Ficklefingers

Paypal Account Hacked

Posted (edited)

I recently received receipt for a transaction I know wasn't mine, purchasing some sort of 'credits' (chat-line??) - so logged in.. changed my password, and reported the now six fraudulent transactions noticed.. These were all refunded within 24 hours

Whist going through my bank account I picked up on another five transactions for Domino's Pizza using my debit card details.. Not mine !! So went to my bank and explained the situation, and when they looked at the transactions concerned they too had all been paid for via my paypal.. At least the problem is not widespread and the paypal account was where the problem lay

Logged back in to paypal that evening and reported the 5 Domino's and 1 Papa John transactions to paypal as also being fraudulent - and the first transaction was refunded within 24 hours..

Now, is where the 'fun' begins..

I logged into paypal the next day and after doing so a message is displayed saying that, due to the recent problems, they require confirmation of two out of the three security questions - in order they know it's me.. First Question is a two-parter: Mother's Maiden Name - No problem, and name of childhood best friend.. not one of the questions I opted for when I first set up the account so the hacker had obviously inputted that detail and therefore I could not answer the question in full.. Okay I think, answer the other two questions - one being the option to send a text to the mobile phone number registered.. But the last four digits were not mine, and so obvious I would be unable to proceed to my account - including areas for reporting and other correspondence etc.. Okay.. I'll ring them.. 'Due to the Covid-19 we have limited staff available to answer your calls but you can contact us via customer service' - Great !! Only to use customer service you have to first log in !! As you do with any sort of contact you wish to make with them.. Been trying to ring them each day since, but getting the same answer message until yesterday, when the number rings out just once before cutting you off !! WTF !!

And the hackers ate another Pizza at my expense yesterday which tells me Paypal haven't actioned any prevention measures on the back of the fraudulent payments !!

No other transactions ?!? Just Pizzas..

Any one have any suggestions ???????????????

TIA.. Mr Completely Pissed Off & Totally Frustrated 

Edited by Ficklefingers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I don't know if this will be helpful or not.  My PayPal uses my debit card not my bank account.  Could you get your bank to cancel the card or block unauthorised payment on your account.  ??

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Ps it's not me as I used to be a chef I make my own pizzas 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
10 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

I don't know if this will be helpful or not.  My PayPal uses my debit card not my bank account.  Could you get your bank to cancel the card or block unauthorised payment on your account.  ??

9 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Ps it's not me as I used to be a chef I make my own pizzas 

lol Mick.. at least your name is now off the list !!

Yea, I'll go to my bank and have a chat.. Thanks

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hopefully if you can show the bank that they are fraudulent payments they should have a way of reclaiming any losses.  Good luck in sorting it out 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

By all means approach your bank but if you don't get instant satisfaction get the police involved. Fraud is a criminal offence so don't let the police fob you off and insist on them taking action, especially as it is still ongoing.

I suspect they will get more of a response from both PayPal and your bank than you have been able to.

When I had cheques stolen and cashed years ago my bank would only refund me if I signed to agree to bank and/or police investigation, so it sort of confirms it as the route to go.

Be nice too if they found where the pizzas were delivered to, and what a coincidence if their details matched the false security details applied to your account.

Good luck.

Edited by Kevinkent
Typo
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, Kevinkent said:

By all means approach your bank but if you don't get instant satisfaction get the police involved. Fraud is a criminal offence so don't let the police fob you off and insist on them taking action, especially as it is still ongoing.

I suspect they will get more of a response from both PayPal and your bank than you have been able to.

When I had cheques stolen and cashed years ago my bank would only refund me if I signed to agree to bank and/or police investigation, so it sort of confirms it as the route to go.

Be nice too if they found where the pizzas were delivered to, and what a coincidence if their details matched the false security details applied to your account.

Good luck.

Sound advice I think Kevin.. Thank You !!

I did forget to mention earlier that I can actually see the address the pizzas were delivered to.. a flat in tooting and therefore it follows that Paypal can also see the details to enable the police to become involved.. But it seems they don't give a sh*t.. Read on !!

And here's a thing.. I reported all fraudulent transactions to Paypal last Friday (a week ago) - with the initial transactions refunded within 24 hours on the back of my first report to Paypal, although I reported the pizza transactions later the same day a refund for the first transaction (3 weeks ago) was refunded the next day.. So - they know which details and transactions are NOT anything to do with me.. They KNOW the perpetrators address for the fraudulent transactions.. So WHY did they allow another pizza to be purchased just two days ago !!! In my eyes it is quite obvious they are doing nothing to prevent the fraud being repeated OR pursuing the culprits to prevent other hackings - despite knowing all the facts, and are surely a party to fraud in so much as they are in a position to do something about it but aren't/haven't !! The police will be my next conversation

I did go to my bank today and, after two and a half hours I have now had my debit card cancelled, and a complete block put on my account until Monday - when I will be opening a new (like for like) account with different account numbers, and the bank transferring all direct debits and standing orders to the new account.. The only way I can see that I could prevent any further fraud..

