Articles: The Most Sought After Rare Northern

1 hour ago, Pomonkey said:

Hi Chalky and Dobber, re the Defenders - Sermon FYI 2 of us here in NYC each own a copy, faster sounds like this are more popular here and this one is pretty perfect.

Thought one of you might have it. Was popular here but never played now 

Social source share

On 03/07/2020 at 19:01, Gilly said:

About 45 and some in quantity, 25 + Toppers, 3 James Lately, 25 Cynthia on Big Hit, 2 Magnetics ill keep holding on, 5 Tomangoe's, 3 Sister Lees 

I'm a has been, i don't own hardly any of them now tough 

On 03/07/2020 at 21:12, neckender said:

Its not a list of the 'rarest of the rare'  Its a list of 'sought after' 45s.

Didn't see GEORGE LEMONS / ANTIQUES / GUITAR RAY / HAMILTON MOVEMENT on the list ? Also TYREE DAVIS (METROLINA SOUL, prob not well known enough)

Social source share

Margaret Glover. This will never do. MAG

Sterophonics. Run on little girl. Cha-Tok.

Sterphonics. (both sides) Mas Tok

Holidays. Deep down in my heart. Master

and all 4 from the same set of labels 

• Listening now 1
Social source share

Brilliant read, somat on that list for all me thinks. 

Had over the years 123 of them and still got 61 of em today, the 62 I now haven't got, most I regret selling, but that's just how it is and if I'm honest the regret comes from the pennies lost in todays market rather than not now having the 45s.

Hey ho. 

Just one addition I feel is missing

Norma Jenkins.. Airplane song? 

Edited by Dazdakin
Additional
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Dazdakin said:

Brilliant read, somat on that list for all me thinks. 

Had over the years 123 of them and still got 61 of em today, the 62 I now haven't got, most I regret selling, but that's just how it is and if I'm honest the regret comes from the pennies lost in todays market rather than not now having the 45s.

Hey ho. 

Just one addition I feel is missing

Norma Jenkins.. Airplane song? 

It's in there Daz . 

Social source share

1 hour ago, pumpkinseed said:

Nice list that ! Over thirty five years of collecting managed to obtain 255 of em ' been reduced to 146 now , been fun collecting them . Not much fun these days , totally changed ( for the worse ) . 

Your not much fun collecting these days comment is oh so very true young Carl.

Regards Dave

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Would love to see a Modern/Xover compilation of the 500 as an awful lot of really hard stuff does not fit the northern category and a sweet soul list would be a real eye opener as the prices are reaching amounts you would not of dreamed off 10 yeas ago ? 

I have a few from the list and would love a whole lot more but it was interesting too draw an analysis of stuff ive picked up the last 4 years or so. I think there are die hards always chasing 45s from the list but also a whole bunch of collectors that really like finding different stuff ,leftfield stuff etc. Deep down inside how many avid collectors can really afford them now I say this the same week that Lester Tipton reaches £10 K ? 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 hours ago, Dazdakin said:

Oh... Jeez... What a cock... Sorry😏

I can highly recomend reading the list twice, probably three times - I missed some the first time....."Oh wow".....made me not register the next few, and so on :D

(I found those two) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I prefer to dig deeper and find the cheaper stuff and leave the expensive rarities for a night out.

That's a really sensible way of looking at it - Great records still to be enjoyed, excepting not to be owned in the main.

I get great enjoyment from records on that list, I get equal enjoyment from many others which are more easily available.

No point being bitter.....is there? :pirate:

:D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Len said:

That's a really sensible way of looking at it - Great records still to be enjoyed, excepting not to be owned in the main.

I get great enjoyment from records on that list, I get equal enjoyment from many others which are more easily available.

No point being bitter.....is there? :pirate:

:D

It was bound to happen the more the scene was pushed the more expensive the rare became and the investors moved in, mostly slotters who rack them as an investment for the future, it's now as the CD said "For Millionaires Only" perhaps we will have to blame Kev for it 1996 onwards

48 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

I agree Karl particularly the lack of fun side of it , the right place right time scenario is spot on take John Powneys Collection . A good 80 per cent of the above mentioned were at Johns at one point then word gets out on prices etc and boom what was probably the best Collection in the U.K. or certainly in the Top 5 gone over months ! 
I might be wrong but the check point Charlie’s buying these now have took this to a level that normal working class people simply cannot afford ? That’s the biggest sting in the tail for a scene  that was purely working class. 

Same happened at football prawn sandwiches lol. 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I think if you had the money not to care how much you spent, you would become bored with that side of it not being an issue - That may have happened over the years.

Most of us really appreciate a record on so many levels when we make a purchase.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/07/2020 at 11:49, Chalky said:

Saus has the only copy that I know of (in this country), one in the states I think that I was aware of.  Not to say there are not others mind.  It's the same as the Arter Set if memory serves but the two don't compare tbh.  It's far too fast for us old timers too.  

