George Lemons - Fascinating Girl: John Manship auction.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Thanks Mike. Definitely some superior copies here. Maybe Soul Source is the best place to find a really nice copy of George Lemons🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

On 03/08/2020 at 16:51, Nick Soule said:

Is this your record that’s being auctioned, Frankie Crocker? 

If you read the whole thread, you’ll see that it is not. I already have the record and I would never sell it.

32 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

Im staggered at the price 5K ??

Ted, that's pocket change for a collector like yourself. Hope you’re well mate.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

If you read the whole thread, you’ll see that it is not. I already have the record and I would never sell it.

Ted, that's pocket change for a collector like yourself. Hope you’re well mate.

I wish bud 😂 one of my better purchases 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Finished at £3,717. No frantic last minute activity on this one. Surprised it did not go above 4K. My particular interest in the record was largely due to owning a copy in similar condition. The sleeve of mine has been customised by Gold Soul and hand-stamped by a rubber-print stamp. I paid $1,300 for it about 25 years ago, top-whack for what it was fetching in those days. Pleased my investment was worthwhile in more ways than one.

John often gives a little back-story on the prime pieces he auctions, but not this one...

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

The last four posts on this thread all own a copy. So is it really that rare ? And worth nearly 4k

By the way I love this tune so I'm not knocking it.  

i dont think 4 copies within all members of soul source is a lot in the grand scheme..altho if we did a poll there may be 10 or a dozen who have it on here... its a rare record..not lady in green rare but rarer than the professionals or tomangoes.. and those two have hit 5k in recent sales

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

i dont think 4 copies within all members of soul source is a lot in the grand scheme..altho if we did a poll there may be 10 or a dozen who have it on here... its a rare record..not lady in green rare but rarer than the professionals or tomangoes.. and those two have hit 5k in recent sales

I've got one 😄When we all start heading off to the care homes in another 10 years they'll be loads coming up for sale.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

Dave. That was in the last four posts not all members then John A added one so that's 5 in six posts.  Think that there will be a few more than 10 or a dozen members who own it.  Mostly people who will remain under the covers   

Lady in green.  Now we are talking rare and brilliant 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. That was in the last four posts not all members then John A added one so that's 5 in six posts.  Think that there will be a few more than 10 or a dozen members who own it.  Mostly people who will remain under the covers   

Lady in green.  Now we are talking rare and brilliant 

no hope for tomangoes and professionals then.. why do people pay 4 and 5 k for common records lol

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

Even if a dozen or two Soul Source members have the record, and some quite possibly own those listed on Popsike, it is still a very scarce record. I rather thought the Professionals was a harder one to come by but I’ve not checked Popsike on this one lately; probably seen more Professionals offered on Soul Source than eBay in recent times.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

Lady is green also having a brilliant flip.

and tomangoes along with Eddie Parker must be the very best classic oldies just simple out and out northern.  They define the genre to me.

Edited by Dylan
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

theres been 20 copies thru ebay in the last 15 years.. (popsike only goes from 2004/5)  only 4 copies in the last 5 years tho and they are the bigger money ones the cheaper vg copy out of that bunch now resides with my buddy gary steele in barnsley..20 copies not a lot in the grand scheme of things

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Finished at £3,717. No frantic last minute activity on this one. Surprised it did not go above 4K. My particular interest in the record was largely due to owning a copy in similar condition. The sleeve of mine has been customised by Gold Soul and hand-stamped by a rubber-print stamp. I paid $1,300 for it about 25 years ago, top-whack for what it was fetching in those days. Pleased my investment was worthwhile in more ways than one.

John often gives a little back-story on the prime pieces he auctions, but not this one...

I have the same hand-stamped sleeve with my copy.  Thought it was relatively unique, clearly not so.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Hayden Road said:

I counted 20 originals of George Lemons showing up on popsike.   By comparison there are 13 copies of Patty Stokes showing on Popsike.   

Be that as it may, Patti Stokes WAS around in quantity you used to see it in every sales box and everyone I knew had a copy...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Tony Smith said:

Be that as it may, Patti Stokes WAS around in quantity you used to see it in every sales box and everyone I knew had a copy...

Will there be examples of rare soul where nearly all the stock of certain titles ended up in the U.K. via northern dealers and collectors and they are very rare elsewhere ?

Social source share

I’m not a fan of the record but can appreciate it has a cult status on the scene and would always get a good response in a club.

there was a time after first hearing it I quite liked it but the more I heard it the less I liked it.

It has a lounge singer feel to it for me.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Hayden Road said:

I counted 20 originals of George Lemons showing up on popsike.   By comparison there are 13 copies of Patty Stokes showing on Popsike.   

I made it 19. One copy is double-counted as the bidder did not pay so it was re-auctioned. Patti Stokes was the auction surprise finishing at c£1,500, jumping from c£900 in the closing seconds.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I’m not a fan of the record but can appreciate it has a cult status on the scene and would always get a good response in a club.

there was a time after first hearing it I quite liked it but the more I heard it the less I liked it.

It has a lounge singer feel to it for me.

Try owning it - you might change your mind.

I was never overly fond of Eddie Whitehead until I found a copy a few years ago. Then I started to appreciate it. Later on, I went to a Soul Night and John Manship spun it to a great response - since then, it just gets better and better when I play it.

1 hour ago, Davey S said:

Truly awful record .

Dave.

Compared to what...?

Social source share

4 hours ago, Tony Smith said:Be that as it may, Patti Stokes WAS around in quantity you used to see it in every sales box and everyone I knew had a copy...

Not  me, boo hoo😢

I was gutted when John’s last copy went for £300-400 and had been waiting patiently for the next nice, affordable copy to surface... Trouble is, a lot of people still want this record pretty badly.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tony Smith said:

probably the same quantity as jimmie bo horn..dont think anyone seriously wanted to keep it tho as the northern side isnt great and the flip is seriously in fashion

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Try owning it - you might change your mind.

I was never overly fond of Eddie Whitehead until I found a copy a few years ago. Then I started to appreciate it. Later on, I went to a Soul Night and John Manship spun it to a great response - since then, it just gets better and better when I play it.

Compared to what...?

I see what you mean. Both records have great bits in it, but other bits where the singers seem to lose concentration.

Just about sums up all the records I love..

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 05/08/2020 at 18:16, Frankie Crocker said:

any chance of a scan of the sleeve ????

Social source share

1 hour ago, 25miles said:

any chance of a scan of the sleeve ????

I’ve been meaning to get round to doing, it but have not mastered the technology.

The plan is to do a separate thread on it captioned ‘Try phoning this number for a free copy of George Lemons’.

Scooterboy also has the same sleeve so he might be able to scan his.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!