Articles: The Most Sought After Rare Northern

This is a fantastic insight Mark into your personal appreciation of records that constitute "Rare Soul".

Unfortunately such lists will attract the "paint by numbers" collector and fuel inevitable price hikes whenever these sought after 45s become available. Nevertheless there will always be some fun had for those knowledgeable collectors with good ears to remain ahead of the price curve identifying future in-demanders in whatever direction soul music decides to travel. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely happy buying what I buy and what I listen to.  i’m buying more now than I have for a long time. I still love to hear people like Mark playing the rare soul 45s when I am out. 

yep same here.. if youre not enjoying no point continuing. i will always buy records and some if not all the dear ones i have will go at some point long before the cheaper end do

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Thank you very much. An extremely precise encyclopedia of what the headline provides.

If you read here that some colleagues can call 80-150 records their own, I would be extremely interested to know for how much £ you had to pay at that time (you're talking about the 70s-80s concerning your starting collection?) 

What were common amounts back then or which record was a small fortune back then? Thanks a lot

In addition, I agree with "Bbrich" to estimate how often the listed copies exist. Probably "sought after" would then very quickly be joined by the adjective "rare"

In any case it would be very interesting to know.

Finally, I would also like to emphasize the wish of "Baz A." to do this with Xover or Modern - I personally would be interested in the "Deep Soul" section - maybe someone could radio sir shambling !? 

I see - I also have one from the list, even MANSHIP MINT :facepalm:

UK-Stay Safe

Zanetti

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Thank you very much. An extremely precise encyclopedia of what the headline provides.

If you read here that some colleagues can call 80-150 records their own, I would be extremely interested to know for how much £ you had to pay at that time (you're talking about the 70s-80s concerning your starting collection?) 

What were common amounts back then or which record was a small fortune back then? Thanks a lot

In addition, I agree with "Bbrich" to estimate how often the listed copies exist. Probably "sought after" would then very quickly be joined by the adjective "rare"

Finally, I would also like to emphasize the wish of "Baz A." to do this with Xover or Modern - I personally would be interested in the "Deep Soul" section - maybe someone could radio sir shambling !? 

UK-Stay Safe

Zanetti

30 years ago for instance i bought  the silhouettes, ree flores, servicemen sweet magic,  inspirations your wish for £100..professionals was £200..tomangoes £250.. but in the 70s they will have all been south of £25

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mark. Hope your keeping safe and well.  This is a fantastic post and thanks for taking the time and effort to comply the list  but it does raise a question on the actual rarity of some of these records when there's a few people saying that they own or have owned them.  Not that I'm doubting anyone.  I'm sure in some cases people that have owned them and replied on here have sold them, probably to people that have also replied to this post 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

30 years ago for instance i bought  the silhouettes, ree flores, servicemen sweet magic,  inspirations your wish for £100..professionals was £200..tomangoes £250.. but in the 70s they will have all been south of £25

wow - ok. thx for replying
those were some pretty hefty buzzes at that time, weren't they?
Partly maybe even half of an average monthly wage.
Of course not to compare with today's time, but I wouldn't have thought so.
But those weren't prices from the record shop, were they?
For how much would a Lester Tipton have been offered in a record shop, or let it be the Tomangoes? Hmmm ... you probably also have to differentiate how far the term rarity was split up at that time ... 

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

wow - ok. thx for replying
those were some pretty hefty buzzes at that time, weren't they?
Partly maybe even half of an average monthly wage.
Of course not to compare with today's time, but I wouldn't have thought so.
But those weren't prices from the record shop, were they?
For how much would a Lester Tipton have been offered in a record shop, or let it be the Tomangoes? Hmmm ... you probably also have to differentiate how far the term rarity was split up at that time ... 