The Defenders - Sermon (When I'm Down) - Sama.mp3 2.12 MB · 82 downloads

Saus has my old copy which I played as the Eldees at Blackburn, that copy came from Pete Lawson, Salmon RIP also had a copy not long after that, no idea where that ended up, same writing team as Big Dons Rebellion 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

The list I would love to see is what everyone's top 50 would be of things you could pick up for £50 or less, ideally all soul based, but doesn't have to be Northern.  

try the site search, been loads of topics along those lines over the years

if no joy finding any topics, then start a new topic asking (to avoid taking this one off topic) and sure people will help

cheers

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Tony Smith said:

Saus has my old copy which I played as the Eldees at Blackburn, that copy came from Pete Lawson, Salmon RIP also had a copy not long after that, no idea where that ended up, same writing team as Big Dons Rebellion 

Yes remember you having it before Saus. 

Social source share

Great piece of work Mark, and no doubt some deliberation needed on what should be included. It just reminded me how bang average my northern collection was that got sold in the late eighties. But I have about 25 of them even now, no doubt due to the number of crossover/ early seventies records you decided to include. Many of which were infact addopted by the northern sceen many years after first being spun at the very early crossover venues, nothing wrong with that, but as Mark eluded to it has just helped to swell the prices.  Wish I still had the Sam Williams though as I really like the deep ballad flip. Alice Clark 'You hit me has a great deep flip, Maybe that should be considered for inclusion, but perhaps out of favor and too obvious for 2020?

Social source share

10 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

I agree Karl particularly the lack of fun side of it , the right place right time scenario is spot on take John Powneys Collection . A good 80 per cent of the above mentioned were at Johns at one point then word gets out on prices etc and boom what was probably the best Collection in the U.K. or certainly in the Top 5 gone over months ! 
I might be wrong but the check point Charlie’s buying these now have took this to a level that normal working class people simply cannot afford ? That’s the biggest sting in the tail for a scene  that was purely working class. 

Same happened at football prawn sandwiches lol. 

Quite agree with your comment regards the records being taken out of the realms of working class peoples budget Baz

9 hours ago, Tricky said:

Pension money is paying for a lot of the big stuff I believe.

Personal choice obviously but not something I would do.

A slippery slope many have chosen to tread i'm afraid ,Amigo 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Chalky said:

I couldn't afford, well I couldn't justify spending the amount of money on the type of record in question here..  My "at home" listening choice or taste has also changed a lot, more 70s and 80s rather than 60s.  But it is like Carl said, it isn't as much fun chasing the 60s now as most are now out of reach of the average collector anyway.  I prefer to dig deeper and find the cheaper stuff and leave the expensive rarities for a night out.

It is a mouth watering list though and many you could get for not too much once upon a time.  The mid 80s etc records were plentiful and relatively cheap with three figure sum records still relatively scarce.  I guess for many it was a case of being in the right place at the right time.  I certainly wish I was still on my first collection :D

totally agree..this game isnt for lorry drivers, painters and decorators and warehouse workers these days and it doesnt help either as in my case as well when your listening and buying tastes have broadened so much to include 70s/80s modern, crossover,beat ballads ,deep and sweet also..i still find it fun tho to try and snag the odd big ticket item on the cheap and my life still evolves around records and music after 40 years.. i`m fortunate tho to never  have had to sell up and must still have 100 or so from the list and have only sold maybe 10 without checking... its a very thought provoking list tho the only glaring misses i can spot after a couple of glances are the teri de 45s unless i just missed em.. jimmy gresham, len jewell and even the soul shakers are worthy of a mention

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Very interesting read - thank you Mark!  with your vast experience would love to know your best guess at how many copies of each exist (along the lines of JM's less than10, less than 25 etc.. in his 'million $ of soul).

p.s. you have passionetts in the list twice.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

totally agree..this game isnt for lorry drivers, painters and decorators and warehouse workers these days and it doesnt help either as in my case as well when your listening and buying tastes have broadened so much to include 70s/80s modern, crossover,beat ballads ,deep and sweet also..i still find it fun tho to try and snag the odd big ticket item on the cheap and my life still evolves around records and music after 40 years.. i`m fortunate tho to never  have had to sell up and must still have 100 or so from the list and have only sold maybe 10 without checking... its a very thought provoking list tho the only glaring misses i can spot after a couple of glances are the teri de 45s unless i just missed em.. jimmy gresham, len jewell and even the soul shakers are worthy of a mention

Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely happy buying what I buy and what I listen to.  i’m buying more now than I have for a long time. I still love to hear people like Mark playing the rare soul 45s when I am out. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!