How outrageous is it though, that an individual has to waste all the time and energy in order to secure their account completely and prevent ongoing misuse.. And how even MORE outrageous is it that paypal seemingly don't give two flying f*cks as to the potential issues the fraud could create.. Imagine if the perpetrator had the savvy to set up new bank account details then went on to empty my bank account into Paypal for onward transfer to the new account.. If I had not taken the measures I have today I fear that, come Monday, I may have found myself to be out of pocket by tens of thousands of pounds !! Feckin' OUTRAGEOUS !!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Ficklefingers said:

Sound advice I think Kevin.. Thank You !!

I did forget to mention earlier that I can actually see the address the pizzas were delivered to.. a flat in tooting and therefore it follows that Paypal can also see the details to enable the police to become involved.. But it seems they don't give a sh*t.. Read on !!

And here's a thing.. I reported all fraudulent transactions to Paypal last Friday (a week ago) - with the initial transactions refunded within 24 hours on the back of my first report to Paypal, although I reported the pizza transactions later the same day a refund for the first transaction (3 weeks ago) was refunded the next day.. So - they know which details and transactions are NOT anything to do with me.. They KNOW the perpetrators address for the fraudulent transactions.. So WHY did they allow another pizza to be purchased just two days ago !!! In my eyes it is quite obvious they are doing nothing to prevent the fraud being repeated OR pursuing the culprits to prevent other hackings - despite knowing all the facts, and are surely a party to fraud in so much as they are in a position to do something about it but aren't/haven't !! The police will be my next conversation

Unbelievable! Take my advice and visit your local police station. If you speak over the phone you may (or may not) get issued a Crime Number by the clerk who answers your phone call, and you won't know how/if things are progressing. Gather together or note in sequence all of the details that you have and pay that visit. Wear a mask (not a balaclava lol) and gloves so that they can't make that an excuse for not being able to see you, and visit that front desk. They are public servants, if you don't feel that they are taking things seriously or if you are not happy with the treatment you receive, ask to speak to the Duty Inspector. Best to go mid morning to mid afternoon IMO and avoid lunchtime. That should ensure that a CID or other relevant officer is available to help.

Failing all else, visit the Tooting address and create havoc. I'll be up for that.

- Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks Kevin..

I have already documented everything in chronological order, and printed off all relevant documentation and paypal receipts - including those showing the tooting addy.. 

I do think a visit in person to my local Police HQ is best in the first instance, and if needs be I'll attend in one of my Asbestos suits with full mask, gloves, and boots if I have to, to make certain I get to file official complaint and gain a crime reference number..

And yes Kevin.. Google map already printed off of the offending recipients abode and location - I've also messaged a couple of 'friends' I know in the area, that are pretty clued up and street-wise, to try and build up a possible picture of what may or may not be associated with the particular area concerned - doesn't hurt to try & establish if a visit would likely be met by an individual, or 'group of individuals'..  🤔

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I had a weird text yesterday looking to have originated from Pay Pal, asked to click a link which I didn’t, just binned it. Deffo allot of theft going on, best thing to do is link your credit card to all online purchasing, that way it’s the credit card’s money being stolen, not your direct bank balance. 

Good luck mate..

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks for sharing all of the above.

Some years ago I had my credit card details swiped, I reckon by a hack of an online dealer I used regularly and had left my card details with thinking it would save time. As soon as some relatively minor oddities turned up on my monthly statement I visited the local nick and got everything cancelled. Ever since I've never agreed to allow any online retailers to save my details unless it's absolutely unavoidable (e.g., Amazon, hotel booking, or ... Paypal!).

Outfits like Paypal and Amazon have got to have top security, otherwise their whole business model collapses. It will be interesting to learn how Paypal explain this mess, if you ever get an explanation that is.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I've had various issues like this, and I truly believe it's down to insiders selling information. 

Talk talk admitted it a few years ago.

Using Amazon, Citibank, Nationwide, worldfirst, 02, have all resulted in attempted fraud.

An then theres a whole new industry making money from insuring against these crimes.

The 02 one was the worst. 

Fraudster calls 02 with your name phone number and address.

Requests a new sim card. Once used it blocks your sim and therefore any messages coming to you.

The new sim is then Inserted in the fraudsters phone.

Now they use your bank account details to do a phone transfer.