lady in green was £1000... job opening black/silver demo was £1000..admirations on peaches £500..hytones and capitals on omen £250....vanguards on lamp £150 lester tipton probably not 4 figures at the time.. i did see one at cleethorpes winter gardens in a box to buy.. nice copy..guy said make me an offer but was broke at the time..i did say tomangoes was 250 which it probably was all thru the 90`s not a rare record compared to lester tipton...think the first £1000 record in my memory was robby lawson.. wages havent gone up like records have but we all know that..   but records like gene woodbury and the soul communicaters i pulled out of boxes for £20 each... minnie jones was £15 from pat brady in the early 90s...rhonda davis on duke was £5 ..puts it into perspective..i couldnt afford to buy even the bottom end of these now so i`m glad i held onto a few 

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Revisited the list to check out some of those I didn’t know.  Some cracking tune.

i had forgotten all about Milton James on dore.  Brilliant record.

one I’ve not seen mentioned yet but was one of the best records played on many nights for me

primers how does it grab you

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Revisited the list to check out some of those I didn’t know.  Some cracking tune.

i had forgotten all about Milton James on dore.  Brilliant record.

one I’ve not seen mentioned yet but was one of the best records played on many nights for me

primers how does it grab you

Primers is on there!? Isn’t it 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Dave Flynn sorted the list into alphabetical order over on FB which makes it more manageable to read.

A very entertaining and thought-provoking article and list Butch. As others have said it will aways be impossible for any listing like this to be 'definitive' or set in stone, so much will be down to personal experience and taste. External factors can change things over time. A box of Lester Tiptons turning up would be nice, but imagine having to remove a storied and mythical disc from the list.

Some paragraphs give a clue as to how to be an effective and successful record collector. I wish someone had given me the advice to never sell a good record until I had a spare. I know i've been guilty of selling proven gold to buy flavour-of-the-month sawdust. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Garethx said:

Dave Flynn sorted the list into alphabetical order over on FB which makes it more manageable to read.

A very entertaining and thought-provoking article and list Butch. As others have said it will aways be impossible for any listing like this to be 'definitive' or set in stone, so much will be down to personal experience and taste. External factors can change things over time. A box of Lester Tiptons turning up would be nice, but imagine having to remove a storied and mythical disc from the list.

Some paragraphs give a clue as to how to be an effective and successful record collector. I wish someone had given me the advice to never sell a good record until I had a spare. I know i've been guilty of selling proven gold to buy flavour-of-the-month sawdust. 

Not impossible either, if you look what happened with Danny Moore, that was rarer than Tipton at one point. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Garethx said:

For those of us who are not on Facebook could someone please screenshot or copy / paste it on to here. Thank you 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I just started a rough price total for the list , ( from Popsike ) got to about £90,000 for the first 20 odd titles before Popsike decided I'd used up my quota of searches for the day ... :(

Might take a while to complete at this rate but I'm too tight to go 'pro' ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

For those of us who are not on Facebook could someone please screenshot or copy / paste it on to here. Thank you 

ask can we hold fire with this request

have asked mark @neckender the list author via pm, how he wants to deal with this sort of thing, as it may lead to possible confusion/problems both now and in the future if different versions of the list do start getting posted

once he lets us know can take it from there

cheers

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Reminds me of Martin Koppells list in Discoveries / Goldmine Wants back in the 90's - used it as a reference as he sectioned it by price he was prepared to pay for a m- copy - A to Z by value divisions $50 - $500. Need to go back up in the loft - think I've still got the copy.

Currently got or had 108 of this list - many multi-copies over the 50 yrs since starting to collect rare soul. Nice to be reminded of so many - will need to review my wants and have a listen to the ones I don't know and there's a good few of them. We learn something new every day and in my opinion it's always been about expanding our/my knowledge of our vast musical genre.

Should keep me busy since retiring last week.

Happy hunting

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 21:02, pumpkinseed said:

Nice list that ! Over thirty five years of collecting managed to obtain 255 of em ' been reduced to 146 now , been fun collecting them . Not much fun these days , totally changed ( for the worse ) . 

