Mecca Memories

On 29/06/2020 at 02:32, Vadnochka said:

So sad to hear of Tony's passing. First met him as an 18yr. old making my 1st trip to the Mecca - early Nov. 1971.

Watched Leicester City lose 3-2 at Old Trafford on the Sat. afternoon in the rain and drove through the sleet to Blackpool and grabbed a B&B - The Argyle on Central Dr. a few hundred yds from the Mecca. Remember like it was yesterday - that top floor cloaks - amazed to see people with their Adidas bags etc changing to t's or vests and in to the Highland Room - low ceiling / claymores and shields and the music - a real eye opener. Blues & Soul has a lot to answer for. Mr Godin was right. Hooked - went up and asked Tony for a record - can't remember what but always remember his response - not dismissive or sarky but a firm 'don't play that anymore, played out'. Not an expression I'd heard before. Later he approached me after completing one of his set's and asked 'Where are you from mate' Leicester, we get a few up from there, Yes there's Blakey - do you know him. No but I soon did - buying his Earl Jackson ABC demo. Became a regular from then and Tony lent me a couple of sounds to take back to Leicester to DJ with. An Ollie Jackson and more remarkably in 1972 - Triumphs - I'm coming to your rescue - Okeh - purple stocker - absolutely massive foot to the floor acrobats nirvana. Can you imagine that now. I took it back a couple of weeks later. Got to know the Blackpool main man - apologies Ian +  Gilly / Tash / Wendy Lofthouse / Colin etc.  Saturday afternoon sessions with the London crowd round at Levine's. Cannot believe its been nearly 49yrs. RIP

Steve Frost

Were soul people wearing T's and vests to northern gigs as early as Nov '71 ? And carrying Adidas bags ?

Thought clothing wise, it was still very much a  mod/suede scene in 71 ? Fred Perry polos, button down Ben Sherman, Brutus, Jaytex shirts ?

Edited by Sunnysoul
Social source share

The answer to your question is a definite no they weren’t wearing vests or carrying Adidas bags.In those days at the Mecca the only thing you could do (once inside) was remove your tie and coat which had to be hung in the cloak room. After almost fifty years though I’m prepared to give the poster some slack about what actually happened, after all most of us were doing that much gear we couldn’t really remember what had happened the week before.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 months later...
On 26/11/2020 at 11:03, Davebanks said:

Picture of us all at the Mecca in April 1972, thats me and Mrs Banks on the right.

Must have been taking a break from the highland room as this is taken on the balcony of the main room.

We are very sartorially dressed with jackets and ties on, maybe this was just after we got in up the escalator.

Anyway, no Adidas bags or vests, maybe the trousers are a little baggy. But certainly we would go nowhere without our sleeveless jumpers.

Dave Banks

859B1FAE-AA33-4D37-BF2A-3BA33D51A53E_1_201_a.jpeg

https://clyp.it/wahooii0

https://clyp.it/rsbzu1di

Tape says; Highland Room 1972, correct?

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source