CDs Revisited

Stevie

Ok - been thinking recently whether my cd/dvd collection is taking up too much space - maybe need to get rid or box up and pack away..

Not listened to any of the cds for donkeys years so flicking through thought lets have a listen to this - UP ALL NIGHT - sleeve notes by Brian Rae (who I think was working for Charly at the time)

Wow! the memories this brought back from the early nineties - some real favorites I haven't heard for a very long time - Not a bad track on there but standout faves for me Gene Chandler, Sam Dees, Maurice Williams, Lee Bates, Ann Sexton and Sam Fletcher - fantastic..

Felt it warranted a bit of a dance so big smile on my face now, set me up for the day😀

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I know we are a vinyl based scene, but I really like CDs and think they are maligned incorrectly.  As you say, some CDs trigger the same memories and time as vinyl also does.

When done well, they are wonderful - the compilations have been wonderful since late 80s giving us access to a huge range of music, with extensive notes, sound quality.  They also last far better than we all feared a decade or two ago. I have plenty of CDs that are now over thirty years old and still as good as new.

Quality reissue and new artist labels have added hugely to my enjoyment, including these days getting the reissues from such as Japan that have never made it to UK/USA issue.

Today I still use the old notion of 'pay day' to work out which old and new releases I'm going to get on CD this month.  It's nice to see new reissues and releases come back during this year for issue in coming months too.  Some great ones on the horizon.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Thing with cd's you can copy them to laptop, transfer to usb flash drive., transfer to ipad and still have the 'hard copy' in case anything goes wrong, usually for less than the price of a download. I do that as a matter of course with anything new that I buy but haven't worked my way through the older stuff yet.

Edited by Stevie
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

Thing with cd's you can copy them to laptop, transfer to usb flash drive., transfer to ipad and still have the 'hard copy' in case anything goes wrong, usually for less than the price of a download. I do that as a matter of course with anything new that I buy but haven't worked my way through the older stuff yet.

Definitely worth doing it, have copied all CDs and singles, now working on LPs.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!