Do you still have 'Moods'?

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Having read and listened to what i must admit is a great compilation of sought after vinyl, I have one tiny itch. To me Brand New Faces is just a poor over dub of "Bobby James - I Really Love You" which I really do love (No pun intended). Just my personal view Mark! (PS I honestly don't know which came first I only know Bobby's take was released in '69).

Kirsty

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Gold Band said:

Having read and listened to what i must admit is a great compilation of sought after vinyl, I have one tiny itch. To me Brand New Faces is just a poor over dub of "Bobby James - I Really Love You" which I really do love (No pun intended). Just my personal view Mark! (PS I honestly don't know which came first I only know Bobby's take was released in '69).

Kirsty

I agree,brand new faces very poor....but bobby James doesn’t t really grab me either....it has to be the jimmy burns for in ya face impact!

Edited by Dobber
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Dobber said:

I agree,brand new faces very poor....but bobby James doesn’t t really grab me either....it has to be the jimmy burns for in ya face impact!

Luckily Mark catered for both our tastes 😁 someone else will probably tell us were both wrong.....

Kirsty

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2020 at 17:03, Mike said:

have asked mark @neckender the list author via pm, how he wants to deal with this sort of thing, as it may lead to possible confusion/problems both now and in the future if different versions of the list do start getting posted

cheers

Mike.

Did Mark ever get back to you regarding this . ?

Thanks

Social source share

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Baldsoulie said:

bit late to the party but here is the list in alphabetical artist order 

@Baldsoulie thanks for taking the effort to post but as Mark @neckender the author of the list 

requested to leave things as they were

have to ask can you drop/remove the list 

thanks

On 09/07/2020 at 17:03, Mike said:

cheers

On 19/09/2020 at 14:57, Mike said:

yep, Marks reply was along the lines of leave things as they are for now 👍

cheers

Social source share

Great article, sorry that I missed it first time around. I have about 20 of them and there are 3 or 4 that I have owned but sold because I actually didn't really like the record, I just bought them because I have the cash at the time and knew that if I held onto them for a few years they would go up in value, which they all did.😉

Social source share

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 15:06, Dave Pinch said:

Old post by now but 30 plus-plus years for these items at these prices. More like 35 to 40 years ago at least for such refelecting prices IME. 30 years only would set you back to 1990...

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Old post by now but 30 plus-plus years for these items at these prices. More like 35 to 40 years ago at least for such refelecting prices IME. 30 years only would set you back to 1990...

That’s when they were bought.. 1989  to around 1995.. pre internet.. may be a case of it’s not what you know it’s who you know.. the prices are exactly what I paid for them tim

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/07/2020 at 11:49, Chalky said:

Saus has the only copy that I know of (in this country), one in the states I think that I was aware of.  Not to say there are not others mind.  It's the same as the Arter Set if memory serves but the two don't compare tbh.  It's far too fast for us old timers too.  

The Defenders - Sermon (When I'm Down) - Sama.mp3 2.12 MB · 1,244 downloads

It might have been rare when Saus first got that Defenders, but it isnt so rare now. Ive had quite a few through my hands since that earlier period that you mentioned. And other people too.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, neckender said:

It might have been rare when Saus first got that Defenders, but it isnt so rare now. Ive had quite a few through my hands since that earlier period that you mentioned. And other people too.

Seen a few in recent times, one not so long ago that went fairly cheap. Can't say I've ever heard anyone else play it out though?  Heard it on a couple of radio shows.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Seen a few in recent times, one not so long ago that went fairly cheap. Can't say I've ever heard anyone else play it out though?  Heard it on a couple of radio shows.

Chalky, Ill give it a spin the next time we're out somewhere and you can show me how to dance to it!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

121of them not including doubles & multiples and hopefully what's left will be gone by the end of the year but enjoyed every minute of owning every one of them but time to let go!!

