Need help on another unknown acetate

Briank

45 minutes ago, Briank said:

Does not sound like C & W to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

and so are you, and I can help matters by pointing you in the right direction to hear some soul music, black or blue eyed 

Social source share

I know I was wrong about the P.P. Arnold one (that was'nt ) but I'm pretty sure this is Jackie De Shannon; sounds so like her,not only vocally ,but songwise it sounds like a blueprint for her 'Put A Little Love in Your Heart' hit of 1969- or perhaps a soundalike follow up that never was

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Michael V said:

I know I was wrong about the P.P. Arnold one (that was'nt ) but I'm pretty sure this is Jackie De Shannon; sounds so like her,not only vocally ,but songwise it sounds like a blueprint for her 'Put A Little Love in Your Heart' hit of 1969- or perhaps a soundalike follow up that never was

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Briank said:

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

Thanks! It will be interesting to hear if it is her and will be reassuring to know my hearing is still OK,even if my eyesight is getting worse (by the week,it seems- roll on the re-opening of Soul events and live gigs so those of us of a certain age can  enjoy ourselves of an evening and stick two fingers up at getting old!)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

Well said , I remarked on the young lad from Nottinghams’ mentor being a credit to the young generation and was given a thumbs down or whatever ffs . So I thought then that’s me done , until I just saw your comment Karl . But I’m not signing in again . Ta ra. 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

That is their choice and yours as well.  If you have nothing constructive to say it's better to say nothing at all.  I think I gave you an 'up + 1 by mistake.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

no wonder here

members posting their views on an unknown track and at the same time other members helping the guy

it's what the forum is all about, all angles covered

best stick to facebook if you can't handle that

He didn’t ask for thoughts, before he got any help he got ridicule, whatever, crack on

Social source share

You know what.

This site is becoming a joke.

People are fed up with a supposedly Soul Forum having less and less to do with Soul.

I could carry on but what is the point.

Get on with it and I will just occasionally look at record sales.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Eh Eh Calm down lads its just differences of opinion we have all had that at one time or another and I know that there are a great number of true gentlemen on here that support the views of others whether they agree with the posts or not. Please Please Please lets not fall out over peoples opinions points of view or whatever you want to call it everything is open for discussion maybe this post should have been placed in freebasing to save any confusion.

Just my thoughts

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
Bloody Spelling Again
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I always try to work on the "if you can't say anything nice" principle. But in all fairness that tune has nothing to do with what I understand to be soul music, so I can understand why people were critical.

No need to get too excited though eh?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gold Band said:

Eh Eh Calm down lads its just differences of opinion we have all had that at one time or another and I know that there are a great number of true gentlemen on here that support the views of others whether they agree with the posts or not. Please Please Please lets not fall out over peoples opinions points of view or whatever you want to call it everything is open for discussion maybe this post should have been placed in freebasing to save any confusion.

Just my thoughts

Kirsty

Very wise words indeed young Kirsty..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just to reiterate , the title of the site is "Soul Source" , there's a clue in the title ... :rolleyes:

There are umpteen ways the word 'soul' can be interpreted musically ... and at no point in its history would the recording in question ever be tagged as 'soul' music as long as it's got a hole in its centre.

There is no need for all the 'touchy-feely' ... 'let's love everyone' approach to every single thread on here , leave that on the Current Affairs side of the site , the OP knows full well that the recording is not soul music (regardless of how many times it's denied) and should have expected a certain amount of scornful replies .

I stand by my first comment regarding the acetate , it's not a personal attack on the poster just an opinion formed from having actually listened to the clip , had anyone else (and I mean ANYONE else) posted it my reply would have been identical.

Why the hell I've just typed all this I'm not sure , guess I'm just bored treading on eggshells and the way things are headed on here . 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Just to reiterate , the title of the site is "Soul Source" , there's a clue in the title ... :rolleyes:

There are umpteen ways the word 'soul' can be interpreted musically ... and at no point in its history would the recording in question ever be tagged as 'soul' music as long as it's got a hole in its centre.

There is no need for all the 'touchy-feely' ... 'let's love everyone' approach to every single thread on here , leave that on the Current Affairs side of the site , the OP knows full well that the recording is not soul music (regardless of how many times it's denied) and should have expected a certain amount of scornful replies .

I stand by my first comment regarding the acetate , it's not a personal attack on the poster just an opinion formed from having actually listened to the clip , had anyone else (and I mean ANYONE else) posted it my reply would have been identical.

Why the hell I've just typed all this I'm not sure , guess I'm just bored treading on eggshells and the way things are headed on here . 

But neither would many records played on the Northern SOUL scene with which this site is heavily intertwined. I have no problems with opinions that is what a forum is all about, it was the snide comments creeping into the site and the digs at certain aspects and people. This site has never been nicey touchy feely and there is no need to tread on egg shells, never done that myself, always said what I think but I do try to be constructive....

The guy asked for help, why he couldn’t be offered that along with constructive criticism I’m not sure, he didn’t need pointing in any direction etc. But as Mike says no problem as far as he is concerned so lets agree to move on. I’ll listen to the track when I get home later. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Maybe you should have listened to it before commenting ... I downloaded the clip because I was happy to offer the 'help' asked for if I could do so , will be interested to hear your opinion once you've actually heard it.

I will download and listen just to satisfy my curious nature but I don’t feel the need to criticise (unless the OP asked for opinions on the record), if I can help I will, if not I will ignore and move on to the next topic. If we criticised everything mentioned for not being soul or soulful then there would be a lot of criticism on here.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

I think even in a so called friendly scene like ns , rare soul posters are going to vary greatly on how they respond on topics,  the other forum i sometimes go on which is for my football clubs fans some threads decend into almost hatred and thats from people who support the same club,  its human nature made worse by a certain invisibility. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, Mike said:

no wonder here

members posting their views on an unknown track and at the same time other members helping the guy

it's what the forum is all about, all angles covered

best stick to facebook if you can't handle that

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

I will download and listen just to satisfy my curious nature but I don’t feel the need to criticise (unless the OP asked for opinions on the record), if I can help I will, if not I will ignore and move on to the next topic. If we criticised everything mentioned for not being soul or soulful then there would be a lot of criticism on here.

It may have been better (and I would have posted this on the Freebasing bit), honestly, if this record is and was played on the Soul Scene, I would have fetched my coat very very quickly.

There are little parts of of it though that do have appear to have a "touch" of "Son-Of-A Preacher Man"

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Briank said:

Congrats to Michael V to fist suggest  Jackie DeShannon as I was in a fairly long discussion  with her today and she said it is  her singing on this acetate!!

On 26/06/2020 at 03:17, Briank said:

That's great! Really interesting to hear that it was Jackie- I'm impressed with your contacts with singers-and with your tenacity,too.Thanks for letting me know!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Briank said:

It was my pleasure.  I met her at the rock and roll hall of fame years ago.  That was a pleasure too!

Well done for asking her and getting confirmation

Perhaps you would be kind enough to ask her so we can finally know, after all this years, who was backing vocals on her "Laurel Canyon" LP besides Barry White and Don MaCallister, as the lady credited on her LP is a Brendetta Davis and you may know that this was/is believed to be a pseudonym of a famous Brenda we all know

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!