Feb 2009
  3. Sales -proposed Extra Guidelines
    Record Sales by mike on Tue 17 Feb 2009
    • 12 / 1008
    • Mike on 18 Feb 2009
  4. Chicago Soul Survey
    All About The Soul by Paul on Sat 18 Mar 2006
    • 1 / 530
    • Paul on 18 Mar 2006
  5. £3 Voucher For Filling In A Survey
    Record Sales by soul_hull on Wed 28 Mar 2007
    • 4 / 514
    • soul_hull on 31 Mar 2007

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.