Edited by Mrtag
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 20:11, neckender said:

Chalky, Ill give it a spin the next time we're out somewhere and you can show me how to dance to it!!

Now that I would pay money to see..marching powder and all! A very complete list of records that certainly does the job you intended - a journey through the exciting decades of all-nighters.

On 14/06/2022 at 20:11, neckender said:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Really enjoyed this thread so big up for all your input.

Over the years of buying and swopping records (Very rarely sold Records, Only when had a clear out to Black Knight Records and Some Auctioned through Manship)

Of Neckenders List.....

I still have 38 of those and i let go 20 in Swops for other big ticket items, And Auction JM, the stuff i did through B K Records  as clear out were just run of the mill  Northern stuff no longer wanted/needed

Social source share

• 9 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 13:55, Zanetti said:

UK-Stay Safe

Zanetti

The image below is from an August 1976 list from Paul Rudzitis. Eddie Rey for £6 , so about £50 in today's money.

The George Payton is not the one on the most sought after list but is today £500 median on the 'Ogs.

Cliff Goldsmith Orch is seriously obscure it seems and was £10  on Rudzy's previous list.

Rudzy would tend to identify pressings and reissues on his lists but Eula Cooper for 50p had to be a reissue didn't it? (It was seen on a few of his lists at the time. Also he had Eddie Foster listed for £2 but as a Demo so that must have been a reissue?

A couple more on the same 1976 list that I'm pretty sure were originals, and almost certainly M- as just dead stock at the time:

Chico Lamarr - £1

William Cummings - £1.50       

Would people like Rudzy have got these from John Anderson at the time do you think?

IMG_8882_2.thumb.jpg.1aab0cf9f92ca780d40ce3b3da755639.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/12/2023 at 11:36, Candiman said:

The image below is from an August 1976 list from Paul Rudzitis. Eddie Rey for £6 , so about £50 in today's money.

The George Payton is not the one on the most sought after list but is today £500 median on the 'Ogs.

Cliff Goldsmith Orch is seriously obscure it seems and was £10  on Rudzy's previous list.

Rudzy would tend to identify pressings and reissues on his lists but Eula Cooper for 50p had to be a reissue didn't it? (It was seen on a few of his lists at the time. Also he had Eddie Foster listed for £2 but as a Demo so that must have been a reissue?

A couple more on the same 1976 list that I'm pretty sure were originals, and almost certainly M- as just dead stock at the time:

Chico Lamarr - £1

William Cummings - £1.50       

Would people like Rudzy have got these from John Anderson at the time do you think?

IMG_8882_2.thumb.jpg.1aab0cf9f92ca780d40ce3b3da755639.jpg

Cliff Goldsmith ,Eddie Rey and George Byrd were all bootlegged ,in smaller quantities than most 45’s at the time .The Specials and Oscar Perry would have been originals ,not expensive at the time .Things like Eula Cooper and Ollie Jackson were almost certainly bootlegs .As an indication ,about 1978 I payed £12 for an original Eula Cooper.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Interesting. As I said Rudzy was identifying reissues and pressings on some releases at least on his lists.

So if they were bootlegs ,either:

he didn't know they were;

It was generally accepted on the scene  they must be;

He was being naughty.

I was never really into the Northern scene, just general Soul/funk, but I have become increasingly fascinated by it over the years. Bootleg v original must have been a minefield back then unless you were deeply into the scene.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Candiman said:

Interesting. As I said Rudzy was identifying reissues and pressings on some releases at least on his lists.

So if they were bootlegs ,either:

he didn't know they were;

It was generally accepted on the scene  they must be;

He was being naughty.

I was never really into the Northern scene, just general Soul/funk, but I have become increasingly fascinated by it over the years. Bootleg v original must have been a minefield back then unless you were deeply into the scene.

A lot who were around at the time say that original copies were considered a bit passe after a tune was booted or reissued, still desirable but the turn over was high, people moved onto searching for the latest sound rather than something that now deemed an oldie. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!