Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Briank

Need help on another unknown acetate

Posted (edited)

Here's a clip of a song by unknown artist that sounds a little like the other one i asked about.

 

 

Edited by Briank
got the question confirmed by artist

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Not sure what kind of 'spin' you're going to have to put on that to persuade people on here that it has anything remotely to do with soul music ... ?

 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Not trying to put a spin on anything.  Just looking for help to identify the singer.  It could be from Cold Blood for all I know.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

country and western 

  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Does not sound like C & W to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
45 minutes ago, Briank said:

Does not sound like C & W to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

and so are you, and I can help matters by pointing you in the right direction to hear some soul music, black or blue eyed 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Sorry Brian I am in total agreement with the above.  To me it sounds like country and western or maybe deep country.. wasn't at all soulful to me.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I agree with the above unfortunately it sounds like dolly Parton. But it could be country soul. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I know I was wrong about the P.P. Arnold one (that was'nt ) but I'm pretty sure this is Jackie De Shannon; sounds so like her,not only vocally ,but songwise it sounds like a blueprint for her 'Put A Little Love in Your Heart' hit of 1969- or perhaps a soundalike follow up that never was

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

In the C&W vein for sure, if unreleased I can see/hear why.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Sounds like the - Partridge Family only less soulful... Some tunes should stay in the can.
Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Michael V said:

I know I was wrong about the P.P. Arnold one (that was'nt ) but I'm pretty sure this is Jackie De Shannon; sounds so like her,not only vocally ,but songwise it sounds like a blueprint for her 'Put A Little Love in Your Heart' hit of 1969- or perhaps a soundalike follow up that never was

 

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
11 hours ago, Briank said:

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

Thanks! It will be interesting to hear if it is her and will be reassuring to know my hearing is still OK,even if my eyesight is getting worse (by the week,it seems- roll on the re-opening of Soul events and live gigs so those of us of a certain age can  enjoy ourselves of an evening and stick two fingers up at getting old!)

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

Well said , I remarked on the young lad from Nottinghams’ mentor being a credit to the young generation and was given a thumbs down or whatever ffs . So I thought then that’s me done , until I just saw your comment Karl . But I’m not signing in again . Ta ra. 

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

 

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

no wonder here

members posting their views on an unknown track and at the same time other members helping the guy

it's what the forum is all about, all angles covered

best stick to facebook if you can't handle that

 

 

 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is there any wonder with the replies in this topic and a couple more this last week or so that people no longer get involved on Soul source?

That is their choice and yours as well.  If you have nothing constructive to say it's better to say nothing at all.  I think I gave you an 'up + 1 by mistake.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
58 minutes ago, Mike said:

 

no wonder here

members posting their views on an unknown track and at the same time other members helping the guy

it's what the forum is all about, all angles covered

best stick to facebook if you can't handle that

 

 

 

He didn’t ask for thoughts, before he got any help he got ridicule, whatever, crack on

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

For what it's worth..

I think that different views being aired by way of Topic Postings is a healthy thing, and commensurate with what these types of forums are about.. a bit of healthy debate, and a cross-section of views and opinions

The only other 'KEY' thing I'd add in response to the opening post is..

This is a forum for and about SOUL MUSIC.. not just anything that someone may interpret in their personal view to be Soul Music or related, and therefore this shouldn't even be a post for us to discuss in the first place ??

Just saying like..

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

SOUL SOURCE 

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

You know what.

This site is becoming a joke.

People are fed up with a supposedly Soul Forum having less and less to do with Soul.

I could carry on but what is the point.

Get on with it and I will just occasionally look at record sales.

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Eh Eh Calm down lads its just differences of opinion we have all had that at one time or another and I know that there are a great number of true gentlemen on here that support the views of others whether they agree with the posts or not. Please Please Please lets not fall out over peoples opinions points of view or whatever you want to call it everything is open for discussion maybe this post should have been placed in freebasing to save any confusion.

Just my thoughts

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
Bloody Spelling Again
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Gilly said:

SOUL SOURCE 

Yes sir Gilly, what is happening........ this tune is a country record and has as much to do with SOUL as I am handsome

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I always try to work on the "if you can't say anything nice" principle. But in all fairness that tune has nothing to do with what I understand to be soul music, so I can understand why people were critical.

No need to get too excited though eh?

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Gold Band said:

Eh Eh Calm down lads its just differences of opinion we have all had that at one time or another and I know that there are a great number of true gentlemen on here that support the views of others whether they agree with the posts or not. Please Please Please lets not fall out over peoples opinions points of view or whatever you want to call it everything is open for discussion maybe this post should have been placed in freebasing to save any confusion.

Just my thoughts

Kirsty

Very wise words indeed young Kirsty..

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Just to reiterate , the title of the site is "Soul Source" , there's a clue in the title ... :rolleyes:

There are umpteen ways the word 'soul' can be interpreted musically ... and at no point in its history would the recording in question ever be tagged as 'soul' music as long as it's got a hole in its centre.

There is no need for all the 'touchy-feely' ... 'let's love everyone' approach to every single thread on here , leave that on the Current Affairs side of the site , the OP knows full well that the recording is not soul music (regardless of how many times it's denied) and should have expected a certain amount of scornful replies .

I stand by my first comment regarding the acetate , it's not a personal attack on the poster just an opinion formed from having actually listened to the clip , had anyone else (and I mean ANYONE else) posted it my reply would have been identical.

Why the hell I've just typed all this I'm not sure , guess I'm just bored treading on eggshells and the way things are headed on here . 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Just to reiterate , the title of the site is "Soul Source" , there's a clue in the title ... :rolleyes:

There are umpteen ways the word 'soul' can be interpreted musically ... and at no point in its history would the recording in question ever be tagged as 'soul' music as long as it's got a hole in its centre.