The security code is sent to the new sim. This is all the rage...

The fraudster now controls the process.

Luckily for me citibank double check phone number AND sim card number. If not, I was looking at a few grand being transferred without me knowing.

Not all banks do the double check.

I'm in the middle of an investigation to see who divulged this information.

Stay safe...

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The big question is were they meat feast or pepperoni?

Hope you get it sorted soon, have had cards cloned 3 times previously and it’s a real pain so you have my sympathy.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Scandalous, but not surprising. 

I don't trust PayPal and only have it grudgingly because of Ebay. 

Are they regulated at all, or part of any ombudsman scheme? 

Modern life is really frustrating when stuff like this happens. 

Most frustrating thing I had happen was a parcel (trainers from Italy) delivered to the wrong address. It was signed for and as far as the delivery company were concerned I had the parcel even though the name and signature weren't mine. They said the Satnav showed the van on our road and the driver said I was in the drive washing my black car (which I wasn't). Went to complain to DPD (the trainers were £400) and was told that their contract wasn't with me, it is with the sender! So to contact the seller (who have now been paid and been told the parcel was received by me)....and ask them to send me a new pair of trainers and for them to then put a claim in to DPD!.... Yeah fat chance! I phoned them and they didn't even speak English. 

Then the neighbour from 32 came round with the parcel, we are 23. The driver delivered to the wrong house. He took it in while washing his black car. 

God knows what would have happened if he didn't come round. 

Since then I stick to Amazon rather than ebay. Never a problem with them. 

Sorry... Slightly off topic, but feel the OP pain when you feel helpless in these situations. 

Edited by Fish Fingers

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Thanks for that Fish Fingers (are we related ?? 😂) and just had a quick look..

To be honest, the time and energy I've already spent on this and trying to get resolve, has left me feeling I don't want to waste any more than necessary of my time in getting the situation rectified.. Suffice to say that - when I do finally get hold of Paypal, they will be feeling the full extent of my wrath and utter disgust, and they WON'T have the benefit of my business EVER AGAIN !!

I will update on the situation as and when I receive any news - in particular with regards the Police and the address in Tooting.. I now have a pretty fair idea as to the 'set up' of the location concerned, and still considering a visit at some point.. Although it seems obvious a 'mob handed' approach will see more satisfaction than if I attended alone or as a pair.. Kevin ?? Or.. I might just have some Tipper Driver friends of mine local to the area to make the visit on my behalf.. a Nice, Friendly bunch of lads.. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hope you get it sorted out soon.  I was thinking about pizza for dinner but had 2nd thoughts 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
23 hours ago, Ficklefingers said:

Thanks for that Fish Fingers (are we related ?? 😂) and just had a quick look..

To be honest, the time and energy I've already spent on this and trying to get resolve, has left me feeling I don't want to waste any more than necessary of my time in getting the situation rectified.. Suffice to say that - when I do finally get hold of Paypal, they will be feeling the full extent of my wrath and utter disgust, and they WON'T have the benefit of my business EVER AGAIN !!

I will update on the situation as and when I receive any news - in particular with regards the Police and the address in Tooting.. I now have a pretty fair idea as to the 'set up' of the location concerned, and still considering a visit at some point.. Although it seems obvious a 'mob handed' approach will see more satisfaction than if I attended alone or as a pair.. Kevin ?? Or.. I might just have some Tipper Driver friends of mine local to the area to make the visit on my behalf.. a Nice, Friendly bunch of lads.. 

But at least you can sleep a bit easier knowing that if some large transactions suddenly appear on your account, and PayPal don't jump on it and sort a refund pronto, you can go straight to the ombudsman. 

I work in financial services and FOS rule in favour of the punter the majority of the time (even when they shouldn't). 

As I say.....its good to know its there as a back up. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. @ady Croasdell: Your Email Account Was Hacked
    Freebasing by Benji on Mon 01 Jul 2013
    • 13 / 1509
    • Steve Lane on 20 Jul 2013
  2. Paypal Account Suspended?
    Freebasing by wayoutgirl on Mon 08 Feb 2016
    • 8 / 886
    • dthedrug on 09 Feb 2016
  3. Paypal Limited Account
    All About The Soul by PaulB on Sat 21 Nov 2009
    • 4 / 789
    • Paulb on 23 Nov 2009
  4. Andy Bellwood - Email Hacked.
    All About The Soul by KevH on Thu 16 Jan 2014
    • 5 / 623
    • grant on 16 Jan 2014
  5. Andy Dyson Emailaccount Hacked
    All About The Soul by Soulof on Fri 10 Jan 2014
    • 30 / 2033
    • Dysonsoul on 12 Jan 2014

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.