ABKCO put out a 4 disc set in 2005- most of the songs are the big Pop hits but

on Volume 3 and 4 there's some decent Soul and  some great Northern (Frankie

Beverly and Christine Cooper "Heartaches..."  and a few others- 

cvr.jpg

CP 3.jpg

CP 4.jpg

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

Wasn't a guy, maybe the son of the label owner, talking about releasing a CD of unissued Cameo-Parkway tracks when the film Green Book was coming out? I seem to remember reading about it as the film team were looking for music that would sound authentic for the era but didn't have the budget to pay big licence fees.

Social source share

There were all those Cam-Park CDs.  I always felt they sounded a touch muddy and their origins were dubious.

I posted the original item here as it seems to be the first CD dedicated to Northern Soul for the label, even though the songs are distributed amongst other CDs and almost now available legally online I think.

Social source share

22 hours ago, Mick Sway said:

Semi-official ?

It will be interesting to see if there's any difference in repro quality.

Just found the digital formats I still had, quality very good. Yes "semi official" it's a long time ago but ABKCO would let anyone near their tapes, somehow they got round it.

Social source share

Cameo Parkway was never in the same league as Stax, Shrine, Chess, Okeh etc but surely someone could do a better selection than this. Looks like a US compiler for Abkco thought they knew what to pick. Some tracks are 100% classics but others should have been left off. The best tracks are scattered on other compilations or the dubious Cam Park releases.The price is low so I'm not expecting extensive , or any, sleeve notes. It's a shame Abkco don't let other companies lease tracks for C-P only compilations or access the tape archives. Imagine what Ace/Kent could do with the RnR and soul tracks.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 5 months later...
On 01/07/2020 at 20:51, Rick Cooper said:

Cameo Parkway was never in the same league as Stax, Shrine, Chess, Okeh etc but surely someone could do a better selection than this. Looks like a US compiler for Abkco thought they knew what to pick. Some tracks are 100% classics but others should have been left off. The best tracks are scattered on other compilations or the dubious Cam Park releases.The price is low so I'm not expecting extensive , or any, sleeve notes. It's a shame Abkco don't let other companies lease tracks for C-P only compilations or access the tape archives. Imagine what Ace/Kent could do with the RnR and soul tracks.

Well, I got that completely wrong, shouldn't judge a CD by it's cover. Got the CD for Christmas and it's really good, even Ben Zine sounds alright mixed in with the others. The Hattie Winston and Lonnie Youngblood tracks are excellent choices.  @Ady Croasdell helped compile it and did the sleeve notes so apologies to Ady for my comments. At only twenty tracks it could have had a few more but maybe they have saved them for volume 2 (and 3?).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Well, I got that completely wrong, shouldn't judge a CD by it's cover. Got the CD for Christmas and it's really good, even Ben Zine sounds alright mixed in with the others. The Hattie Winston and Lonnie Youngblood tracks are excellent choices.  @Ady Croasdell helped compile it and did the sleeve notes so apologies to Ady for my comments. At only twenty tracks it could have had a few more but maybe they have saved them for volume 2 (and 3?).

Rick, there's nothing wrong with Benzine.  Village of tears.☺. Always liked it.  

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Definitely agree with you.  Time and a place.  So many memories of station road attached to it for me mate and a certain young lady 

hasn't aged well at all imo

sounds even more miserable now than it did first time around 😉

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!