There is no need for all the 'touchy-feely' ... 'let's love everyone' approach to every single thread on here , leave that on the Current Affairs side of the site , the OP knows full well that the recording is not soul music (regardless of how many times it's denied) and should have expected a certain amount of scornful replies .

I stand by my first comment regarding the acetate , it's not a personal attack on the poster just an opinion formed from having actually listened to the clip , had anyone else (and I mean ANYONE else) posted it my reply would have been identical.

Why the hell I've just typed all this I'm not sure , guess I'm just bored treading on eggshells and the way things are headed on here . 

 

But neither would many records played on the Northern SOUL scene with which this site is heavily intertwined. I have no problems with opinions that is what a forum is all about, it was the snide comments creeping into the site and the digs at certain aspects and people. This site has never been nicey touchy feely and there is no need to tread on egg shells, never done that myself, always said what I think but I do try to be constructive....
 

The guy asked for help, why he couldn’t be offered that along with constructive criticism I’m not sure, he didn’t need pointing in any direction etc. But as Mike says no problem as far as he is concerned so lets agree to move on. I’ll listen to the track when I get home later. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Maybe you should have listened to it before commenting ... I downloaded the clip because I was happy to offer the 'help' asked for if I could do so , will be interested to hear your opinion once you've actually heard it.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

Maybe you should have listened to it before commenting ... I downloaded the clip because I was happy to offer the 'help' asked for if I could do so , will be interested to hear your opinion once you've actually heard it.

I will download and listen just to satisfy my curious nature but I don’t feel the need to criticise (unless the OP asked for opinions on the record), if I can help I will, if not I will ignore and move on to the next topic. If we criticised everything mentioned for not being soul or soulful then there would be a lot of criticism on here.

Edited by Chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I think even in a so called friendly scene like ns , rare soul posters are going to vary greatly on how they respond on topics,  the other forum i sometimes go on which is for my football clubs fans some threads decend into almost hatred and thats from people who support the same club,  its human nature made worse by a certain invisibility. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

If it will please the OP I've added some info on his other question/thread that may help his quest to ID the vocalist.

And ne'er a mention of anything that could be misconstrued ... :rolleyes:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
18 hours ago, Mike said:

 

no wonder here

members posting their views on an unknown track and at the same time other members helping the guy

it's what the forum is all about, all angles covered

best stick to facebook if you can't handle that

 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

I will download and listen just to satisfy my curious nature but I don’t feel the need to criticise (unless the OP asked for opinions on the record), if I can help I will, if not I will ignore and move on to the next topic. If we criticised everything mentioned for not being soul or soulful then there would be a lot of criticism on here.

It may have been better (and I would have posted this on the Freebasing bit), honestly, if this record is and was played on the Soul Scene, I would have fetched my coat very very quickly.

There are little parts of of it though that do have appear to have a "touch" of "Son-Of-A Preacher Man"

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 26/06/2020 at 03:17, Briank said:

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

Have to say it does sound a bit like her

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I have not  heard back from Jackie D and the actual writer of this  song, Mike Appel copyright  1969.  I  don't know if this additional info  helps.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 25/06/2020 at 17:19, Michael V said:

I know I was wrong about the P.P. Arnold one (that was'nt ) but I'm pretty sure this is Jackie De Shannon; sounds so like her,not only vocally ,but songwise it sounds like a blueprint for her 'Put A Little Love in Your Heart' hit of 1969- or perhaps a soundalike follow up that never was

 

Congrats to Michael V to fist suggest  Jackie DeShannon as I was in a fairly long discussion  with her today and she said it is  her singing on this acetate!!

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
42 minutes ago, Briank said:

Congrats to Michael V to fist suggest  Jackie DeShannon as I was in a fairly long discussion  with her today and she said it is  her singing on this acetate!!

On 26/06/2020 at 03:17, Briank said:

I just sent a message to Jackie D about this acetate.  I'll let you know her reply.

 

That's great! Really interesting to hear that it was Jackie- I'm impressed with your contacts with singers-and with your tenacity,too.Thanks for letting me know!

 

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

It was my pleasure.  I met her at the rock and roll hall of fame years ago.  That was a pleasure too!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Briank said:

It was my pleasure.  I met her at the rock and roll hall of fame years ago.  That was a pleasure too!

Well done for asking her and getting confirmation

Perhaps you would be kind enough to ask her so we can finally know, after all this years, who was backing vocals on her "Laurel Canyon" LP besides Barry White and Don MaCallister, as the lady credited on her LP is a Brendetta Davis and you may know that this was/is believed to be a pseudonym of a famous Brenda we all know

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Help Me Out! Need To Sell Some Cos I Need To Buy Some
    Record Sales by Adam Topping on Mon 16 Oct 2006
    • 5 / 1102
    • Adam Topping on 18 Oct 2006
  2. Need Help, Need This
    Record Wants by spinneaussplit on Tue 11 Aug 2009
    • 4 / 417
    • carl_p on 18 Aug 2009
  3. I Need Help To Fix My Soundburger...anyone Help?
    All About The Soul by RealPeoplesMusic on Tue 23 Jul 2013
    • 6 / 929
    • Olliewtf on 25 Jul 2013
  4. I Need Some Help And Info On Mexican Soul Record! Help
    Look At Your Box by on Mon 21 Aug 2006
    • 10 / 1082
    • Dante on 23 Aug 2006
  5. Arthur Griswold & The Organics Help! Help! Help
    Record Wants by fever on Wed 07 Oct 2009
    • 1 / 280
    • fever on 07 Oct 2009

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.